Buying 7.3, What to look for

94bronco

In the next 6-9 months I will probably be looking into buying a 02 or 03 7.3 Superduty to replace by aging fleet, I know what to look for in a truck ( Front end problems) but was just wondering what I should be looking at for problem areas with a 7.3 ( One with around or under 100k)? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
In the next 6-9 months I will probably be looking into buying a 02 or 03 7.3 Superduty to replace by aging fleet, I know what to look for in a truck ( Front end problems) but was just wondering what I should be looking at for problem areas with a 7.3 ( One with around or under 100k)? Thanks

The only problem any 7.3's ever had was the cam position sensor. But that's not a big deal and even if you have one starting to go out any Ford dealer will replace it for free under recall. It'll only take them about 10 minutes to swap it for you. Even that problem was pretty rare and there were no other problems with the 7.3L Power Stroke. The 94-97 and 02-03 7.3L Power Strokes are the best trucks ever made.

If you're getting an 02 or 03 you won't have to worry about the front ends. Those years they went back to the dana 60 front end. The only trucks that really had any front axle issues are the '99-01s. The hubs on the '99-04s are kind of weak if you 4-wheel the truck too hard. The hub can break and crack the outer axle shaft when it does. I've seen several do that but it's not something I would worry about.

Finally, if you're getting an automatic transmission, definitely stay away from the '01s because they had a lot of problems.

• 4 months later...

What to look for? A blue oval with ford written in the middle. Avoid it at all cost. Look for a dodge or GMC, otherwise, start looking for a LOT of money for repairs

Well I finally found one http://capecod.craigslist.org/ctd/1196622200.html kind of around me that is set up how I want it ( Extended Cab with Long bed Lariat) but the only thing is that it's an 01 which seems to be a shit year with the Dana 50 and Mechanical Diode problem in the transmission which doesn't bother me too much as I could always run an Oasis report to see if it already had the transmission short commings fixed earlier on in life. However I think I will wait it out and see how long it sits around and then maybe go take a look at it if I can't find a 02 or 03 with the Dana 60 within a month or so as I am really starting to want a new truck but having a rather hard time finding 7.3's in good condition with around 100k and this one is quite tempting with only 103k on the 7.3.

Edited by 94bronco

What to look for? A blue oval with ford written in the middle. Avoid it at all cost. Look for a dodge or GMC, otherwise, start looking for a LOT of money for repairs

No thanks on owning a truck with a Jap motor and Buick suspension or owning a truck that should probably come with a spare transmission in place of the spare tire.

My dad has an '01 f-250 Super Duty 7.3L. It currently has around 195,000 miles on it, no problems whatsoever. A couple of years ago, he flipped it (on a curvy mountain road in north Georgia). It was almost declared totalled, but it wasn't. It's really a good, reliable truck.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The only problem any 7.3's ever had was the cam position sensor. But that's not a big deal and even if you have one starting to go out any Ford dealer will replace it for free under recall. It'll only take them about 10 minutes to swap it for you. Even that problem was pretty rare and there were no other problems with the 7.3L Power Stroke. The 94-97 and 02-03 7.3L Power Strokes are the best trucks ever made.

If you're getting an 02 or 03 you won't have to worry about the front ends. Those years they went back to the dana 60 front end. The only trucks that really had any front axle issues are the '99-01s. The hubs on the '99-04s are kind of weak if you 4-wheel the truck too hard. The hub can break and crack the outer axle shaft when it does. I've seen several do that but it's not something I would worry about.

Finally, if you're getting an automatic transmission, definitely stay away from the '01s because they had a lot of problems.

My 01 went through 2 transmissions. I put an ATS trans and torque converter in it. ATS give 3 yrs. 150,000 mile warranty. Other than that, and some rust issues, my 01 has been a great truck. My 7.3 has 187,000 mile on it and it runs like brand new.