Michelle Obama hugs the queen

We have no problem with Quebec. We have an issue with a minority of Quebecers that want to leave this country. Getting rid of the Monarchy won't make the sovereigntists go away. And for Gods sake, leave the Royal Canadian Mounted Police alone...fix the problems with them that currently exist, yes, but quit pushing for the destruction of our national symbols.

Quebec/Hull is Quebec's National Capital Region, according to the highway sign. They think of themselves as a separate nation now. That is because Canada is too English for their liking. It is too English for many Canadians' liking. Just because you like being English doesn't mean that we all should be forced to be English. People who want to be English should move to England.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm...you do realize that Ottawa - Gatineau is the National Capital Region, right? Both cities are part of it...the Canadian Museum of Civilization is even there....many government offices (The Canada Revenue Agency, for example) are in Gatineau. Quebec is different, yes, but it is the way it is, and most of them like being in Canada and want to stay. Your republican dream won't change anything.

Ummm...you do realize that Ottawa - Gatineau is the National Capital Region, right? Both cities are part of it...the Canadian Museum of Civilization is even there....many government offices (The Canada Revenue Agency, for example) are in Gatineau. Quebec is different, yes, but it is the way it is, and most of them like being in Canada and want to stay. Your republican dream won't change anything.

It won't let me edit once I post. I meant Quebec/Levis. I have been there dozens of times. Quebec City/Levis is the National Capital of the nation of Quebec. Why? Canada is too English-oriented, having pictures of the Queen on the currency, and English symbols everywhere. Quebecois want to have their own country. They have a lot of bad blood with England, so they do not like Canada the way it is. If we stopped being so English, then Quebecers, and many other people, immigrants included, would take more of a shine to Canada. They would be proud and want to be part of it instead of being non-caring, as you said, and care more about the money they make here than any patriotism they feel. Their patriotism is still with their real country, because they don't see Canada as a real country.

It won't let me edit once I post. I meant Quebec/Levis. I have been there dozens of times. Quebec City/Levis is the National Capital of the nation of Quebec. Why?

Why? Because first, nation has different meanings in English and French, and second, Quebec has, as you know, had separatist governments that were more than happy to name as many things as they could so that it seemed that Quebec was its own country. Doesn't change the fact that the majority of Quebecers want to stay in Canada and the average Quebecer rates Canada as 7.8/10. When the question about the Monarchy is posed properly (referring to the Queen of Canada in conjunction with the election of the head of government) 73% of people from Quebec say they like things the way they are. Face it, the vast majority of people don't think like you.

Why? Because first, nation has different meanings in English and French, and second, Quebec has, as you know, had separatist governments that were more than happy to name as many things as they could so that it seemed that Quebec was its own country. Doesn't change the fact that the majority of Quebecers want to stay in Canada and the average Quebecer rates Canada as 7.8/10. When the question about the Monarchy is posed properly (referring to the Queen of Canada in conjunction with the election of the head of government) 73% of people from Quebec say they like things the way they are. Face it, the vast majority of people don't think like you.

If given the choice of either seperating or accepting the status quo, of course the majority will vote to stay. They fear the unknown just like anyone. I can tell you that a large segment of Canadians are bitterly opposed to anything English. Maybe many of them don't feel that it is their place to speak out about it because that is how it was when they came here. I don't like being the Gabby Hayes side-kick to any Redcoat. We can still be allies and friends, but as equals. Why should a Quebecer have to honor the country that ravaged his land? The same goes for the Acadians who were run off and some scalped for bounty, along with the Mi'kmaq; and the Aboriginals and Blacks who fought for the Redcoats for land which they never got. If we were to withdraw from the Commonwealth on friendly terms, it would bring Canada together. Australia is very close to withdrawing. They probably will go when the Queen passes away. She is all that is holding the Commonwealth together. That is why she is hanging on until her death or until there is someone who will be loved like she is. There is no one who can fill her shoes. Even I love her.

It's quite clear that given your inaccurate statements about Canada's sovereignty, given the fact that you don't realize that we don't honour England, the fact that you have no idea what the commonwealth is about, the fact that you don't accurately portray the feelings of Australians, the fact that you don't understand that there are rules of succession for royalty, and given the fact that you don't mention that the Queen has always said she will serve for life...all shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm done discussing it.

It's quite clear that given your inaccurate statements about Canada's sovereignty, given the fact that you don't realize that we don't honour England, the fact that you have no idea what the commonwealth is about, the fact that you don't accurately portray the feelings of Australians, the fact that you don't understand that there are rules of succession for royalty, and given the fact that you don't mention that the Queen has always said she will serve for life...all shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm done discussing it.

If you don't think it is an honor to have another country put the face of your Queen on their coins and paper money, then you don't know what honor is. Look it up. It doesn't take a majority of the people to be against something to cause divisions. My peanut butter analogy was ignored. You don't serve peanut butter if you know that some people present have an allergy to it. Canada is supposed to be for everybody. Many feel excluded or second rate under the Commonwealth. Conversly, those who favor Commonwealth membership feel superior. They feel they whipped the Francophones and the Indians. These people are now in submission. I say that nobody whipped anybody. The wars were between foreigh powers and had nothing to do with Canadians. Canadians were innocent victims who need to heal. They can't until they realize their identity, which isn't English, or French, for that matter. We are all Canadians, no hyphens, no "founding nations". We made this country, ourselves, despite hardships which were brought down on us by greedy outsiders.

What is scary is your American system where politicians are easily bought and sold,

pretending to represent their electorate when in fact they are owned by a pressure group.

Meh, at least they can be replaced relatively easily if they screw up too bad or start to get too power hungry. And there are two other branches of government keeping an eye on the other one. Is it a perfect system? Of course not, but I think it's about as close as you can get (not to say it's the only one that works well either, so not starting a fight here :P ).

Big corporations and collusion between them and government is a result of big government. Having many government regulations makes it impossible for new small companies to get off the ground, so the big ones get a monopoly. They get their people elected, and everything is cozy. We need to cut government down to size and take away much of its power and authority. If each state had some of the powers that are now with the federal government, there would be more competition, as each state could set its own regulations, and businesses would set up where it was more favorable. There would be more, as you say, "checks and balances". The people would set the balance between environmental concerns and prosperity locally, instead of being dictated to by Washington.

Big corporations and collusion between them and government is a result of big government. Having many government regulations makes it impossible for new small companies to get off the ground, so the big ones get a monopoly. They get their people elected, and everything is cozy. We need to cut government down to size and take away much of its power and authority. If each state had some of the powers that are now with the federal government, there would be more competition, as each state could set its own regulations, and businesses would set up where it was more favorable. There would be more, as you say, "checks and balances". The people would set the balance between environmental concerns and prosperity locally, instead of being dictated to by Washington.

+1 on every count there. Now why can't you be this logical in your other threads? :P

+1 on every count there. Now why can't you be this logical in your other threads? :P

I am. You just need to get your mind right. I am Mr. Spock. I can cut through religion and politics and "education" to arrive at the logical conclusion. If you have political convictions, or religion, or "education", you will not be able to follow me. These things will weigh you down.