2009 MMH Navigation

HeloCaptain

I just noticed that the mapping software is very out of date. There are freeway stretches here in SoCal that have been open for more than a year that do not appear on the map.

I had earlier decided that the POI database seemed to be thin, but now I suspect it is just old.

I know that Navteq has supplied portable GPS providers with valid maps, so they do exist.

Very disappointing find on an otherwise great vehicle.

I just noticed that the mapping software is very out of date. There are freeway stretches here in SoCal that have been open for more than a year that do not appear on the map.

I had earlier decided that the POI database seemed to be thin, but now I suspect it is just old.

I know that Navteq has supplied portable GPS providers with valid maps, so they do exist.

on the 09? with the new (next-gen) navigation?

I am surprised. but check with Ford who supplied them with map DVD's - navteq or teleatlas and see whether you have the most recent one - if they supplied you with an outdated one, you have a decent shot at getting a newer one (some fellow Mazda3 owners managed) - if not, report the problem to the supplier and inquire when the new DVD is coming out. IIRC Teleatlas releases not every 6 months, Navteq every 18 (I might be wrong). Also Most places I have looked will give you some leeway - say 6 or 12 months - if they come up with new maps in that frame, you get it for free - find out.

Maps are tricky .. I got into them at one point, and there is always someone with a story of a road built 5 years ago that is still not on the map. Customer feedback seems to be the #1 way for them to correct mistakes.

Igor

on the 09? with the new (next-gen) navigation?

I am surprised. but check with Ford who supplied them with map DVD's - navteq or teleatlas and see whether you have the most recent one - if they supplied you with an outdated one, you have a decent shot at getting a newer one (some fellow Mazda3 owners managed) - if not, report the problem to the supplier and inquire when the new DVD is coming out. IIRC Teleatlas releases not every 6 months, Navteq every 18 (I might be wrong). Also Most places I have looked will give you some leeway - say 6 or 12 months - if they come up with new maps in that frame, you get it for free - find out.

Maps are tricky .. I got into them at one point, and there is always someone with a story of a road built 5 years ago that is still not on the map. Customer feedback seems to be the #1 way for them to correct mistakes.

Igor

That seems to be a somewhat common problem with factory installed gps systems. The honda Goldwing NAV system maps are constantly being complained about as far as accuracy. The updates are way overpriced but seem to be available only from Honda as it is a propriatary system made to Honda's specs by one of the largest GPS manufacturers.

But to be fair, a road only a year or so old is not going to be on many databases yet. Even many of the online mapping services don't list some roads in my town that have been in existence for three years or longer.

But to be fair, a road only a year or so old is not going to be on many databases yet.

I know that some new roads aren't incorporated for up to three upgrade cycles. However, in this situation, I am commenting on freeways, which I have not seen go beyond map update one cycle.

Also, I have a Garmin Nuvi 660. I updated the Garmin's map s/w about six months ago. The freeway components I have noticed to be missing on my 09 MMH nav DO appear on my Garmin.

Navteq is the supplier for both Garmin and FoMoCo.

Hi HeloCaptain. :D What is the version listed on your DVD? The latest version available from Navteq is 7P (Navteq Catalog # U0016-0075-804).

If your DVD is version 7P, you already have the latest version. If not, you can purchase the latest version here: LINK: Navteq

You will find that the 2009 Mariner and Escape Hybrids are not even listed yet. But the latest version is still 7P.

Obviously, you can also find it for sale (both legitimate and illegitimate versions) on Ebay and other such sites. As always ,you take your chances on Ebay and other such sites.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi HeloCaptain. :D What is the version listed on your DVD? The latest version available from Navteq is 7P (Navteq Catalog # U0016-0075-804).

If your DVD is version 7P, you already have the latest version. If not, you can purchase the latest version here: LINK: Navteq

You will find that the 2009 Mariner and Escape Hybrids are not even listed yet. But the latest version is still 7P.

Obviously, you can also find it for sale (both legitimate and illegitimate versions) on Ebay and other such sites. As always ,you take your chances on Ebay and other such sites.

Hope this information helps.

