Explorer Top Speed limiter

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT Sport 4 door V6 and I have the 17 inch tires on it. Anyhow, I just read a test of the 2006 Explorer EB V8 that stated the top speed is limited to 98MPH. Well just for the heck of it the other day, out on a nice new smooth concrete highway somewhere in the middle of nowhere in SD I thought I would kick it up a little and see what it would do before it hit the cut out. I was suprised to say the least when I was hitting 115MPH and still was not loosing engine power. I assume it would have cut out soon after that, but I did not want a trip to jail so I let off. I know speed limiters are adjusted to the speed rating on the tires and mine has tires from the factory rated to 114MPH, but I am just curious why the tested vehicle (which should have simular spec'ed tires) would cut off at 98MPH and mine does around 115MPH?

Not that you would ever buy an Explorer for speed, but I am just curious what is going on with mine. I guess someday I might actually try it and see how fast I can get it going before it either drags out or hits the limiter.

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT Sport 4 door V6 and I have the 17 inch tires on it. Anyhow, I just read a test of the 2006 Explorer EB V8 that stated the top speed is limited to 98MPH. Well just for the heck of it the other day, out on a nice new smooth concrete highway somewhere in the middle of nowhere in SD I thought I would kick it up a little and see what it would do before it hit the cut out. I was suprised to say the least when I was hitting 115MPH and still was not loosing engine power. I assume it would have cut out soon after that, but I did not want a trip to jail so I let off. I know speed limiters are adjusted to the speed rating on the tires and mine has tires from the factory rated to 114MPH, but I am just curious why the tested vehicle (which should have simular spec'ed tires) would cut off at 98MPH and mine does around 115MPH?

Not that you would ever buy an Explorer for speed, but I am just curious what is going on with mine. I guess someday I might actually try it and see how fast I can get it going before it either drags out or hits the limiter.

I have a 2003 EXP. EB V6. 4x4. Much the same, I took mine for the same test drive and was suprised that my limiter kicked in at 105mph. At first I felt somewhat disappointed, but as my speed droped off I began to think to myself, Sh..!, the speed was fast enough; even a "great" driver might have troubler recovering from an incident at this speed with an SUV.

My understanding is that they're designed to limit the speed of a 4x2 at 100mph and the 4x4's at 105-110mph. EXP.'s with stability control/roll over systems might hit 115. I don't think the speed rating of the tires is as much as a factor as the handling of the truck itself.

Edited by nascar357

My Ranger FX4's limiter is set at 92 mph. I have hit it more than once. My truck has Q speed rated BFG All-terrain T/A's from the factory and it is my understanding that this is the reason for the limiter setting. The Q rating is supposedly good for 100 mph but I would imagine Ford is being very conservative especially after the Firestone debacle.

• 2 months later...