Clean / Unscheduled to getting a VIN

tazjedi

Can anyone say about how long before an order that is in a status of Clean / Unscheduled gets a VIN number? I ordered my FEHL4WD on 5/17/08 and it finally reached this stage of the ordering process. As you can tell I am anxious to get the new vehicle before we loose the oppertunity for the tax incentive. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Can anyone say about how long before an order that is in a status of Clean / Unscheduled gets a VIN number? I ordered my FEHL4WD on 5/17/08 and it finally reached this stage of the ordering process. As you can tell I am anxious to get the new vehicle before we loose the oppertunity for the tax incentive. Thank you for any information you can provide.

I ordered mine on 5/8/08 and just received my VIN. I wouldn't worry about the tax incentive, I received a copy of a Ford memo on Friday and the full tax credit will be available at least through the end of the year. As of June 30th they had only sold 55,090 FEH/MMH.

I ordered mine on 5/8/08 and just received my VIN. I wouldn't worry about the tax incentive, I received a copy of a Ford memo on Friday and the full tax credit will be available at least through the end of the year. As of June 30th they had only sold 55,090 FEH/MMH.

Ordered ours on 5/26/08, should be getting VIN in about another 3 weeks per dealership.

Ordered ours on 5/26/08, should be getting VIN in about another 3 weeks per dealership.

Glad to hear the dealership is providing you with dates of when you should get your VIN. Maybe I am just being impatient about this, seems like there should be a better self service option.

Dealerships now require email addresses they should enter that in on the order and then when any change in order status Ford should auto-send out an update or something like this. Improving customer service could only help in improving sales. :reading:

Glad to hear the dealership is providing you with dates of when you should get your VIN. Maybe I am just being impatient about this, seems like there should be a better self service option.

Dealerships now require email addresses they should enter that in on the order and then when any change in order status Ford should auto-send out an update or something like this. Improving customer service could only help in improving sales. :reading:

I invite you to view the Wish List forum, where my idea for an online tracking system similar to what you suggest was panned as unrealistic, unnecessary and down right stupid.

I invite you to view the Wish List forum, where my idea for an online tracking system similar to what you suggest was panned as unrealistic, unnecessary and down right stupid.

:redcard: How can they mark any good idea as unrealistic, unnecessary and down right stupid? Maybe we need to start all suggesting the same idea and if Ford gets enough requests for a great tracking system they would create it. This would save employees having to track during there personnel time. Which once I get my VIN I will be happy they do this, but for now this service that these wonderful employees provide does not help. :stats: Oh well. Maybe by the time I order another vehicle.

:redcard: How can they mark any good idea as unrealistic, unnecessary and down right stupid?

It wasn't a Ford executive's idea, therefore it is "unrealistic, unnecessary and down right stupid. :doh:

I don't really think Ford is into the actual concept of "customer service." I once sent an email to their online support address and asked for clarification of conflicting data I received from different dealerships (what type of spare tire and wheel is on the MMH and FEH), explaining that I had received conflicting data from multiple dealerships. The genius who responded advised, "your dealer will be happy to answer your question."

Duh.

There are some manufacturer's (the Mini comes to mind and maybe the Smart?), that provide a means for you to track your order.

Personally, I think it would increase sales, giving customers a "sense of ownership" of their virtual vehicle. Instead of spending a fortune on ineffective advertising (which is an extra fee on our purchase), they should try to be innovative and exploit the available technology and the higher level of geekieness that exist in the general population.

Never mind. I am just a stupid wanna be customer. :finger:

:stirpot:

It wasn't a Ford executive's idea, therefore it is "unrealistic, unnecessary and down right stupid. :doh:

I don't really think Ford is into the actual concept of "customer service." I once sent an email to their online support address and asked for clarification of conflicting data I received from different dealerships (what type of spare tire and wheel is on the MMH and FEH), explaining that I had received conflicting data from multiple dealerships. The genius who responded advised, "your dealer will be happy to answer your question."

Duh.

There are some manufacturer's (the Mini comes to mind and maybe the Smart?), that provide a means for you to track your order.

Personally, I think it would increase sales, giving customers a "sense of ownership" of their virtual vehicle. Instead of spending a fortune on ineffective advertising (which is an extra fee on our purchase), they should try to be innovative and exploit the available technology and the higher level of geekieness that exist in the general population.

Never mind. I am just a stupid wanna be customer. :finger:

:stirpot:

Yes, but if technology such as bluetooth can read your entire phonebook into the vehicle and through the new Sync system you can make a phone call then ideas like customer self service are just around the corner from reality. Remember the days of rotary phones or just having to be connected to a land line. Technology is changing and making us more connected and the desire for information on hand 24/7 is growing. This requirement if cusomers want it will one day have it as a reality. Just think back to when we had to use dial-up and now how we have wireless from the palm of our hand. We can read this message board from anywhere. Where will the next wave of technology take us?

Yes, but if technology such as bluetooth can read your entire phonebook into the vehicle and through the new Sync system you can make a phone call then ideas like customer self service are just around the corner from reality. Remember the days of rotary phones or just having to be connected to a land line. Technology is changing and making us more connected and the desire for information on hand 24/7 is growing. This requirement if cusomers want it will one day have it as a reality. Just think back to when we had to use dial-up and now how we have wireless from the palm of our hand. We can read this message board from anywhere. Where will the next wave of technology take us?