The 2nd generation Nav Sys does not use DVD's or CD's like prior models. There is a 40 gig hard drive for the GPS Nav Sys in the '09 FEH/MMH. There is also a ten gig hard drive for downloading music and pictures.

The 2nd generation Nav Sys does not use DVD's or CD's like prior models. There is a 40 gig hard drive for the GPS Nav Sys in the '09 FEH/MMH. There is also a ten gig hard drive for downloading music and pictures.

Hi Gary. :D Thanks for the update.

However, even a 40gig hard drive still needs to be updated with the latest software, if it is not already on there. HeloCaptain may (or may not) already have the latest software loaded. Since you have more current information than the rest of us, would you please inform HeloCaptain how to verify which version of the NAV software he is using, and how to obtain the latest version, if he does not have it?

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Gary. :D Thanks for the update.

However, even a 40gig hard drive still needs to be updated with the latest software, if it is not already on there. HeloCaptain may (or may not) already have the latest software loaded. Since you have more current information than the rest of us, would you please inform HeloCaptain how to verify which version of the NAV software he is using, and how to obtain the latest version, if he does not have it?

I haven't read what the current version is, but I know I get sent a notification when a update is available for my '05 FEH Nav System. The '09 Nav Sys requires an update in December '08 for the 911 system and I heard you have to take it back to a dealer for that. Here is a good link with video's that shows you about the new system.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/15/video-f...-sirius-travel/

Enjoy folks

bbf2530,

Thanks for the info. Navteq doesn't instill a lot of confidence at this point. As others have pointed out, the 09 MMH doesn't use a DVD for nav.

Of course, the 08 MMH/FEH and earlier did use the DVD for nav. Ironic, IMHO, the Navteq site does not offer the 08 MMH on their drop-down menus.

So much for being up to date (web site or product).

It is disappointing that FoMoCo finds it acceptable to disseminate something as obviously out of date as the mapping software on their 09 vehicles.

Edited by HeloCaptain

bbf2530,

Thanks for the info. Navteq doesn't instill a lot of confidence at this point. As others have pointed out, the 09 MMH doesn't use a DVD for nav.

Of course, the 08 MMH/FEH and earlier did use the DVD for nav. Ironic, IMHO, the Navteq site does not offer the 08 MMH on their drop-down menus.

So much for being up to date (web site or product).

It is disappointing that FoMoCo finds it acceptable to disseminate something as obviously out of date as the mapping software on their 09 vehicles.

Hi HeloCaptain. :D Concerning the '08 MMH: Not that it matters now that I have been reminded/updated to the fact that the '09 MMH/FEH no longer use a DVD based system, but for those interested the '08 Mariner Hybrid DVD (latest version 7P) is listed under the same heading as the '08 Ford Escape Hybrid. Same system, DVD etc. I realize this information does not help you, but it may help another pre-2009 MMH owner looking for the latest DVD.

On a side note: Even though I had been previously aware of the second generation NAV system, I had forgotten all about it. While I am not anti-tech, I did not even order the NAV in my 2007 MKZ. For me (and this is solely my opinion) it is an overpriced toy. Of course, I can understand why some would need/want it. But for me, at my age, I sometimes enjoy getting lost. :hysterical:

Best of luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

While I am not anti-tech, I did not even order the NAV in my 2007 MKZ. For me (and this is solely my opinion) it is an overpriced toy. Of course, I can understand why some would need/want it. But for me, at my age, I sometimes enjoy getting lost. :hysterical:

bbf2530,

I have not previously ordered a factory nav. I wanted it on my MMH for a variety of reasons, including the enhanced fuel/power data presentations, juke box, enhanced sycn, etc.

I have had portable GPS auto nav units for 10+ years (upgrading both hardware and software over the years). In my opinion, they are the smart way to go in most circumstances. I seriously doubt that I will buy another factory nav, mainly because I like to try to get value for my money. I do NOT regret getting the nav on my MMH, indeed - I am glad that I did. But the price of factory nav and the map updates just make me feel like I should get free KY with the system.

Thanks for your responses.