First Drive: 2006.5 Kia Optima

Ovaltine

The Amanti is a stop gap carryover from Korea from what I read. Kia will be getting a larger vehicle than the Optima in the next two years. It will likely share some stuff with the Azera, but, it won't be a clone like the old Sonata/Optima were. Then, supposedly, the Amanti was slated to be redone on a slightly larger platform (interior room wise). However, since I read that, the overall positioning plan for Kia and Hyundai changed. Kia is now the Value brand and Hyundai is the mainstream, almost uplevel brand. Hyundai is strongly hinting at a forray into the premium segment, and the Azera is their first attempt at something that could be sold under that brand. As a Hyundai, the Azera is pretty darn good. As an entry level luxury car, well, its so-so at best. But, look at it as a market study that competes with the 500/avalon/maxima/impala/imperial. Eventually, we'll see Hyundai's premium brand here. It will likely flop even harder than Mazda's aborted attempt at a lux brand, but, I would expect it to eventually settle into the territory above Volkswagon but below Lincoln. Maybe in Buick's new ballpark as they settle in where Cadillac used to be.