My Thoughts on the Modifications

Pipefitter

To those who are thinking vote no,

Have you had your head in the sand or what? I think your thinking inside the bubble of good times. Read the paper, watch the news, think back to the Congressional hearings. These are bad times. Would you rather it not pass with Ford, then GM gets a shot to pass a pattern bargaining agreement?Do you think a Bankruptcy Judge will give you even close to a fair deal? Ask anyone that was around in the late 70's early 80's what took place. They gave up more then to survive, and when things got better the IUAW got those concessions back and more just between then and now. When times are good you can give me all the best and I will work hard to earn it, and feel great about taking it. This is survival. Ron, Bob King, and our Negotiators got us the best they could, with what they feel would save the hand that feeds us. This is the best job I've ever had and could hope to have. I do not want to loose it. I am willing to do my part now for a better stronger Ford Motor Co. & a better, smarter, stronger UAW later.

Ford pays me

The UAW saves me.

Have you had your head in the sand or what? I think your thinking inside the bubble of good times. Read the paper, watch the news, think back to the Congressional hearings. These are bad times. Would you rather it not pass with Ford, then GM gets a shot to pass a pattern bargaining agreement?Do you think a Bankruptcy Judge will give you even close to a fair deal? Ask anyone that was around in the late 70's early 80's what took place. They gave up more then to survive, and when things got better the IUAW got those concessions back and more just between then and now. When times are good you can give me all the best and I will work hard to earn it, and feel great about taking it. This is survival. Ron, Bob King, and our Negotiators got us the best they could, with what they feel would save the hand that feeds us. This is the best job I've ever had and could hope to have. I do not want to loose it. I am willing to do my part now for a better stronger Ford Motor Co. & a better, smarter, stronger UAW later.

Ford pays me

The UAW saves me.

Very commendable. No real arguments with any of it. You also must have pretty good seniority. A little reality check. First dont anyone be fooled that GM or Chrys will accept what we are going to approve. It is simply NOT enough for them. Granted if GM had gotten what they were offering last month, then yes the Iuaw would have tried to pass it on to us. But it will not work in the reverse.Because it is simply chump change for GM. I will say Chrys. could accept some form of our mod's but not as a stand alone company. They must merge, purge , ally, and consolidate. Pattern bargaining may have worked for contracts but it wont fit for pattern bankruptcies. Even adjusted for market share GM's pension liabilities tower over Fords'. Ford is being very shrewd with their marketing. Their yr over yr incentives have only gone up 3% over a yr ago (+/-). They are biting the bullet and even tempering their own sales #'s in the process. A very smart business move.

As far as survival. You are right. But it will be survival of the higher seniority.(Rightly So) As a letter, purportedly from Rouge that was going around our shop today, said, in favor of a yes vote. It explained how the oil embargo of '73, the Chrys. loans of '79, shithole of '80,'81, all lead to some form of concessions to save the Detroit 3 and later on some of these were restored in the late '80's and early '90's. (they said all but I'm still waiting for my PPH days and stock to return). Anyway the one common thread besides bad times these all had......fairly massive reductions in force.(starting with '79) We the people have never recovered since. But if you are the lucky higher sen. You may be spared. Those with under 10yrs sen. will go 26 wks with reg SUB/unempl. (about $900-950 in Mich) to another 26 of TAP of maybe $550. Plants going under retooling for all new product could have employees run out of all $$$ b-4 their plant is even ready to call them back. Thats also why they can buy out of their seniority when entering the TAP zone. Desparate people will do fickle things. And for every under 10 yr guy that is desparate enough, there is a 2nd tier in line to be hired sooner rather than later. Be prepared however you can but this roller coaster ride has just begun ...we arent even to the part of the ride that makes you shit yer pants.

Now just so we are clear, I am not advocating a yes or no. Each person must decide that themselves. But don't be surprised when just when you thought you couldnt breathe ....someone goes and throws another shovel of shit into the fan. Moral to this is 1). GM will not accept our terms unless the Govt walks them thru a bankruptcy and 2). Those under 10 yrs sen. are screwed.

When I go to work tomorrow I will vote NO! It does not matter because it will pass anyway, you think these give backs are going to save something, if you do then you need to get your head out your ass! the economy and sales are whats going to save them not this little chump change gives backs they are asking for and yes its chump change to them but its not chump change to you and me. These give backs are going to save them millions NOT billions, they are losing billions. Next year or maybe the one after that they will ask for more and we will be asked to give even more if they don't file bankruptcy before then and yes they will still file bankruptcy with these pathetic give backs and things keep going down hill.

