Local 228 to strike?

Maislebandit

Management has told the union it still intends to bring contractors in for the tool room job. The union thought they could avoid this by using Utica trades temporarily , as there is language in the contract that allows this. Instead, management would rather those guys stay in the job bank, do nothing and still get paid while paying contractors double what it could be done for in house (in house overtime is out of the question to them).

As soon as any work commences, the grievance will be written. If no deal is struck in the allotted time (not sure, maybe week or two ), on strike we go. International already is aware of the situation and has given the local the nod to proceed.

I hope this all gets worked out - this could be bad for both company and union at a particularly bad point in time.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Management has told the union it still intends to bring contractors in for the tool room job. The union thought they could avoid this by using Utica trades temporarily , as there is language in the contract that allows this. Instead, management would rather those guys stay in the job bank, do nothing and still get paid while paying contractors double what it could be done for in house (in house overtime is out of the question to them).

As soon as any work commences, the grievance will be written. If no deal is struck in the allotted time (not sure, maybe week or two ), on strike we go. International already is aware of the situation and has given the local the nod to proceed.

I hope this all gets worked out - this could be bad for both company and union at a particularly bad point in time.

Ok who is blowing smoke up your ass? You think the INTUAW is going to allow Sterling to strike?? I have two words for you- American Axle.

Our only other option is to wildcat. -either senerio would be our last days at Sterling as workers.

I understand that we don't want outside contractors doing our work when we are cheaper.

This sounds like a Dave Dooley move to me. Get everyone all fired up for nothing other than to make yourself look tuff.

Tell the workers we are going to slap this company into shape and threaten the company with a strike if they don't comply.

Sounds like more bullshit and I wish our Bargaining Committe knew we were smarter than that.

The threat of a strike is absolutly out of the question at this point in time.

Ok who is blowing smoke up your ass? You think the INTUAW is going to allow Sterling to strike?? I have two words for you- American Axle.

Our only other option is to wildcat. -either senerio would be our last days at Sterling as workers.

I understand that we don't want outside contractors doing our work when we are cheaper.

This sounds like a Dave Dooley move to me. Get everyone all fired up for nothing other than to make yourself look tuff.

Tell the workers we are going to slap this company into shape and threaten the company with a strike if they don't comply.

Sounds like more bullshit and I wish our Bargaining Committe knew we were smarter than that.

The Company is getting 15 days notice after the contractors come in. Then if they do not stop work, we go on strike. Sterling bid the job for $600,000 but Ford is going to pay the contractors 1 million to complete the job. This is not bullshit! This is not Dooley! There is no reason at all to have contractors come in and do this work, and if it takes a strike to get that through their heads then so be it!

The Company is getting 15 days notice after the contractors come in. Then if they do not stop work, we go on strike. Sterling bid the job for $600,000 but Ford is going to pay the contractors 1 million to complete the job. This is not bullshit! This is not Dooley! There is no reason at all to have contractors come in and do this work, and if it takes a strike to get that through their heads then so be it!

What is the reasoning given concerning Ford's refusal? They must state on the Labor clearance the reason Ford forces are not being used in writing.....what does it say?

If it is a bad business decision..........and your union has a good business case to retain the work.....real numbers and facts.....then Ford will get their heads beat in with it....

However.....realize that many times the Union argues for the work...without putting together a valid, presentable case...in order to "appeal" the decision to outside contract.

I am not saying that that is the case at Sterling.........I am only saying that happens a lot.

This situation is will be reviewed....and the proper decision will be made. Ford is not going to ask us for any concessions with their right hand....while the left hand wastes money on people outside of the bargaining unit........that is bullshit and it pisses me off to see stupid ass decisions being made at the highest level of ford management.........how dumb can some of these guys can be never ceases to amaze me....They are more worried about saving themselves by making their report cards look good...than they are saving the Company money. :finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

I have to say; you guys provide a lot of laughs for some of us. One question Grandmaster, "what turnip truck did you fall off of?"

Get your facts.

Your international union has not authorized you to do squat!

You go on strike, you get fired!

It's that simple.

What is the reasoning given concerning Ford's refusal? They must state on the Labor clearance the reason Ford forces are not being used in writing.....what does it say?

