First Drive: 2006.5 Kia Optima

Ovaltine

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=109941

First Drive: 2006.5 Kia Optima

"We enjoyed our tasting of the Kia Optima. In the crowded midsize sedan segment, it stands out as an inexpensive alternative. The option packages allow you to configure your Optima multiple ways, and even the base versions pack a long list of thoughtful features. And because the Optima weighs only 3,179 pounds, the four-cylinder packs enough spice that you need not splurge on the V6.

Kia continues to improve with age."

kia.optima.f34.500.jpg

kia.optima.int.500.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

No import duties?!? Hell, the jackasses here in Georgia just threw a few million at them to come put these crapmobiles together here. Yes, this at the same time AAP and GM Doraville are closing. :banghead: It always infuriated me just to see a Kia--even before this turn of events. Look at the car, look at the folks that buy them (yes, a huge generalization, but...), roll the name "Kia" off you tongue--to me it just sounds , um, "lowbrow". What does buying/driving this car say about someone? I guess the folks who buy these will be first in line to buy a "Chery" also. Does anybody give a good goddamn about what is happening to this country?

I don the asbestos robe as I wait to hear "But GM/Ford/DCX don't offer a "value" like the Kia.

Does anybody give a good goddamn about what is happening to this country?

I think once you get screwed by your countrymen (read: America's CEOs, laying off 20k people and raising executive compensation by the exact amount of their salaries, etc.) one too many times, loyalty to America's corporations doesn't have quite the appeal it used to.

I think if there were more CEOs willing to take a pay-cut to keep their workers employed, we'd have a lot more employees willing to pay extra for an American product.

I think once you get screwed by your countrymen (read: America's CEOs, laying off 20k people and raising executive compensation by the exact amount of their salaries, etc.) one too many times, loyalty to America's corporations doesn't have quite the appeal it used to.

I think if there were more CEOs willing to take a pay-cut to keep their workers employed, we'd have a lot more employees willing to pay extra for an American product.

So true.

I think what's happening is everyone really realizes that everyone is in it for themselves, not the country. Which means buying for loyalty means very little. I mean what can we really expect, for one state to turn down jobs so another state (eg michigan) would have a chance at keeping some?

Selfish attitude explains a lot of what's going on now... I'm implying it's a bad thing, but that is what drives capitalism and what built the USA to what it is today. So :shrug:

Opps, a second there I thought I saw a pic of a 1992-95 vehicle.

But the cool blue lighting on the inside makes up for everything else including those Acura Integra tailights. For once I'd like for Hyundai/Kia to come up with some sort of design that doesn't look like a mishmash of styling treatments from other brands.

wonder how well it fair in crash tests...its a damn lightweight

All the sheeple care about is the illustrious warranty and the cheap financing (it IS a car for ne'er do wells, let's face it). Oh yeah, and the cold coffee and the bad breath of the service manager one time at a big 3 dealership. People can be f'ing idiots...

Saw one at a Ford-Kia dealer last weekend. The rear doors had a bright window surround mouldings, the front doors did not. They had black mouldings not chrome. Looks like Kia goofed a bit. :hysterical: The proof is in the details...

Saw one at a Ford-Kia dealer last weekend. The rear doors had a bright window surround mouldings, the front doors did not. They had black mouldings not chrome. Looks like Kia goofed a bit. :hysterical: The proof is in the details...

All the sheeple care about is the illustrious warranty and the cheap financing (it IS a car for ne'er do wells, let's face it). Oh yeah, and the cold coffee and the bad breath of the service manager one time at a big 3 dealership. People can be f'ing idiots...

But why shouldn't the warranty be a consideration?

I just spent $685 to have my 4 year old Ford with only 20,500 miles repaired - of which $500 of that cost was to pay the expensive union mechanic for about 6 hours work! :banghead: When I could go to BMW or Lexus and get a 5 yr/60,000 warranty for about the same price I paid for the T'Bird.

It's not just ner do wells that have that consideration.

But why shouldn't the warranty be a consideration?

I just spent $685 to have my 4 year old Ford with only 20,500 miles repaired - of which $500 of that cost was to pay the expensive union mechanic for about 6 hours work! :banghead: When I could go to BMW or Lexus and get a 5 yr/60,000 warranty for about the same price I paid for the T'Bird.