Very commendable. No real arguments with any of it. You also must have pretty good seniority. A little reality check. First dont anyone be fooled that GM or Chrys will accept what we are going to approve. It is simply NOT enough for them. Granted if GM had gotten what they were offering last month, then yes the Iuaw would have tried to pass it on to us. But it will not work in the reverse.Because it is simply chump change for GM. I will say Chrys. could accept some form of our mod's but not as a stand alone company. They must merge, purge , ally, and consolidate. Pattern bargaining may have worked for contracts but it wont fit for pattern bankruptcies. Even adjusted for market share GM's pension liabilities tower over Fords'. Ford is being very shrewd with their marketing. Their yr over yr incentives have only gone up 3% over a yr ago (+/-). They are biting the bullet and even tempering their own sales #'s in the process. A very smart business move.

As far as survival. You are right. But it will be survival of the higher seniority.(Rightly So) As a letter, purportedly from Rouge that was going around our shop today, said, in favor of a yes vote. It explained how the oil embargo of '73, the Chrys. loans of '79, shithole of '80,'81, all lead to some form of concessions to save the Detroit 3 and later on some of these were restored in the late '80's and early '90's. (they said all but I'm still waiting for my PPH days and stock to return). Anyway the one common thread besides bad times these all had......fairly massive reductions in force.(starting with '79) We the people have never recovered since. But if you are the lucky higher sen. You may be spared. Those with under 10yrs sen. will go 26 wks with reg SUB/unempl. (about $900-950 in Mich) to another 26 of TAP of maybe $550. Plants going under retooling for all new product could have employees run out of all $$$ b-4 their plant is even ready to call them back. Thats also why they can buy out of their seniority when entering the TAP zone. Desparate people will do fickle things. And for every under 10 yr guy that is desparate enough, there is a 2nd tier in line to be hired sooner rather than later. Be prepared however you can but this roller coaster ride has just begun ...we arent even to the part of the ride that makes you shit yer pants.

Now just so we are clear, I am not advocating a yes or no. Each person must decide that themselves. But don't be surprised when just when you thought you couldnt breathe ....someone goes and throws another shovel of shit into the fan. Moral to this is 1). GM will not accept our terms unless the Govt walks them thru a bankruptcy and 2). Those under 10 yrs sen. are screwed.

Pretty well said

The only real flaw in all of this talk about '73, '79,'80-'81 is that during those years our jobs were not being SHIPPED OVERSEAS faster than a $.10 handjob..... GM is more than likely going belly up soon, at which time all of our concessions won't mean shit. I say we should keep everything we have, that way when the Judge takes from us we will be left with more.. Simple math and common sense people..wake up. If you go into C11 with better wages/benefits, you will come out with better wages/benefits. If you go into it with less....you come out with less.....PERIOD! The rest of this "package" is mostly smoke n mirrors to scare people into giving up the farm.

GM is done. Without federal loans they would be liquidated. They will be half there size in 12 months and will lose market share bigtime. Read the news reports. Chrysler has no good products in the pipeline.

Ford will be #1 in the USA in 2 years ahead of Toyota as well. I can see Ford taking its market share to 20% easily by next year and add another 3 points by 2011. Ford will capture 15% more of the Truck market by 2011 also.

GM is done. Without federal loans they would be liquidated. They will be half there size in 12 months and will lose market share bigtime. Read the news reports. Chrysler has no good products in the pipeline.

Ford will be #1 in the USA in 2 years ahead of Toyota as well. I can see Ford taking its market share to 20% easily by next year and add another 3 points by 2011. Ford will capture 15% more of the Truck market by 2011 also.

It`s difficult to attain any respectable share of the market without a trade agreement. These one way trade clauses, (Korea, Japan, etc,) need to be stopped and fast. Makes you wonder where all the big boys who support these types of agreements have their money invested.

The only real flaw in all of this talk about '73, '79,'80-'81 is that during those years our jobs were not being SHIPPED OVERSEAS faster than a $.10 handjob..... GM is more than likely going belly up soon, at which time all of our concessions won't mean shit. I say we should keep everything we have, that way when the Judge takes from us we will be left with more.. Simple math and common sense people..wake up. If you go into C11 with better wages/benefits, you will come out with better wages/benefits. If you go into it with less....you come out with less.....PERIOD! The rest of this "package" is mostly smoke n mirrors to scare people into giving up the farm.

now that is well said. some of these people no names (pulse,condor,soupy pipefitter)think the out come of this vote is it.if people don't start buying cars this vote means nothing. they will be back wanting more if you want to do or say something constructive go buy a new car or tell your friends and family to go buy one because that is the bottom line if nobody is buying nobody will be working period.