If it is a bad business decision..........and your union has a good business case to retain the work.....real numbers and facts.....then Ford will get their heads beat in with it....

However.....realize that many times the Union argues for the work...without putting together a valid, presentable case...in order to "appeal" the decision to outside contract.

I am not saying that that is the case at Sterling.........I am only saying that happens a lot.

This situation is will be reviewed....and the proper decision will be made. Ford is not going to ask us for any concessions with their right hand....while the left hand wastes money on people outside of the bargaining unit........that is bullshit and it pisses me off to see stupid ass decisions being made at the highest level of ford management.........how dumb can some of these guys can be never ceases to amaze me....They are more worried about saving themselves by making their report cards look good...than they are saving the Company money. :finger::finger::finger::finger::finger:

I do not know the reason behind Ford's decision. I have not seen the labor clearance. The contractors are supposed to be in here today. We were going to get trades from the Utica JSP to help out with these projects and Ford put a stop to that. Why? I don't know and either does the Union. International came in to Sterling yesterday and then gave the union the green light to strike after they saw that we can do ALL of the work ourselves.

I have to say; you guys provide a lot of laughs for some of us. One question Grandmaster, "what turnip truck did you fall off of?"

Get your facts.

It's that simple.

So many experts so little time..... We don't need authorization to set up an informational protest, and double dog dare the vendor's and BA's not to discuss with us the rational basis of our concerns....

Have a great day!

Informational protest are allowed under "Freedom of Speech" laws

All we are saying..... iiiiiis give peace a chance.....

Mr. Bob King

Vice President and Director

UAW, National Ford Department

8000 East Jefferson Avenue

Detroit, Michigan 48214

Dear Mr. King:

Subject: Skilled Trades Governance

In the spirit of these discussions, both parties agree changes of this magnitude throughout our manufacturing and assembly operations require management and union leadership, support, and commitment at all levels of our respective organizations. As a result, it is further agreed that no later than 90 days from the Effective Date of this Agreement, the parties will

establish a National Joint Skilled Trades Governance Team consisting of representatives of the UAW National Ford Department, Corporate Labor Affairs, Directors of Manufacturing, as well as other resources

as appropriate and agreed upon. National Joint Skilled Trades Governance Team (NJSTGT) meetings

will occur on a regular basis based on need and are subject to agreement by both parties. The responsibilities of this Team include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Ensure implementation of all national agreements related to skilled trades (i.e., consolidation

of skilled trades classifications, competitive work practices, journeyperson training,

apprenticeship program revisions, etc.).

Very truly yours,

BILL DIRKSEN,

Executive Director

U.S. Labor Affairs

Concur: Bob King

SKILLED TRADES GOVERNANCE

pg. 207

Mr. Bob King

Detroit, Michigan 48214

Dear Mr. King:

Subject: Skilled Trades Wage Rates for Business Cases

During 2007 negotiations, the Company and Union recognized the critical importance of working together

on continuously improving the manner in which our skilled trades are efficiently utilized.

• Annually, plant-specific average skilled trade wage rates consistent with the methodology above will be developed by Manufacturing Finance.

• By the end of January each year, Manufacturing Staff will distribute the skilled trades wage

rates to each plant /manufacturing facility Controller.

• Concurrently, the plant Controller will provide the skilled trades wage rates to the local Union Chairperson. Additionally, the Company agreed that the Manufacturing Engineering Manager at each location will communicate the project status of current and future projects with the local Union Chairperson on a regular basis. Finally, to ensure a common understanding of this process, a single-point communication describing this process will be provided to each Controller.

Very truly yours,

BILL DIRKSEN,

Executive Director

U.S. Labor Affairs

Mr. Ken Bannon, Vice President

Director—National Ford Department

International Union, UAW

Detroit, Michigan 48214

Dear Mr. Bannon:

Subject: Right to Strike Over Outside Contracting

In the current negotiations, the parties discussed the provisions of Article VII, Sections 16(a), (B) (7) and 23, of the Collective Bargaining Agreement as they apply to the right to strike over issues concerning violations of the Company’s express commitments set forth in the provisions of Article IV, Section 8, of the Agreement (except those commitments concerning advance notice and/or discussion relating to maintenance and construction work and new die machining, fabrication, repair, tryout and related checking fixture work). As a result of these discussions, the parties agreed

that grievances covering such issues shall be handled in the following manner:

:ohsnap::rockon: :fan: :bowdown:

Sterling started a GEN/JSP last year. Tradesmen sat in this pool for 5 months while their projects fell behind. Some of these tradesmen got called back up in December and proceeded to work them over the holidays. So, Ford paid these guys to sit and do nothing and then paid them double time to work.

