Local 228 to strike?

Maislebandit

we need this stike cause this management does not think we will do it so they are trying to take advantage of us and this is the biggest step so far. don't understand why they need contractors, we can do it cheaper even if it envolves overtime and weekends. the stated 70$ an hour uaw workers make is based on 40 hours, if you work a saturday, the company is only paying $45 an hour since all bennies are paid, much cheaper than paying a contractor, but they don't want to pay overtime even if it saves money, dumb bitch we have driving the bus. big part of the tool room is already done, and we can finish it, and if we can't do it in the timeframe with no overtime, they should learn to run a calculator and see if they pay overtime they are actually saving money. sounded like we could of finished in time even without overtime, so really not sure what justifies contractors, since every time in history when we had contractors in, it cost us more to fix what they mess up.

another thing to think about, is if they gave us a go ahead when we started the tear out, more would of been done by now, we had to work around and skip parts since they were out for bid, which cost us some time instead of just going in and doing the whole job.

How are you supposed to read what you posted with that ass shaking, like a person can even concentrate.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Management has told the union it still intends to bring contractors in for the tool room job. The union thought they could avoid this by using Utica trades temporarily , as there is language in the contract that allows this. Instead, management would rather those guys stay in the job bank, do nothing and still get paid while paying contractors double what it could be done for in house (in house overtime is out of the question to them).

As soon as any work commences, the grievance will be written. If no deal is struck in the allotted time (not sure, maybe week or two ), on strike we go. International already is aware of the situation and has given the local the nod to proceed.

I hope this all gets worked out - this could be bad for both company and union at a particularly bad point in time.

THE GRIEVANCE WILL BE WRITTEN AND PUT IT UNDER THE 450 + WE HAVE ALREADY, WE ARE GOING TO STRIKE FOR TRADES JOBS BUT NOT FOR ANY OTHER WORK WE HAVE BEEN LOSING ,OR LOST SOMETHING DOESNT SMELL RIGHT. I AM NOT SUPPORTING ANYTHING THAT MANAGEMENT HAS BEEN DOING THEY LIVE TO DIVIDE THE UNION AND HAVE BEEN GETTING AWAY WITH IT FOR FAR TO LONG. :reading: :reading:

THE GRIEVANCE WILL BE WRITTEN AND PUT IT UNDER THE 450 + WE HAVE ALREADY, WE ARE GOING TO STRIKE FOR TRADES JOBS BUT NOT FOR ANY OTHER WORK WE HAVE BEEN LOSING ,OR LOST SOMETHING DOESNT SMELL RIGHT. I AM NOT SUPPORTING ANYTHING THAT MANAGEMENT HAS BEEN DOING THEY LIVE TO DIVIDE THE UNION AND HAVE BEEN GETTING AWAY WITH IT FOR FAR TO LONG. :reading: :reading:

Why are u YELLING..... legally we can only strike for certain issues, outside contracting being one of them.

Doesn't it bother you that Ford GM and Chrysler are looking for give backs to save money, and yet they spend outrageous sums on vendors, for work that the skilled trades traditionally do. Especially considering that the whole world wants an end to JSP, but once again Ford places people in JSP and then they want to contract out work.

AND! We are looking at ways to save money http://www.freep.com/article/20090106/BUSI.../90106082....at least we don't fly the contractors in on a private jet

Hey maybe the Senate will demand wage cuts from the contractors, and the contractors can demand wage cuts from the Senate and Congress and then AIG will have to chip in some money. Doctors, Lawyers, and Pharmaceutical Co.'s can afford a pay cut. I think we're on to something here....

The Supreme Court they make way too much, we can off shore that shit to India, never trusted a black robe, should be white, bad guys wear black hats in the movies.

Good point, I don't see Neil and Dave talking about a strike when they outsourced the shafts and the cases or driveshafts. I am telling you production is getting screwed again.

Good point, I don't see Neil and Dave talking about a strike when they outsourced the shafts and the cases or driveshafts. I am telling you production is getting screwed again.

I don't know Dave or Neil, but I do know with the way things have been going lately, I WOULD BE DEMANDING A GRIEVANCE or I would be standing on someone's desk maybe 8000 Jefferson ave.

Your post is conflicting. In the first sentence, you are all out against trades and in the second one you suggest that the company is out to divide us. ??????

I'm not sure where you stand, but any differences in our Union must be put aside or we will come to have no leverage in any type of bargaining.

