2007 Explorer interior door handles

With production of the 2007 Explorer set to start July 31 of 2006, does anyone know if the 2007 versions will have the new interior door handles and revised dashboard? I'll bet that 25% of the decline in 2006 Explorer sales can be attributed to the door handles and the annoying shiny and reflective chrome dashboard trim.

With production of the 2007 Explorer set to start July 31 of 2006, does anyone know if the 2007 versions will have the new interior door handles and revised dashboard? I'll bet that 25% of the decline in 2006 Explorer sales can be attributed to the door handles and the annoying shiny and reflective chrome dashboard trim.

I have 06 Limited 4WD V8 and like everything about it except for the gas guage location (difficult to see). The interior door handles are not a problem after a couple days and you will actually learn to like them.

• 2 weeks later...
I have 06 Limited 4WD V8 and like everything about it except for the gas guage location (difficult to see). The interior door handles are not a problem after a couple days and you will actually learn to like them.

U got it, they are not hard to use, just different.

As to the gas gauge, i find the temp gauge hard to see, wait maybe that's due to my cellphone sitting there ;)

Here is the whole problem with that ill advised door pull. Try to grab the door quickly to stop it from hitting the car next to yours when a gust of wind blows the door open as you unlatch it. Impossible and there goes a dinger in the car parked next to you.

Here is the whole problem with that ill advised door pull. Try to grab the door quickly to stop it from hitting the car next to yours when a gust of wind blows the door open as you unlatch it. Impossible and there goes a dinger in the car parked next to you.

As an OWNER i would disagree... i have and use the handle, door pull and the padded arm rest to maintain control of the door and it is not that tough really, again think D I F F E R E N T I do think adding the "cup" to the padded arm rest is a good change, and will reduce the possibilies of the accidental ding.

To each their own, we could beat each other :finger: over the head on this, but as someone who owns and drives one i find the banter humorous from non-owners. :censored:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I have seen and used the new door handles. You will be pleased.

Hate to dig up old bones Cal, but have you started installing the new door panels yet? If so, is it possible that some vehicles may have already shipped with these? Is there any way to tell by VIN such as the last five characters being the consecutive build number? :shrug:

There are no consecutive build numbers. The vehicles do not come off the end of the line in any specific order.

Wait a second, can you prove that statement? In past years the last five or six characters of the VIN, depending on total number of that model's production for the year, denoted it's order of production. For example, this VIN, 1FMEU51KX7UA13974, would indicate that this was the 13,974th Sport Trac built for the 07 model year. As further evidence of this, VIN 1FMEU53827UA29412 is for a Sport Trac that has the power rear window option. It's consecutive build number would be #29,412. That makes perfect sense to me since that option was only recently available and this vehicle, according to its VIN, would have been built after the other (13974) which does not have that option. Granted that is not positive proof but I would be willing to bet that if you checked the VIN of every Trac that has the power rear window it would end somewhere near 25,000 or higher. I'll save you the effort...this VIN, 1FMEU53837UA26891, also has the power rear window. Prove me wrong... ;)

Edit: check this link if you don't beleive me:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin_tools/default.asp

Edited by blksn8k2

The point I am trying to make here is that the VIN number does have relevance to the equipment that was available at the time the vehicle was produced. Granted, the VIN numbers may be assigned before the vehicle actually comes off the line, but they do indicate the production sequence as shown in the Ford link I provided.

My original question was then valid. If Sport Tracs are already being built with the new door panels there will be a series of consecutive build numbers that received this feature and all build numbers after that should include the same door panels just as those with power rear windows have higher consecutive build numbers than those that were built earlier without the power rear window. Unfortunately, the power rear window example is not absolute proof because it is optional and someone could still order a Trac today without it. But the door panels should be the same on all Tracs after a certain build number.

Oh, If you had tried the FORD link I provided this is what you would have seen. Notice the very last line. It says "Prod Sequence Number A13974 " .

VIN Results

VIN: 1FMEU51KX7UA13974

World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions

VIN Code: 1FM

Assembly Country: USA

Make: Ford

Restraint System Type (Passenger Cars) or Brake Type and GVWR Class (Trucks and Vans) - 4th Position

VIN Code: E

Line,Series Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions

VIN Code: U51

Vehicle Line: Explorer Sport Trac

Series: XLT

Body Type: CREW

Vehicle Type: Truck/SUV

Engine Type - 8th Position

VIN Code: K

Engine: 4 L

Cylinders: 6

Fuel: Gasoline

Model Year - 10th Position

VIN Code: 7

Model Year: 2007

Assembly Plant - 11th Position

VIN Code: U

Assembly Plant: LOUISVILLE: LOUISVILLE, KY

Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th

VIN Code: A13974

Prod Sequence Number A13974

Edited by blksn8k2

The point I am trying to make here is that the VIN number does have relevance to the equipment that was available at the time the vehicle was produced. Granted, the VIN numbers may be assigned before the vehicle actually comes off the line, but they do indicate the production sequence as shown in the Ford link I provided.

My original question was then valid. If Sport Tracs are already being built with the new door panels there will be a series of consecutive build numbers that received this feature and all build numbers after that should include the same door panels just as those with power rear windows have higher consecutive build numbers than those that were built earlier without the power rear window. Unfortunately, the power rear window example is not absolute proof because it is optional and someone could still order a Trac today without it. But the door panels should be the same on all Tracs after a certain build number.

