2008+ 3.0L Oil Filter Location

wchain

Has anyone else noticed that the 2008 3.0L V6 oil filter is in a pretty much impossible place to access without burning yourself on the exhaust flange and Oxygen sensor?

The 01-04s were tight, and the 05-07 seemed easier to access (looked like they changed the oil filter adapter design to have easier access?).

Now the 2008, I see that they have moved the Manifold 'farther' from the oil pan, which restricts access to the oil filter and now its almost damn near impossible to access the oil filter without pulling the plastic shield down thats part of the lower radiator shield.

Did they think about this when they made the change? The flange and O2 sensor are RIGHT in the way of removing the filter one one side, the other side is the AC compressor and line. Even on a lift, its hard to remove the filter without burning the crap out of your arm to access the filter.

And whats the reason for the drain plugs being finger tight, but the oil filter being applied with a million ft-lbs of torque? I've changed oil on 6 2008 V6 escapes, and every one of them has an oil filter that is impossibly tight.

I'd like to hear others experiences with removing the oil filters on these 2008s....

Has anyone else noticed that the 2008 3.0L V6 oil filter is in a pretty much impossible place to access without burning yourself on the exhaust flange and Oxygen sensor?

The 01-04s were tight, and the 05-07 seemed easier to access (looked like they changed the oil filter adapter design to have easier access?).

Now the 2008, I see that they have moved the Manifold 'farther' from the oil pan, which restricts access to the oil filter and now its almost damn near impossible to access the oil filter without pulling the plastic shield down thats part of the lower radiator shield.

Did they think about this when they made the change? The flange and O2 sensor are RIGHT in the way of removing the filter one one side, the other side is the AC compressor and line. Even on a lift, its hard to remove the filter without burning the crap out of your arm to access the filter.

And whats the reason for the drain plugs being finger tight, but the oil filter being applied with a million ft-lbs of torque? I've changed oil on 6 2008 V6 escapes, and every one of them has an oil filter that is impossibly tight.

I'd like to hear others experiences with removing the oil filters on these 2008s....

Just wait until it cools down....

• 2 weeks later...

I always heard you are supposed to change oil when the engine is warm, that may be an old wives tale. EVERY new Ford I've owned has the oil filter on tight as if the Hulk is twisting those on at the factory. I dread the first oil change, then it's ok after that with the the new Fram filter I replace it with!

I always heard you are supposed to change oil when the engine is warm, that may be an old wives tale. EVERY new Ford I've owned has the oil filter on tight as if the Hulk is twisting those on at the factory. I dread the first oil change, then it's ok after that with the the new Fram filter I replace it with!

The reason the engine should be warm is to allow the oil to flow more freely so more of the old oil can be drained faster.

• 2 weeks later...

I always change oil when it's warm-to-hot as well.

Is the top part of the filter easily accessible, as it was on the 2005-2007 models? If it is, I used a cap-type filter wrench to loosen the filter, then I trapped all of the oil that falls out with the lower section of a large Dasani plastic water bottle, cut to about 1" longer than the length of the filter.

The bottle traps all of the hot oil, and it's snug enough around the filter to loosen it. No mess, and no burned hands.

HTH...

You are correct, but I usually drain my oil when I can let it drain over night. That really gets the oil out.

I agree. I think they have HELLBOY install the oil filters at the factory. Using his BIG hand.