Why do you always insist on dividing our Union? If we don't stand united we are all screwed. Don't you realize the shafts, cases and driveshafts affected trades too?

There is also a production issue that is on the horizon right now. Management thinks that they can bring 40 people from Utica GEN to "temporarily" man a production line, which they cannot. The language in place allows the temp GEN use for "projects" only.

Also something to think about - if the company is successful in bringing contractors in this time, it could be just the beginning. If every project got farmed out, I seriously believe they would reduce trade population. Since the GEN is no longer an option, where do you think they will go? Yes, they will displace production people.

Look, I don't want to strike and I know you don't either, but if you and the other people of 228 cannot come together and put their differences and issues aside, we are all in deep shit.

BTW, if our bid to keep the outsourced work was half the price of the "market test" yet they still chose to outsource, I KNOW they would have proceeded with a strike.

I do not know the reason behind Ford's decision. I have not seen the labor clearance. The contractors are supposed to be in here today. We were going to get trades from the Utica JSP to help out with these projects and Ford put a stop to that. Why? I don't know and either does the Union. International came in to Sterling yesterday and then gave the union the green light to strike after they saw that we can do ALL of the work ourselves.

What is the latest info on bringing in outside contractors, are they there ??

My understanding is that they are taking down the concrete walls and ripping up the floor. I dont know if they are putting in the new line.

C'mon people!

Is anybody actually at the Sterling facility who knows the facts?

Are any of you who are posting, and "threatening" strikes, actually employed at the Sterling facility?

Your "understanding" is, that they are doing work that your M/W's and P/Frs should be doing? Give me a break!

You asked me if I was actually a Ford employee and you dont even have the minor details about something you are "willing" to strike over? Wow.

I guess I will have to quote one of our old "friends". WTF???

And, just so that there is no mis-understanding, Ford Motor Company blood has ran through my veins for my entire life! I have been posting in this "employee only" section for years now. You dont have even the basic facts about what you speak of and you want to question my employment status?

Maybe this is an example of why the union has lost so much of it's clout. Grandmaster, you are certainly self proclaimed!

I should have expected these knit-wit posts from somebody that has chosen a name like that.

You are now to be re-named to Grandmaster Bater!

Yes. They are in the plant tool room for the demo work.

WOW! OUTRAGE! DO YOU NEED THE NUMBER TO SOLIDARITY HOUSE!

LEVEL WHAT'S YOUR TAKE ON ALL THIS! AND YES I AM YELLING!

scumbags talk about saving money and bring in vendors, I know people on layoff if they need help.

C'mon people!

Are any of you who are posting, and "threatening" strikes, actually employed at the Sterling facility?

Your "understanding" is, that they are doing work that your M/W's and P/Frs should be doing? Give me a break!

You asked me if I was actually a Ford employee and you dont even have the minor details about something you are "willing" to strike over? Wow.

And, just so that there is no mis-understanding, Ford Motor Company blood has ran through my veins for my entire life! I have been posting in this "employee only" section for years now. You dont have even the basic facts about what you speak of and you want to question my employment status?

Maybe this is an example of why the union has lost so much of it's clout. Grandmaster, you are certainly self proclaimed!

I should have expected these knit-wit posts from somebody that has chosen a name like that.

Threat... Don't take it as threat. Take it as a promise. Regardless of Sterling's lines of demarcation this is work traditionally done by UAW trades and what YOU need to understand if Ford Motor Company thinks they are going to back the UAW Trades into a corner without a fight they are mistaken. There are plenty of trades on layoff and in JSP that can do this work! And, they want more concessions. Basic fact's are this, this is not the first location this has happened in, and I'll be DAMNED if you are going to lay me off and bring in trades to do my JOB without my opposition.

Have a great day!

Your post is conflicting. In the first sentence, you are all out against trades and in the second one you suggest that the company is out to divide us. ??????

I'm not sure where you stand, but any differences in our Union must be put aside or we will come to have no leverage in any type of bargaining.

hmmm, my post is confusing management has been outsorcing work for 5years now and all of a sudden we are about to strike when and election is about to take place sounds like some bullshit to me ,,were was your outrage then we ratified our contract and ford annouced more work for mexico , hope that cleared it up for you , and i dont argee with any outsorcing what so ever if theirs any work to be done in our plant OUR people should be the ones that do it .

C'mon people!