Oh, If you had tried the FORD link I provided this is what you would have seen. Notice the very last line. It says "Prod Sequence Number A13974 " .

VIN Results

VIN: 1FMEU51KX7UA13974

World Manufacturer Identifier - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Positions

VIN Code: 1FM

Assembly Country: USA

Make: Ford

Restraint System Type (Passenger Cars) or Brake Type and GVWR Class (Trucks and Vans) - 4th Position

VIN Code: E

Line,Series Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions

VIN Code: U51

Vehicle Line: Explorer Sport Trac

Series: XLT

Body Type: CREW

Vehicle Type: Truck/SUV

Engine Type - 8th Position

VIN Code: K

Engine: 4 L

Cylinders: 6

Fuel: Gasoline

Model Year - 10th Position

VIN Code: 7

Model Year: 2007

Assembly Plant - 11th Position

VIN Code: U

Assembly Plant: LOUISVILLE: LOUISVILLE, KY

Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th

VIN Code: A13974

Prod Sequence Number A13974

ANYONE from the Louisville plant can tell you that Sport Tracs do not run in order. Heck, Even Explorers and Mountaineers do not run in order. During a given day the VIN's go up down, And all around.

Just so you know, I did check stangsunleashed.com and read one particular post that mentioned a GT500 buyer who was issued a partial VIN. It did not include the consecutive build number because it obviously hadn't been built yet. So I think this only serves as further proof of what I have been trying to say.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forums/inde...c=832&st=80

Hate to dig up old bones Cal, but have you started installing the new door panels yet? If so, is it possible that some vehicles may have already shipped with these? Is there any way to tell by VIN such as the last five characters being the consecutive build number? :shrug:

All 07's will have the new door panel. I don't know about the VIN. I may be able to find out.

Hey, speaking about the door panel area... I am moving from a 96 Explorer to an 07. One thing I noticed about the door panel is that arm rest, door handle, etc. gets in the way of my knee... the older models did not protrude into your leg room as much... that combined with the center console being larger and more into my right leg room, made me feel a bit cramped when I drove it... I like to throw on cruise control and stretch my legs...

Can anyone driving an 06 comment on that? Do you get used to it or do you also feel a little confined?

I felt almost the same in an Expedition... it has a similar armrest and center console... but a bit more room than the Explorer.

Jeff

Edited by jscozz

Hey, speaking about the door panel area... I am moving from a 96 Explorer to an 07. One thing I noticed about the door panel is that arm rest, door handle, etc. gets in the way of my knee... the older models did not protrude into your leg room as much... that combined with the center console being larger and more into my right leg room, made me feel a bit cramped when I drove it... I like to throw on cruise control and stretch my legs...

Can anyone driving an 06 comment on that? Do you get used to it or do you also feel a little confined?

I felt almost the same in an Expedition... it has a similar armrest and center console... but a bit more room than the Explorer.

Jeff

I just rest my knee against the door pieces from time to time, you get used to them...

You can think what you want. Cars do not come off the line in order. If you want to believe they do, go ahead.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I know one thing. You don't assemble cars.

With an attitude like yours, if you do assemble cars for a living I am starting to understand why Ford is so screwed up. The whole purpose of my question was to see if there is some correlation between VIN numbers and the content of the vehicles. By that I am not necessarily referring to optional equipment but the base equipment that every Sport Trac has. Like the door panels. Who knows, if I could get an answer to this question it just might help someone avoid looking at a particular vehicle that a dealer has in stock. Everyone here seems to be hung-up on the fact that the consecutive build number does not mean it is the exact order that the vehicles come off the line. Great, at least we established something. But that does not mean that there is absolutely no correlation bewteen VIN numbers and a certain time frame when all vehicles may have the same base equipment or when an option became available. Like the power rear window. They call it a consecutive build number for some reason and I have to believe Ford uses it for something.

Edited by blksn8k2

My attitude? Pshaw! You asked a question, I answered it. You called me a liar. I clarified my answer to address your problem with my original answer, you called me a liar again. :shrug:

If I do have an attitude, you're the one that gave it to me. ;)

Sorry but I don't recall the word "liar" being used in any posts until now. You apparently have a very vivid imagination. All I have done is give examples of VIN numbers and a link to a FORD website that contradicted your statement. And I quote: "There are no consecutive build numbers." You have yet to provide any positive proof of that statement.

And no one has actually answered my question. Which stated as simply as I possibly can: "Does the consecutive build number have any correlation to how the vehicle is equipped?" I believe there is some reason for the consecutive build number to be used and I wish someone would just say what that is instead of arguing that it doesn't even exist.

So, after all the positive feedback from you I've decided its time to check out the competition. I have a test drive scheduled for a Tacoma Double Cab. You know, the next time you start making comments to potential customers who might want to consider the ramifications... :titanic:

P.S. Just kidding. But I had you going for a second there huh? ;)

• 1 month later...

HEY SINCE I BUILD THE SPORT TRACS AND EXPLORERS JUST LOOK AT THE TAG ON YOUR DRIVER DOOR IT WILL TELL YOU WHEN IT WAS BUILT. IF IT WAS BUILT AFTER AUGUST 7 2006 THEN THEY HAVE THE NEW DOOR HANDLES AND THE NEW IPS THERE ISN'T ALOT OF DIFFERENCE WITH THE IPS WE HAVE CHANGED THE TAN COLOR

Edited by lil nasty