It`s difficult to attain any respectable share of the market without a trade agreement. These one way trade clauses, (Korea, Japan, etc,) need to be stopped and fast. Makes you wonder where all the big boys who support these types of agreements have their money invested.

What u talkin bout Willis? ford will take the market share that GM and Chrysler are losing. :finger:

Hello McFly anybody there? :finger:

Ford pays me

The UAW saves me.

I don't agree. I voted no. We have given a substantial amount back to the company with the last 2 contracts, not including the modification to create ACH. Enough is enough. If people can't start buying cars soon no amount of concessions is going to keep our jobs or save the company. People in this country are loosing jobs at over 600,00 new unemployed a week. The banks aren't lending people money. The concessions in this modification are unsubstantial compared to the amount of money the company has lost due to the reduced demand. This problem is much bigger than ford UAW members can pay for.

now that is well said. some of these people no names (pulse,condor,soupy pipefitter)think the out come of this vote is it.if people don't start buying cars this vote means nothing. they will be back wanting more if you want to do or say something constructive go buy a new car or tell your friends and family to go buy one because that is the bottom line if nobody is buying nobody will be working period.

You are correct on one part of this post.

If no one buys cars this wont help much. IF they do it will have been a preemptive boost much needed by Ford to survive without the Federal Government dictating your wages and benefits.

You are wrong on the other part of your post.

My name and title are posted on this site.

Ford pays me

The UAW saves me.

Pipefitter, I usually respect your opinion, but in this you're wrong. Get my head out of the sand?!? I've stayed away from this argument, but let me explain why I'm voting NO.

Let's address the arguments about GM and if they had negotiated the mods. This agreement doesn't come anywhere near what GM needs. Regardless of whether or not this passes. whatever more GM gives up Ford will be asking for in a couple of months. Remember whether this passes or not you're going to be back here again before the end of the year.

What happens if GM goes bankrupt? Do you know the impact it will have on Ford? We'll be facing the same fate or borrowing money from the gov't. If you make these mods now what more are you willing to give up when the gov't demands greater cuts? Do you honestly believe they won't?

Product commitments. Let me see if I got this straight. If I vote for these mods I'm going to get the same product commitments that you promised me if I voted for the '07 agreement. Gee, there's a deal! Also I'd like it put in writing where, when, and what. There are three plants that believe they have the Transit or Transit Connect coming to their plant. Most assembly plants were promised new body shops and products... based on economic conditions. Do you believe that clause has been taken out?

Shared sacrifice. Don't get me started. One of the biggest responsibilities/liabilities is our legacy costs. I'm sacrificing my cost of living, annual bonus, 2 holidays, and Christmas bonus. Why aren't the retirees giving back their annual bonus they got last contract? Why aren't they sacrificing toward the cost of their own health care? Is it not in their best interest to be concerned about the welfare of Ford as well? Where is their pension and health care going to be if Ford goes bankrupt? Those future VEBA payments won't mean jack if that happens!

Shared sacrifice (part two). What has the international union sacrificed? At the last concon they voted to give themselves raises, albeit against the wishes of Ron Gettelfinger. My suggestion-- Why don't they lower our monthly union dues a half hour a month and make a sacrifice to help me out. Last I checked there was almost 1bln in the strike fund that we won't ever need.

Give backs. I already had a contract with the company... in the 10yrs I've been with Ford I've had several. Since I hired in it's been nothing but givebacks. In '99 it was the Visteon spinoff. How's that getting out of parts plan working out now?!? Since then it's been health care and cost of living and a number of other things I can't think of off the top of my head. At what point do you draw the line?

Common sense. Why,at this point when we're not selling vehicles, do we need to cut break times to increase production? Simply put, to eliminate more jobs.

Lastly, when this passes, look at what you've given up in the last two years. What's taken the union decades to achieve has been given back almost without argument in two years. How long is it going to take to get those benefits back? If times were wonderful and Ford was making record profits would they open the contract in the middle to increase your benefits?

Get my head out of the sand?!? Even though we may not agree why don't you quit being a presumptuous ass and treating me like I haven't thought about it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and their vote. I vote no because all I've done the last ten years is give back to the company and honestly this time I don't believe these modifications will have any impact on the survivability of Ford.

