difference in 08 and 09

vichybrid

Is the gas mileage 1 mpg better and the braking a bit better? Is that all?

Is there a diff in size and interior design?

I know that the 08 didn't have the sync, but I was wondering what other nuances or features may be different.

On page 5 of this thread, you will find the 2009 Escape order guide that will show you everything that is new. The big difference for 2009 is the new 2.5 I4 engine, the 20% increase in horsepower for the V6 and the new 6 speed automatic transmissions for both engines, replacing the 4 speeds in the 2008 and previous models.

Is the gas mileage 1 mpg better and the braking a bit better? Is that all?

Is there a diff in size and interior design?

I know that the 08 didn't have the sync, but I was wondering what other nuances or features may be different.

I took a decent test drive in an '08 I4 and I bought the '09. The '09 definitely out performs the '08 in all areas. It is quiter, the handling is more surefooted and smoother. It is still throaty under heavy acceleration, but the accelleration is much better with smoother shifting from the new 6 speed auto. I don't know what the fuel mileage would have been with the '08, but in my non-hybrid gas model I am getting over 27 MPG driving around 19 miles each way on my daily commute. The drive is a combination of country roads and typical suburban driving with traffic lights and moderate stop and go. The interior is comparable and both years have very comfortable seats wih plenty of head and leg room. The exterior changes are so minor that you would really have to look to see the difference. A lot of the rating sites slam the car for the rear drum brakes, but I find them pretty comparable to 4 wheel disks in their effectiveness. I had the unfortunate opportunity to put them to the test on a panic stop yesterday when someone abruptly changed lanes on me and forced me in to the curb. The brakes kept me out of the worst damage but I will have to replace a tire with less than 800 miles on it. I passed up the end of year deals on the '08 and even with the great savings I could have had, I feel I ended up with a much better vehicle. IMO the '09 is without a doubt the way to go if you want better performance, better ride, handling and better mileage.

I took a decent test drive in an '08 I4 and I bought the '09. The '09 definitely out performs the '08 in all areas. It is quiter, the handling is more surefooted and smoother. It is still throaty under heavy acceleration, but the accelleration is much better with smoother shifting from the new 6 speed auto. I don't know what the fuel mileage would have been with the '08, but in my non-hybrid gas model I am getting over 27 MPG driving around 19 miles each way on my daily commute. The drive is a combination of country roads and typical suburban driving with traffic lights and moderate stop and go. The interior is comparable and both years have very comfortable seats wih plenty of head and leg room. The exterior changes are so minor that you would really have to look to see the difference. A lot of the rating sites slam the car for the rear drum brakes, but I find them pretty comparable to 4 wheel disks in their effectiveness. I had the unfortunate opportunity to put them to the test on a panic stop yesterday when someone abruptly changed lanes on me and forced me in to the curb. The brakes kept me out of the worst damage but I will have to replace a tire with less than 800 miles on it. I passed up the end of year deals on the '08 and even with the great savings I could have had, I feel I ended up with a much better vehicle. IMO the '09 is without a doubt the way to go if you want better performance, better ride, handling and better mileage.

Yikes...sorry to hear about the tire but I am glad you are okay. Did it damage the wheel any/much?

Yikes...sorry to hear about the tire but I am glad you are okay. Did it damage the wheel any/much?

Just a cut in the sidewall of the tire. Still driveable until I get a replacement on Tuesday. The Michelin Latitudes are so new that not many tire stores have ten yet. Only other damage was skid marks inside the car as well as on the street.

Did you drive an I4 and the V6? I will probably be looking at an AWD model in the late Spring or early summer and am curious if the 4 cylinder will be enough or if I will want the V6.

I4 indicates it was the in-line 4. The test drive and my Esacpe are both front wheel drive. Don't get all that much snow here in the mid-Atlantic area and I try to keep it on the streets so didn't go for te AWD.

I4 indicates it was the in-line 4. The test drive and my Esacpe are both front wheel drive. Don't get all that much snow here in the mid-Atlantic area and I try to keep it on the streets so didn't go for te AWD.

I know you said I4 but was just wondering if you had driven the V-6 for comparison. I am also in the mid-Atlantic but it is hilly here and my wife is sometimes required to be at work when the weather is less that pleasant out. I can telecommute from home twice a week or whenever the weather is bad so my Fusion is FWD.

I know you said I4 but was just wondering if you had driven the V-6 for comparison. I am also in the mid-Atlantic but it is hilly here and my wife is sometimes required to be at work when the weather is less that pleasant out. I can telecommute from home twice a week or whenever the weather is bad so my Fusion is FWD.

Nope sorry...I live in southern Maryland in bay country and I stuck with what would be most logical for my needs. No experience with the V6, but the stats indicate that the '09 I4 is comparable to the V6 in 0-60 acceleration. I have been riding it easy during the breakin period, but I have jumped on it a couple of times and I can only tell you that I would not hesitate to merge on any interstate with the I4. The performance and acceleration are both excellent for the 2.5 engine with FWD. I'll have to wait to see what it does if we ever get any snow again.

• 3 weeks later...

I can assure you they are 2 different animals. I almost bought an 08 til I read about the powertrain upgrades. I waited for the 09 and am glad I did. I have the v6/6 speed auto. It is quieter, more refined feeling, has much more power....The only similarity is the that they look the same....It cost me an extra 2 grand and was well woth it... I am getting over 26 mpg on everyday driving.... Oh, the new Michelin tires are a MAJOR improvment over the Contentials....