As Grandmaster as stated, we quoted half the price (I heard lowest contractor bid was 1.2 mil).

I am willing to help the company I work for in these trying times. I think we have all sacrificed some in recent years. At what point does it become impossible to swallow anymore? When I see the choices they have been making locally, makes me think soon.

Oh, and as far as the Labor clearance goes, management is doing this without one, hence the grievance.

I do not know the reason behind Ford's decision. I have not seen the labor clearance. The contractors are supposed to be in here today. We were going to get trades from the Utica JSP to help out with these projects and Ford put a stop to that. Why? I don't know and either does the Union. International came in to Sterling yesterday and then gave the union the green light to strike after they saw that we can do ALL of the work ourselves.

Is this construction work? What exactly is being done by the contractors?

Get your facts.

It's that simple.

Please refrain from using gender specific language, it's that simple

What?

I agree we are cheaper and we should get the work. We are better at the work also. I just don't think the "Strike" is a great weapon right now.

American Axle is a prime example.

Also, how would we look to the public who we are asking to buy a Ford that we took the last breath out of them with a strike?

All I am saying is that is not a good Rock n Hard place to be in.

I agree we should keep the work. I just think the company knows a strike is an empty threat at this point.

I know this much also.

A barking dog be not afraid of.....The quiet ones bite.

I agree we are cheaper and we should get the work. We are better at the work also. I just don't think the "Strike" is a great weapon right now.

American Axle is a prime example.

Also, how would we look to the public who we are asking to buy a Ford that we took the last breath out of them with a strike?

All I am saying is that is not a good Rock n Hard place to be in.

I agree we should keep the work. I just think the company knows a strike is an empty threat at this point.

I know this much also.

A barking dog be not afraid of.....The quiet ones bite.

"a barking dog be not afraid of" What are you Yoda now? A strike I do not want, but the selling of the F150 they are uummm? Leverage the union may have uuummmm? Assembly of the F150 axle Sterling does uuummmm. May the farce be with you!

So many experts so little time..... We don't need authorization to set up an informational protest, and double dog dare the vendor's and BA's not to discuss with us the rational basis of our concerns....

Have a great day!

Informational protest are allowed under "Freedom of Speech" laws

All we are saying..... iiiiiis give peace a chance.....

Mr. Bob King

Detroit, Michigan 48214

Dear Mr. King:

Subject: Skilled Trades Governance

In the spirit of these discussions, both parties agree changes of this magnitude throughout our manufacturing and assembly operations require management and union leadership, support, and commitment at all levels of our respective organizations. As a result, it is further agreed that no later than 90 days from the Effective Date of this Agreement, the parties will

establish a National Joint Skilled Trades Governance Team consisting of representatives of the UAW National Ford Department, Corporate Labor Affairs, Directors of Manufacturing, as well as other resources

as appropriate and agreed upon. National Joint Skilled Trades Governance Team (NJSTGT) meetings

will occur on a regular basis based on need and are subject to agreement by both parties. The responsibilities of this Team include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Ensure implementation of all national agreements related to skilled trades (i.e., consolidation

of skilled trades classifications, competitive work practices, journeyperson training,

apprenticeship program revisions, etc.).

Very truly yours,

BILL DIRKSEN,

Executive Director

U.S. Labor Affairs

SKILLED TRADES GOVERNANCE

pg. 207

Mr. Bob King

Detroit, Michigan 48214

Dear Mr. King:

Subject: Skilled Trades Wage Rates for Business Cases

During 2007 negotiations, the Company and Union recognized the critical importance of working together

on continuously improving the manner in which our skilled trades are efficiently utilized.