Edited by DeezNutz

Pipefitter, I usually respect your opinion, but in this you're wrong. Get my head out of the sand?!? I've stayed away from this argument, but let me explain why I'm voting NO.

Let's address the arguments about GM and if they had negotiated the mods. This agreement doesn't come anywhere near what GM needs. Regardless of whether or not this passes. whatever more GM gives up Ford will be asking for in a couple of months. Remember whether this passes or not you're going to be back here again before the end of the year.

What happens if GM goes bankrupt? Do you know the impact it will have on Ford? We'll be facing the same fate or borrowing money from the gov't. If you make these mods now what more are you willing to give up when the gov't demands greater cuts? Do you honestly believe they won't?

Product commitments. Let me see if I got this straight. If I vote for these mods I'm going to get the same product commitments that you promised me if I voted for the '07 agreement. Gee, there's a deal! Also I'd like it put in writing where, when, and what. There are three plants that believe they have the Transit or Transit Connect coming to their plant. Most assembly plants were promised new body shops and products... based on economic conditions. Do you believe that clause has been taken out?

Shared sacrifice. Don't get me started. One of the biggest responsibilities/liabilities is our legacy costs. I'm sacrificing my cost of living, annual bonus, 2 holidays, and Christmas bonus. Why aren't the retirees giving back their annual bonus they got last contract? Why aren't they sacrificing toward the cost of their own health care? Is it not in their best interest to be concerned about the welfare of Ford as well? Where is their pension and health care going to be if Ford goes bankrupt? Those future VEBA payments won't mean jack if that happens!

Shared sacrifice (part two). What has the international union sacrificed? At the last concon they voted to give themselves raises, albeit against the wishes of Ron Gettelfinger. My suggestion-- Why don't they lower our monthly union dues a half hour a month and make a sacrifice to help me out. Last I checked there was almost 1bln in the strike fund that we won't ever need.

Give backs. I already had a contract with the company... in the 10yrs I've been with Ford I've had several. Since I hired in it's been nothing but givebacks. In '99 it was the Visteon spinoff. How's that getting out of parts plan working out now?!? Since then it's been health care and cost of living and a number of other things I can't think of off the top of my head. At what point do you draw the line?

Common sense. Why,at this point when we're not selling vehicles, do we need to cut break times to increase production? Simply put, to eliminate more jobs.

Lastly, when this passes, look at what you've given up in the last two years. What's taken the union decades to achieve has been given back almost without argument in two years. How long is it going to take to get those benefits back? If times were wonderful and Ford was making record profits would they open the contract in the middle to increase your benefits?

Get my head out of the sand?!? Even though we may not agree why don't you quit being a presumptuous ass and treating me like I haven't thought about it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and their vote. I vote no because all I've done the last ten years is give back to the company and honestly this time I don't believe these modifications will have any impact on the survivability of Ford.

Deez, or anyone else who may feel this way,

If I came across that way I do apologize, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and vote.

I'll come back in a bit and edit this post on some of your concerns and my take on them.

Shared sacrifice. Don't get me started. One of the biggest responsibilities/liabilities is our legacy costs. I'm sacrificing my cost of living, annual bonus, 2 holidays, and Christmas bonus. Why aren't the retirees giving back their annual bonus they got last contract? Well the retiree's weren't involved in the negotiations they don't get to vote. Why aren't they sacrificing toward the cost of their own health care? We do contribute to our health care, so get your facts straight. Is it not in their best interest to be concerned about the welfare of Ford as well? Where is their pension and health care going to be if Ford goes bankrupt? Those future VEBA payments won't mean jack if that happens!

Give backs. I already had a contract with the company... in the 10yrs I've been with Ford I've had several. Since I hired in it's been nothing but givebacks. In '99 it was the Visteon spinoff. How's that getting out of parts plan working out now?!? Since then it's been health care and cost of living and a number of other things I can't think of off the top of my head. At what point do you draw the line? You hired in during good times you don't have a clue what was given up during hard times before so go ahead draw a line, I hope you have better luck at finding a job than the 8.1% that are out of work are having.

Common sense. Why,at this point when we're not selling vehicles, do we need to cut break times to increase production? Simply put, to eliminate more jobs. Cutting break times has always been about eliminating jobs, has nothing to do with increased production.