Don't kock accustic modems and dial-up. :doh: They're a bit slow in this age of fiber optics or even DSL. And yes, occasionally, you do lose your connecti.......

Don't kock accustic modems and dial-up. :doh: They're a bit slow in this age of fiber optics or even DSL. And yes, occasionally, you do lose your connecti.......

I am not really knocking old dial-up technology, but explaining that over time technology has evolved. Who would have thought ten years ago that most IT professionals and now even most Business professionals would carry a PDA. We are in the information age and we do have a demand for information at our fingertips.

I am not really knocking old dial-up technology, but explaining that over time technology has evolved. Who would have thought ten years ago that most IT professionals and now even most Business professionals would carry a PDA. We are in the information age and we do have a demand for information at our fingertips.

Sigh. I remember when information at your fingertips meant carrying a bunch of punched cards around in your hand (and hope you didn't drop them). After the first $500 HP pocket calculator came out, it was all downhill from there. :hyper:

Edited by fmorriso

Sigh. I remember when information at your fingertips meant carrying a bunch of punched cards around in your hand (and hope you didn't drop them). After the first $500 HP pocket calculator came out, it was all downhill from there. :hyper:

OMG...dropping those ugly blue punchcards and trying to get them back into order was such a PITA!!!

OMG...dropping those ugly blue punchcards and trying to get them back into order was such a PITA!!!

LOL, I remember backing up programs onto paper tape. And as to the 80 column IBM cards, I cursed the person who invented COBOL. A stack of cards 3 or 4 inches high even for the simplest program. Thank God I only used COBOL in school.

LOL, I remember backing up programs onto paper tape. And as to the 80 column IBM cards, I cursed the person who invented COBOL. A stack of cards 3 or 4 inches high even for the simplest program. Thank God I only used COBOL in school.

Steering back onto the subject.....aren't we all glad that the Ford Escape Hybrid, with all it's sophisticated software to control the "energy flow" does not include a CTRL+ALT+DEL key set to "reboot" your vehicle?

Oh! Wait a minute. Wait just a dang gum minute. Those things have Sync from Microsoft. Would somebody who has taken delivery please verify there isn't some hidden compartment that holds a tiny QWERTY keyboard with a little paper seal (like the ones on toilets at hotels) that says something like "do not use unless directed by a Ford service technician or in dire emergency"? :shades:

Steering back onto the subject.....aren't we all glad that the Ford Escape Hybrid, with all it's sophisticated software to control the "energy flow" does not include a CTRL+ALT+DEL key set to "reboot" your vehicle?

Oh! Wait a minute. Wait just a dang gum minute. Those things have Sync from Microsoft. Would somebody who has taken delivery please verify there isn't some hidden compartment that holds a tiny QWERTY keyboard with a little paper seal (like the ones on toilets at hotels) that says something like "do not use unless directed by a Ford service technician or in dire emergency"? :shades:

Well the Sync system does come with USB Input... :blah:

The genius who responded advised, "your dealer will be happy to answer your question."

Duh.

Ford doesn't sell anything to you. You are not a customer of Ford's. You are a customer of some dealer, and it is that dealer who is suppose to deal with their customers.

Yea, today, we really don't care about such business divisions. We expect all manufacturers to support us directly.

Ford (and the other US car manufacturers too), just don't understand, let alone embrace, that change. Yet.

Personally, I would like it if Ford just took one small baby step in that direction, and allowed customers to check the real-time status of their new car order on line, without the need to talk to any living person.

Edited by Walt

Ford doesn't sell anything to you. You are not a customer of Ford's. You are a customer of some dealer, and it is that dealer who is suppose to deal with their customers.

Yea, today, we really don't care about such business divisions. We expect all manufacturers to support us directly.

Ford (and the other US car manufacturers too), just don't understand, let alone embrace, that change. Yet.

Personally, I would like it if Ford just took one small baby step in that direction, and allowed customers to check the real-time status of their new car order on line, without the need to talk to any living person.

Well then we would live in a world where corporations looked out for there customers instead of the dealers and middleman that we deal with. What a nice thought.

Back to the Sync System. What happens when the system gets a Blue Screen Of Death. Is it going to be instead a sound of death and the car just stops. Anyone have any issues with this system yet?

I both agree and disagree with this statement. You are correct that Ford does not sell us anything. But when buying a new car we are ultimately the customers of the manufacturer. The dealerships are nothing more than brokers for the sale. There are good brokers, bad brokers and sleezy brokers, but once the sale is made we are not tied to that dealership/broker and ultimately Ford, in the case of such things as warranty repairs and such, makes the final decisions in regards to our vehicles.

In an ideal world Ford would as a courtesey to the dealerships make order tracking available to the end consumers to help reduce workload by eliminating the customers need to call and ask for order statuses. This would also help dealership salespeople (not all as some don't care and others are already honest) be more forthcomming when selling a vehicle that needs to be ordered.

When I buy something from Sears, I'm not buying from the local "Sears dealer".

When I buy something from Ford, I'm not buying from the local "Ford dealer".

When Ford figures out this simple, yet fundamental fact of life, they may actually win some new customers.

Did you ever purchase one of those big rist watches with the tiny sun dial and large roman numerals? Those were a bust because not only was it difficult to read XII:VI to sombody who asked for the current time, the sweep second hand always got stuck when it hit the sun dial. It didn't work too well indoors or at night either.