HONDA to offer BUYOUTS

This is sad not funny. It also said Honda will cut pay.. Well guess what, our Govt. is after us to cut our pay with the imports. Here we go a race to the bottom. :censored:

I agree end of time, one should never gloat or be happy that another worker is facing a hardship! You also make a great point, are we now going to have to accept more concessions to be on equal footing with the transplants? Hopefully this will motivate those workers at the transplants to organize. This may be the opening the UAW needs, now we need to call our Congress and demand the passage of the Employee Free Choice Act.

I agree end of time, one should never gloat or be happy that another worker is facing a hardship! You also make a great point, are we now going to have to accept more concessions to be on equal footing with the transplants? Hopefully this will motivate those workers at the transplants to organize. This may be the opening the UAW needs, now we need to call our Congress and demand the passage of the Employee Free Choice Act.

Wheres that buyout ?... I have the sudden urge to take what I can get and run like hell....

Wow.

IMHO, this is further proof that the U.S. auto industry is in a depression You know it's bad when HONDA offers buyouts.

And Honda fired-up it's new plant in Greensburg, IN just last year! Guess they won't be hiring anytime soon.

Didn't Toyota or Nissan---or both---offer buyouts, too?

Wheres that buyout ?... I have the sudden urge to take what I can get and run like hell....

run where? don't run stand up be a man and fight. write letters to your elected officals. to your local newspapers, tv and radio. Let the AMERICAN worker be heard. We will not just lay down and die.

run where? don't run stand up be a man and fight. write letters to your elected officals. to your local newspapers, tv and radio. Let the AMERICAN worker be heard. We will not just lay down and die.
That's all great, but Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are resorting to this because like Pumpmaster said, the auto industry is in a depression. Not enough car sales. And since these guys use about half the suppliers we in Detroit use, that means bigger trouble ahead for the parts supply base.

Please don't take me as being TOTALLY unsympathetic. I am a little, just let me say that. BUT, this is a prime example of how instrumental OUR UAW is. The plantwarts and their "workers" have had an ample opportunity to join the Union. NOW, as we have taken a cut, they will take an even bigger one. Ya see, the japs & shelby think they have us hooked. They think they can use the plantwarts to pull us down even further. Now is the time to organize downsouth. Those folks are fixin' to get their cornflakes pissed in. :banvictory:

Wednesday, 01 April 2009 11:10

Honda’s continuing response to poor economic conditions now includes pay cuts across all North American operations, the imposition of non-work days and, for the first time, early buyouts, the automaker announced Tuesday.

“We’re dealing with a very serious situation obviously,” Honda of America Manufacturing Co. spokesman Ron Lietzke said. “However, we’re trying to minimize the impact on our associates and their families.”

Mr. Lietzke said the salary cuts, which start in May, apply to every salaried position including the president, and to every Honda operation including sales and research and development. As per company policy regarding employee compensation, he would not provide details of the cuts.

He did say the highest levels of management would see the biggest cuts.

Several sources are reporting cuts of 1 to 2 percent depending on the position.

Hourly pay rates remain unchanged, however, Honda will have two non-work days in each of the months of May, June and July.

This differs from non-production days in that production associates will not show up for work at all, Mr. Lietzke said.

They can choose to take vacation pay or no pay for the non-work days, he said.

For non-production days, associates can continue to choose to show up for work, use vacation or stay home with no pay or attendance penalty.

The company also has rolled out offers of enhanced retirement and voluntary separation packages. Again, Mr. Lietzke declined to provide details of the packages. Annual bonuses will be greatly reduced if offered at all, Mr. Lietzke said.

Production at all of the North American auto plants, including Honda Transmission in Russells Point and the Anna Engine Plant, will be cut by 13 days, Mr. Lietzke said.

Plants will have some flexibility in setting the non-production days, he said.

At the East Liberty and Marysville auto plants, each Friday in May plus Monday, May 18, will be non-production days. June 5 and 19 will be non-production days.

The summer shutdown, set for June 29 to July 3, will be extended for a week to include July 6 through 10. Employees will have to use at least three days of vacation during the extra week of shutdown, Mr. Lietzke said.

Since October, Honda has reduced its production by 204,000 units at its North American plants. The new production announcement will cut another 62,000 units.

Mr. Lietzke said Honda has not yet calculated the savings it will see from the production and salary cuts.

“We need to endure what is going on in the market place which is very low right now,” he said. “However, we are confident in our long-term prospects and we will continue to carefully manage our operations to meet the demands of our customers, dealers and associates.”

Honda Motor Co. has 35,600 employee in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

It builds Accords and Acuras at Marysville and Elements and CR-Vs at East Liberty.

Honda employs around 15,000 in Ohio at its various operations.

Wow.