It's not just ner do wells that have that consideration.

Yeah, your luck with that Thunderbird does make my blood boil--that's just wrong. Ford SHOULD have a much longer warranty! The whole thing with the Koreans and their warranties--they know they have a perception problem, and they are trying to buy credibility with these long warranties. I have heard that the warranties are costing them big $$.

The whole thing with the Koreans and their warranties--they know they have a perception problem, and they are trying to buy credibility with these long warranties. I have heard that the warranties are costing them big $$.

And what better way to create a little internal pressure ensuring that the engineering and part quality improves, eh?

And btw, regarding the "expensiveness" of the Optima's MSRP price..... assume that the actual sales price will be

much lower. My loaded Spectra stickered out at $16,900 (not incl. tax/dest). I gave $13,373 (not incl. tax/dest).

Figure similar types of discounts on the Optima at some point. The same is true with the Sonata's right now.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Regardless of discounts those cars are way too expensive, and at $25,200 for a fully loaded EX-V6 they have lost their mind. Even if they throw 2-3 grand on the hood in rebates it still doesn't come across as a steal.

Mike:

The Edmunds.com Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value of a fully tricked-out Optima EX/V6 is $21,816 (sans tax).

For the 4-cylinder model (with similar options) it drops to: $20,962

Then there's the most realistic scenario where people will be purchasing nicely equipped LX auto 4-cylinder models. The Customer Cash Adjusted TMV? $16,159! (tax extra)

(See: http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/kia/optima...s.html?action=1 )

At that price, something tells me that there will be more than a few similarly equipped Optimas roaming the streets soon.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

The price Edmunds listed is not a MSRP, and subject to what the buyer/salesperson/sales manager agrees upon. So that is not a bottom line price, it's good to have that information as a resource but not everyone will be able to walk in and demand that (or even know any better). Like I said unless Kia hiked the price up knowing that the car would have rebates of a couple grand at almost every point, that's the only reason that price can be justified.

What I don't understand is why stuff that old school V-6 in there, when the Sonata's is available, and suggest a price that's even more than the Sonata's? Better yet, for that TMV price I'm sure you could get your hands on V-6 Sonata for that much.

What I don't understand is why stuff that old school V-6 in there, when the Sonata's is available, and suggest a price that's even more than the Sonata's? Better yet, for that TMV price I'm sure you could get your hands on V-6 Sonata for that much.

I agree with you on this one.

This is a case of where I think the parent corp (Hyundai) wants to leave a few goodies in the basket exclusively for Hyundai's use in product differentiation.

I think that Hyundai effectively controls KIA, but doesn't quite own 100% of them.

It may also be a case of product availablilty, meaning as soon as KIA's engine plant is updated then the Optima will have access to the new engine designs.

Only Hyundai/KIA knows for sure what their strategy is.

As the article suggests, it may even be a way to encourage people to buy the 4 cylinder model. At least the 4 cylinder they're putting in is the GEMA edition from the Chrysler/Mitsu/Hyundai tripartite agreement.

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

A couple of things:

this Optima is very definitely KIA's world car (like the Mazda 6 was in iits current release). Its smaller than our normal midsizers due to that fact. In other countries, they like small displacement V-6s as they do tend to get a bit better gas mileage. Also, with the same 2.7L in there as the outgoing one, they keep the number of changes down on this release, helping them on initial quality (which is something that KIA has had a problem with in the past). I suspect that, eventually, the 2.7L will get a bump in power. Along with the I4s that DCX/Hyundai/Mitsu developed together, they also developed a small displacement V-6 (a replacement to the 2.&ls that Chrysler has had for a long time as well as Hyundai's). I don't think that that engine is quite ready yet, but, it should be soon. So, in a model year or two, the optima will have a 2.7L V6 that produces 200 hp and 190 lbs of torque in there with that same 5AT. Given its weight advantage over most of its competition, it will do well enough in comparisons to them.

Kia will eventually get a car to slot between the Optima and the Amanti. I don't know what its going to be, but, they do have a model or two that will be coming up for redos in that size class over seas.

But, given their priccing position on the optima, I can get an LX 4 cylinder Optima for less than I payed for my corolla S, with a longer warranty to boot. While I personally wouldn't do that, its a reality of the market.