To much hostility! Why don't you go somewhere and spill your seed! Get rid of some pent up anger, because your directing it at the wrong guy. I'm sorry that I do not have more info right now but I know that the Union is on it. "I'm self proclaimed"??????? Where did that come from? "knit-wit name" WTF is paris? You are one high stung mother fucker!

they got away with that stuff cause how the contract is written, this part is in direct violation of our contract. everything goes to bid now, because of how the production areas are ran now, we can not make product and be profitable the way smaller shops can since erginomics, worker habits, and safety standards are costlier for us than smaller companies, not counting wages they pay production.

this bid to tear out the tool room was just ignored, even thou every other bid we won has finished on time and under budget. and this contractor bidded on less work than what we bid on and we still beat them, so now we still have to go in after and finish for them which now is costing us even more money we don't have. i can't believe they are letting them do the lighting in there, the new ford standard for lighting is easier and faster to put up, just a few guys on a weekend can do the five bays they want relighted. oh, and some of the stuff they are getting paid to do, was already done by us, so thats some free money for roniceli's. Ford needing to cut some corner to save money, by paying double for the same work just so no one gets overtime is kinda stupid. they would save even more money if they let someone go with a credit card and purchase the parts, instead of going thru the channels and letting every step pad the price of parts and supplys and costing us twice as much for the same parts. that alone would cover the labor cost.

hmmm, my post is confusing management has been outsorcing work for 5years now and all of a sudden we are about to strike when and election is about to take place sounds like some bullshit to me ,,were was your outrage then we ratified our contract and ford annouced more work for mexico , hope that cleared it up for you , and i dont argee with any outsorcing what so ever if theirs any work to be done in our plant OUR people should be the ones that do it .

If it makes you feel any better, if given the opportunity to get involved with production issues I would. But, most production people don't want trades people involved with production issues, and moving any product or production to mexico involves all UAW people. The production person may handle the product, someone in material handling needed to stock the job, and a maintenance person somewhere is maintaining the equipment.

So you need to loose the me, your bullshit outrage.

There are more issues that go into production moves (to mexico) than just labor cost, like mexican content laws brought about free trade treaties, and tariffs placed on US material coming into mexico as opposed to none coming out. Then factor into the equation that mexico has treaties with other countries that the US doesn't and mexico can ship product to other countries in a more cost effective manner than the US.

So when the President, and Congress express their vision to the US people make sure we see the fine print, and what lobbyist is supporting the issue.

Regardless we are UAW and I support you 100%.

hmmm, my post is confusing management has been outsorcing work for 5years now and all of a sudden we are about to strike when and election is about to take place sounds like some bullshit to me ,,

B_I_N_G_O.......

Larry Brdak for Plant Committee. Experience should be the factor here. ( I know he's trades ) I like my job and he is an Alt. National Negotiator. I am told you never want to loose one of those guys so he gets my vote.

We do need to find a production Plant Committe next election with some experience. At least a term as committe person.

Who are the other guys who put thier name in? :hysterical:

I never heard of them before other than Nick. :shrug:

they got away with that stuff cause how the contract is written, this part is in direct violation of our contract. everything goes to bid now, because of how the production areas are ran now, we can not make product and be profitable the way smaller shops can since erginomics, worker habits, and safety standards are costlier for us than smaller companies, not counting wages they pay production.

this bid to tear out the tool room was just ignored, even thou every other bid we won has finished on time and under budget. and this contractor bidded on less work than what we bid on and we still beat them, so now we still have to go in after and finish for them which now is costing us even more money we don't have. i can't believe they are letting them do the lighting in there, the new ford standard for lighting is easier and faster to put up, just a few guys on a weekend can do the five bays they want relighted. oh, and some of the stuff they are getting paid to do, was already done by us, so thats some free money for roniceli's. Ford needing to cut some corner to save money, by paying double for the same work just so no one gets overtime is kinda stupid. they would save even more money if they let someone go with a credit card and purchase the parts, instead of going thru the channels and letting every step pad the price of parts and supplys and costing us twice as much for the same parts. that alone would cover the labor cost.

Elec, I already said I agree we need to keep the work and finish it. We have the best people in the world who do this work.

I appreciate the explaination but I understand the point and the issue. We should and will retain the work, utica people are going to come on a temp basis from what I hear. Also, INTUAW has been working on it for 3-4 days now.

MY POINT IS WE ARE NOT GOING TO BE ALLOWED TO STRIKE. unless we wildcat :hysterical: .

I feel this is a strange coincidence that an election is running concurrent with a trades issue. Can we agree on that?