Test Before You Vote

mettech

Should a voter be given a test that cover the platforms of the candidates before they are allowed to cast their ballet? :stirpot:

Yes of No? and state reason.

How can a voter be trusted if they don't know the platform of the party of the record of each candidate? :finger:

A poll was competed on potential voters and many couldn't ID the presidential candidates.

They also couldn't state one platform topic from any of the parties.

A higher % of people couldn't ID their Congress Rep and Sen.

I often scoff about dumb people not being able to vote, but I don't really agree with it. Everyone should be allowed to vote if they are legally permitted to, regardless of their intelligence or knowledge. Sure, it may get us some idiots elected to office, but we're still a government of the people, by the people, and for the people. I'd say we've done pretty well as a nation so far allowing idiots to vote. :yup:

Could this be why a ‘B’ movie actor won a few years back? It is a popularity contest. The republicans have lost due to the mess created during Bush’s last term. Would McCain carry on as Bush? I really doubt it. He has much more liberal ideas.
As a student of history I must point out a fact that the mainstream constituency seems to never catch on to. The serious effects of almost any change in policy are most apparent a decade after said policy is enacted. Just as we are suffering now for Clinton's policies, the serious affects of the Bush administration wont be apparent until he is well out of office. Hence the unrepairable flaw in our political system, (because of the two term limit) pretty much any president is going to end up reaping the seeds sown by his forerunner and will be blamed or praised for the harvest.

By the way, I subscribe to the George Washington Democratic Theory. So save any partisan retorts.

Edited by Versa-Tech