Edited by rn4

Flip flopper, you've been screaming that this is the end if we vote yes and you were voting no, then you changed your mind to yes. Then on another thread you were saying that the F-series was getting it's ass kicked by GM and it was all doom and gloom. You say one thing and then say something opposite, which makes you a flip flopper. Maybe you wanna explain why the color of the sky in your world went from black to blue. :headscratch:

Edited by simplesituations

All of these people who are saying "I voted NO because the concessions we made won't do shit to save the company anyways" are all a bunch of freaking RETARDS.

So, with that argument, you are saying that if the IUAW would have granted significantly STEEPER concessions you would have voted Yes?

Fucking idiots. Get a clue.

Last week the president and CEO of my wife's company sent out a company wide email stating that from that point on, because of the downturned economy, all raises and all 401k matching was terminated. There was no vote, they got an email stating it and that was that.

We have it good with the UAW, and still I am amazed to see the people shitting on it at every turn.

All of these people who are saying "I voted NO because the concessions we made won't do shit to save the company anyways" are all a bunch of freaking RETARDS.

So, with that argument, you are saying that if the IUAW would have granted significantly STEEPER concessions you would have voted Yes?

Last week the president and CEO of my wife's company sent out a company wide email stating that from that point on, because of the downturned economy, all raises and all 401k matching was terminated. There was no vote, they got an email stating it and that was that.

We have it good with the UAW, and still I am amazed to see the people shitting on it at every turn.

I never stated what I was voting, that's my decision

#1 for the idiot reward, it dont matter if it we took steeper concessions dumbass! we have given enough, if you want a lower paying job with shitty benifiits well just sit tight for a little while longer, keep voting yes, and you'll have it right here asshole!

that just shows your stupidity level.

"i'm a dumb uninformed company suckass"

repeat this 40x

you fit it!!

I voted No because what we are giving up is way to much. We have bacially no protection for workers with under 10 years while employees with 20+ years got a 4 week bump in SUB pay that more than likely they will never have to use. Once again this is the company and international dividing the union just like when they went from local agreements that covered work rules to the COAs that now force each local to bid against other locals for extra production. Also no even noticed that in the unpublished letters of understanding that were not passed out to the membership that executive and salaried bonuses and merit increases were only suspended for 2009 that means if the want to they can give themselves raises or bonuses next year if they feel they deserve it while we are left out in the cold. No ask yourself is that sharing the birden equally? I think not! But that is are international lying to us telling us if we don't accept this offer Ford will file bankrupcy which is not true. The company knows the bankrupcy is the last option, cause they know as well as everyone that uses half their brain that NO ONE will buy a car from a company that could be out of business i a year or two, that means no warranty coverage. And another thing on the internationals stance on this and other contracts. Our international is there to negtiotate for us they are not there to tell us which way to vote and force the locals to tell there membership which way to vote. Last time I checked we are free country not a communist society the way the UAW tells its membership what to do. Think of this who does the international have to respond to when it is time for them to get re-elected? OH thats right they are appointed to those positions, and are president is voted in by those that he appoints maybe it is time for the membership to demand a vote on who should represent us at the top like the teamsters do. But thats right are so called great leader Yokich said I will never merger with the teamsters they are to corrupt. Who is to corrupt a organization that lets its membership decide who they want leading them or a organization that tells its membership vote this way or else.

Oh one more thing all those new product commitments are mostly the same as the 2007 agreement. So basically we commitment on new products that we had before. So we got NOTHING in this agreement and gave up ALOT. I would have accepted losing my peformance bonus half my x-mas bonus and reduction down to .50 per hour COLA for the rest of the agreement and everyone taking a 12 week reduction in SUB pay benefits to 36 weeks and another 20 weeks of TAP but what we gave up is to much. Also I sure if you asked the retires to take a $100 reduction in there x-mas bonus they would have.

When the president of our union says on national t.v. we could all work for free and it would'nt save these companies, and then comes to us with some bullshit concession package just to appease some republican senators who hate the big 3 and the uaw your dam right i voted no. hope you have 10 years in, because if you don't maybe you just voted yourself out of a job dumbass :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::finger::banghead:

When the president of our union says on national t.v. we could all work for free and it would'nt save these companies, and then comes to us with some bullshit concession package just to appease some republican senators who hate the big 3 and the uaw your dam right i voted no. hope you have 10 years in, because if you don't maybe you just voted yourself out of a job dumbass :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::finger::banghead:

Further emphasis on my posting. Fucking idiot.

Dumb ass is two words by the way, you dumb ass.

I wonder if the southern plants will see how being unionized helps and ralley to become part of the UAW.

just google Toyota shortens work week and look at all they are losing in this recession. Those fools better get their heads out of the sand.