• Annually, plant-specific average skilled trade wage rates consistent with the methodology above will be developed by Manufacturing Finance.

• By the end of January each year, Manufacturing Staff will distribute the skilled trades wage

rates to each plant /manufacturing facility Controller.

• Concurrently, the plant Controller will provide the skilled trades wage rates to the local Union Chairperson. Additionally, the Company agreed that the Manufacturing Engineering Manager at each location will communicate the project status of current and future projects with the local Union Chairperson on a regular basis. Finally, to ensure a common understanding of this process, a single-point communication describing this process will be provided to each Controller.

Very truly yours,

BILL DIRKSEN,

Executive Director

U.S. Labor Affairs

Mr. Ken Bannon, Vice President

Director—National Ford Department

International Union, UAW

Detroit, Michigan 48214

Dear Mr. Bannon:

Subject: Right to Strike Over Outside Contracting

In the current negotiations, the parties discussed the provisions of Article VII, Sections 16(a), (B) (7) and 23, of the Collective Bargaining Agreement as they apply to the right to strike over issues concerning violations of the Company’s express commitments set forth in the provisions of Article IV, Section 8, of the Agreement (except those commitments concerning advance notice and/or discussion relating to maintenance and construction work and new die machining, fabrication, repair, tryout and related checking fixture work). As a result of these discussions, the parties agreed

that grievances covering such issues shall be handled in the following manner:

:ohsnap::rockon: :fan: :bowdown:

did you just quote the contract like it is a book of facts????? LOL!!!!!!!

"a barking dog be not afraid of" What are you Yoda now? A strike I do not want, but the selling of the F150 they are uummm? Leverage the union may have uuummmm? Assembly of the F150 axle Sterling does uuummmm. May the farce be with you!

Looks like the "Farse" is on you. :reading: Now neil before me and swallow my lightsaber and I will show you the darkside of my ass. :hysterical:

we need this stike cause this management does not think we will do it so they are trying to take advantage of us and this is the biggest step so far. don't understand why they need contractors, we can do it cheaper even if it envolves overtime and weekends. the stated 70$ an hour uaw workers make is based on 40 hours, if you work a saturday, the company is only paying $45 an hour since all bennies are paid, much cheaper than paying a contractor, but they don't want to pay overtime even if it saves money, dumb bitch we have driving the bus. big part of the tool room is already done, and we can finish it, and if we can't do it in the timeframe with no overtime, they should learn to run a calculator and see if they pay overtime they are actually saving money. sounded like we could of finished in time even without overtime, so really not sure what justifies contractors, since every time in history when we had contractors in, it cost us more to fix what they mess up.

another thing to think about, is if they gave us a go ahead when we started the tear out, more would of been done by now, we had to work around and skip parts since they were out for bid, which cost us some time instead of just going in and doing the whole job.

Edited by 228electrician

we need this stike cause this management does not think we will do it so they are trying to take advantage of us and this is the biggest step so far. don't understand why they need contractors, we can do it cheaper even if it envolves overtime and weekends. the stated 70$ an hour uaw workers make is based on 40 hours, if you work a saturday, the company is only paying $45 an hour since all bennies are paid, much cheaper than paying a contractor, but they don't want to pay overtime even if it saves money, dumb bitch we have driving the bus. big part of the tool room is already done, and we can finish it, and if we can't do it in the timeframe with no overtime, they should learn to run a calculator and see if they pay overtime they are actually saving money. sounded like we could of finished in time even without overtime, so really not sure what justifies contractors, since every time in history when we had contractors in, it cost us more to fix what they mess up.

I completly agree. I think the "strike" claim is a little over the top. It has nothing to do with Dave Dooley. I am guessing this issue is over Pat Rieds head also. The committee room is saying INTUAW is involved and working on the issue. :reading:

Neil did a great job sticking up to the company. Gooo Neil!! Just please tone down the "strike" talk.

So everyone understands, we need to keep this work. I am agreeing a "strike" is not going to get us there. It will do more damage than it will solve anything. (at this time) :shades:

American Axle is a great example. Ford is looking to close two more plants that have not been named yet.

I am sure they have erasers on their pencils. I agree with Neil but he needs to be ever so careful here.