IMHO, this is further proof that the U.S. auto industry is in a depression You know it's bad when HONDA offers buyouts.

And Honda fired-up it's new plant in Greensburg, IN just last year! Guess they won't be hiring anytime soon.

Honda I believe has not really cut production like the big three have. I remember reading an article about Honda storing cars at an old ford plant in Ohio. They are stock piling the hell out of there vehicles. Feel sorry for there workers when they get there massive layoff. My guess is is the economy is going to be F-'d up for quite some time. Save your money.........

Now is the time to organize downsouth. Those folks are fixin' to get their cornflakes pissed in. :banvictory:

Organize what? another group to run along beside us to the bottom! I know a couple of people that work for Toyota, they tell me the workers in the plant don't want anything to do with the union. If I was on the outside looking in, I wouldn't want anything to do with a union neither. Too much dirty politics and bullshit for somebody looking to join a organization like ours and those people know it!

Organize what? another group to run along beside us to the bottom! I know a couple of people that work for Toyota, they tell me the workers in the plant don't want anything to do with the union. If I was on the outside looking in, I wouldn't want anything to do with a union neither. Too much dirty politics and bullshit for somebody looking to join a organization like ours and those people know it!

This is something that burdens me. I see so many responses on this board of honest people, hard-working people who know what needs to be done to fix this Union. But how many of us are actually working at saving it? I'm not trying to be Christ's answer to the UAW, but I have become much more active in Local 249. Maybe one day, I'll even run for a position, and do a damn good job of not caring for myself and my buddies, but for the sole bettering of the workforce. (I currently don't think my education of the Union is strong enough to run for a high position and I happen to like my Alternate and Committeeman.) Go to your meetings. Attend worker rallies. Write to your papers and Congress members. We are the only ones who are going to better our image to those looking in from the outside. The media is against us and we are letting them get away with interviewing Toyota workers saying, "Well, I already make $30/hr, receive benefits, and am proud to be non-Union." If there is no outrage from us to our Union and government leaders, then we'll never see a change. The dirty politics will only stop if we stand up and fight and oust the officials who fall victim to selfishness, greed, and beer bellies.

Wow.

We were told that we needed to ratify these recent concessions in order to get competitive with the transplants. Now those same transplants are announcing layoffs and buyouts. I can't help but wonder what they are telling their employees about all of this: We need to get competitive with sweat shops in Indonesia????

Wouldn't it seem that if the REAL reason for our company's troubles was how we are so grossly overpaid, that this would be a great opportunity for our foreign rivals to swoop in capitolize on our current unfortunate circumstances?

:stirpot:

We were told that we needed to ratify these recent concessions in order to get competitive with the transplants. Now those same transplants are announcing layoffs and buyouts. I can't help but wonder what they are telling their employees about all of this: We need to get competitive with sweat shops in Indonesia????

Wouldn't it seem that if the REAL reason for our company's troubles was how we are so grossly overpaid, that this would be a great opportunity for our foreign rivals to swoop in capitolize on our current unfortunate circumstances?

:stirpot:

One of the conditions of the bridge loans was that we reach parity in compensation with the transplant automakers by Dec. 31st 2009. Now Detroit has taken a cut, but if the transplants reduce their workers comp, then there will have to be more cuts in Detroit to be in compliance with the bridge loan agreement.

All it said was that we were to reach parity by that date, that means at whatever rate they are at on that date. They could force the contract to be renegotiated yet again if the transplants implement a lessor compensation then they pay currently!

One of the conditions of the bridge loans was that we reach parity in compensation with the transplant automakers by Dec. 31st 2009. Now Detroit has taken a cut, but if the transplants reduce their workers comp, then there will have to be more cuts in Detroit to be in compliance with the bridge loan agreement.

All it said was that we were to reach parity by that date, that means at whatever rate they are at on that date. They could force the contract to be renegotiated yet again if the transplants implement a lessor compensation then they pay currently!

Yeah, it's definitely a bidding war in terms of getting low at this point. I hear and read so many people that believe that we made concessions, so now it's over and behind us. Truth is, as long as the competition gets lower, then we'll be told we need to get lower. There was a time, long, long ago when there were sweat shops right here in the U.S. This is a recipe for pushing things back in that direction. I don't know if it will come to minimum wage in the auto factories, but who says that if we DID take a $10 pay cut, it would end there?

There have been posts in response to some of the anti union sentiment stating in plain english that the main reason the transplant auto workers make as much as they do is due to the threat of organization. Bottom line is: the less we make the less they will make. Maybe they should start taking that to heart instead of complaining to their senators and congressmen about how overpaid we are. We told them this was coming next and now here it is. They keep bitching, we end up making $14-$18 and they will be lucky to get $10. The ring of stupidity.