2009.5 Ford F-150 Diesel Testing, Coud Get 350 hp

WE DON'T NEED HUGE HORSEPOWER IN A F-150 DIESEL !!!! WE NEED FUEL ECONOMY !!!! I just wish that someone at Ford could grasp this. Give me 250 hp and 20 MPG in town. If I have to use a manual for that, so be it. If you need those big horsepower and torque numbers, move up tp the Super Duty. Oh, and since I am ranting, make it available in all configurations. Yes even the regular cab, shortbox. Some of us need the short wheelbase for our applications. :banghead:

Edited by Mower Man

Mower man, if by we, you mean you, then I'm sure you are right. Otherwise speak for your self.

I will place my order for the 4.4 as soon as it is available. I wanted to pull my enclosed trailer with my '68 Cougar in it to LA for the Cougar Nationals event this weekend. No can do with current 2005 F150 unless I a keep the speeds down to 55 mph. Not a safe thing to do on I10 where the limit is 75. I think this is the ideal solution for the 90% of the time I don't need an F250 that won't fit in my garage any way. Now if I can just get used to that ugly grill....

Mower man, if by we, you mean you, then I'm sure you are right. Otherwise speak for your self.

I will place my order for the 4.4 as soon as it is available. I wanted to pull my enclosed trailer with my '68 Cougar in it to LA for the Cougar Nationals event this weekend. No can do with current 2005 F150 unless I a keep the speeds down to 55 mph. Not a safe thing to do on I10 where the limit is 75. I think this is the ideal solution for the 90% of the time I don't need an F250 that won't fit in my garage any way. Now if I can just get used to that ugly grill....

I will speak for my application to clarify. The truck is used on a daily basis for parts running, pulling a trailer for pickup and delivery of machines and as a personal vehicle. My loads with the trailer are in the 2000 lbs. range. Parts loads are not worth even mentioning the weight, but they often require a pick up.

I believe that the majority of people driving the F-150 are not using it to pull heavy loads. Contractors, couriers and most commercial users need a pick up for the box, not the towing capacities. The people using the F-150 for a grocery getter certainly don't need the big horsepower numbers. "WE" need an F-150 that will get better MPG's. I think that the stock holders of FOMOCO need an F-150 that gets better MPG's. For your towing needs, you should probably have a Super Duty. The logic that it doesn't fit in your garage has little to do with the weight you or anyone else is pulling.

I'll wait to see what the revised 5.4L and 6 speed combo will deliver. Right now I am getting over 16.5mpg combined with a 5.4l, extended cab, 4x4, and 3.55 gears. Over 17mpg is a real possibility...of course you have to drive like an old man to get those figures. The benchmark shouldn't be against older trucks...but the revised power train debuting soon.

• 2 weeks later...
WE DON'T NEED HUGE HORSEPOWER IN A F-150 DIESEL !!!! WE NEED FUEL ECONOMY !!!! I just wish that someone at Ford could grasp this. Give me 250 hp and 20 MPG in town. If I have to use a manual for that, so be it. If you need those big horsepower and torque numbers, move up tp the Super Duty. Oh, and since I am ranting, make it available in all configurations. Yes even the regular cab, shortbox. Some of us need the short wheelbase for our applications. :banghead:

That's the great thing about diesels. Your right foot can dictate the fuel burn much more than in a gasser. Yes, a 4.4 optimized for 250 hp may get a little better mpg than a 4.4 optimized for 350hp, But if your right foot is only demanding 200hp out of either one, the mpgs will be about even.