Touchscreen stopped working on 09 NAV

haydn12

The touchscreen on our 09 NAV system died today. The display is working but it doesn't respond to input. Buttons on the side work. This is a bummer because we are taking a trip in a couple days and need the navigation system working. We are taking it into the dealer tomorrow to see if they have a fix for it. I'm sure they don't have a replacement unit available.

Anyone know if the touchscreen has a lockout on it or if the navigation unit can be reset?

JimO

The touchscreen on our 09 NAV system died today. The display is working but it doesn't respond to input. Buttons on the side work. This is a bummer because we are taking a trip in a couple days and need the navigation system working. We are taking it into the dealer tomorrow to see if they have a fix for it. I'm sure they don't have a replacement unit available.

Anyone know if the touchscreen has a lockout on it or if the navigation unit can be reset?

JimO

Hi Jim. If the problem is not determined to be a simple loose connection or "user error" :D , the Dealer will simply replace the entire unit. Don't be surprised if they can get one by the end of the day or the next day.

Other than that, there is not much that can be done.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi Jim. If the problem is not determined to be a simple loose connection or "user error" :D , the Dealer will simply replace the entire unit. Don't be surprised if they can get one by the end of the day or the next day.

Other than that, there is not much that can be done.

Good luck. :beerchug:

We have had a replacement unit on order for 3 days now. You are right that they will not have one in stock. We didn't have a touch screen problem, our Sirius radio crapped out after one day of use.

So far I liked the features on our 08feh navigation much better than the 09, but the jury is still out on that.

09FEH

What specifically do you like about the '08 Nav over the '09?

ok here goes, just our observations (wife and I)

The hev screen was much easier to read on the 08. The battery level meter was larger and easier to read also. (the 08 had a battery that filled up green) the 09 has a little bar meter you can barely see.

When requesting hev info on the 09, you must hit the info button then the hev touch screen button. On the 08 you hit one info button and it went right to the hev screen.

The hev screen on the new unit is also delayed compared to the 08. When the ice starts on the 09, there is a delay before the inst econ drops from 60 to actual. On the 08, the inst econ was uch more sensative to changes.

Also, the orange writing on the "home screen" with the 09 is very difficult to see on the blue background. It was light blue or white on dark blue and easy to see at a glance.

The 08 was a 6 disc, the 09 is only one. Yes we know about the "jukebox" feature. It's a pia to load the music.

The 08 did not have sync, but we have found the voice controls to be completely useless. The sync picks the wrong choice 98% of the time. Both my wife and I have done the voice recognition and with or without, the system really does not work at all for us.

The sync plays my daughter's ipod fine, but it will not charge it.

We have tried four other usb devices and one usb player in the usb port and none of them work. (unecognized device message).

With the 08, the time and date always stayed on the "top" info center regardless of the radio being on or off. With the 09, as soon as you turn the radio on the time and date disappear, yet they DON'T show on the radio (without pressing buttons), this REALLY is a step backwards for us.

The 09 navigation has LESS streets than the 08 did. where streets used to show on the 08, the 09 now says unknown name or something similar.

One change we like in the 09 is the three screens in one (we just wish the mpg wasn't in orange). The sync bluetooth phone connect works GREAT with our Motorola Razr v3c. (the hands free part, NOT NOT NOT the voice command part. Asking it to call BOB and having it call DAD is NEVER a good thing (insert panic to hang up before the call goes thru).

The sirius ALWAYS worked in our 08, it worked for one day on our 09, but we are hoping the new radio on order will fix this and it will last longer!!!

Please don't FLAME this post, you asked and these are OUR opinions. Having owned BOTH year hybrids, the 09 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the 08 in MANY aspects. The radio is just not one of them.

Sean

The 08 did not have sync, but we have found the voice controls to be completely useless. The sync picks the wrong choice 98% of the time. Both my wife and I have done the voice recognition and with or without, the system really does not work at all for us.

The sync plays my daughter's ipod fine, but it will not charge it.

We have tried four other usb devices and one usb player in the usb port and none of them work. (unecognized device message).

The 09 navigation has LESS streets than the 08 did. where streets used to show on the 08, the 09 now says unknown name or something similar.

One change we like in the 09 is the three screens in one (we just wish the mpg wasn't in orange). The sync bluetooth phone connect works GREAT with our Motorola Razr v3c. (the hands free part, NOT NOT NOT the voice command part. Asking it to call BOB and having it call DAD is NEVER a good thing (insert panic to hang up before the call goes thru).

The sirius ALWAYS worked in our 08, it worked for one day on our 09, but we are hoping the new radio on order will fix this and it will last longer!!!

Please don't FLAME this post, you asked and these are OUR opinions. Having owned BOTH year hybrids, the 09 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the 08 in MANY aspects. The radio is just not one of them.

Sean

Thanks for your opinions Sean, if anyone were to flame you, they obviously need to grow a brain. Hopefully a lot of these problems will get fixed with updates. I use MS Voice Command on my Windows Mobile phone, which is essentially the same software MS uses for their Sync system in the Ford cars. I know all about the voice problems, although it works a lot better for me on my phone. If it really does not work 98% of the time for you, there has to be some sort of problem. Does your new Nav on order also replace the Sync system that came with your car? Also I'm surprised to hear that the USB port does not charge your iPod, theoretically it should have no problem there. I would imagine this would get fixed in a newer version, although I'm not sure if a software patch is enough to fix this functionality.

Let us know if your new Nav unit fixes any of these problems.

I had to use the voice recognition this weekend as I'm still having troubles with the touchscreen. The voice recognition was tricky to program destinations although I figured out ways to get it to work better and was able to navigate to our destination which was almost 400 miles from our house. The Sirius and Travel Link functions worked great and it recognized most of my commands the first time.

There appears to be a heat related problem with the touchscreen quitting. It will work when you first get in the car after it has been off for awhile. It will then quit after 10-15 minutes and that's it pretty much for the rest of the day. I've noticed that it doesn't always take some of the touchscreen commands a little bit before it totally quits working. So it's definitely not a loose connection. Time to get a replacement at the dealer.

Jim

Also I'm surprised to hear that the USB port does not charge your iPod, theoretically it should have no problem there.

My experience is more with cell phones than iPods.

I know that there are two types of USB cables; 4 pin and 5 pin. If one uses a 4 pin with a device that expects/needs a 5 pin, it may not recharge. Unfortunately, 4 pin and 5 pin cables use the same connectors, and therefore, many people don't realize the difference.

Also, some cell phones need "permission" to recharge, and don't simply do it automatically from the USB's +5v power source. Basically, when plugged in, the device will "ask" the radio "is it ok I charge?". If the radio doesn't reply at all, or doesn't reply "yes", then the device will not attempt to recharge itself. Basically, it is a data handshaking protocol.

My experience is more with cell phones than iPods.

I know that there are two types of USB cables; 4 pin and 5 pin. If one uses a 4 pin with a device that expects/needs a 5 pin, it may not recharge. Unfortunately, 4 pin and 5 pin cables use the same connectors, and therefore, many people don't realize the difference.

Also, some cell phones need "permission" to recharge, and don't simply do it automatically from the USB's +5v power source. Basically, when plugged in, the device will "ask" the radio "is it ok I charge?". If the radio doesn't reply at all, or doesn't reply "yes", then the device will not attempt to recharge itself. Basically, it is a data handshaking protocol.

Replacing the USB cable fixed the charging issue for my GPS device. Thank you for providing this information.