BREAKING NEWS: Chrysler expected to file for Bankruptcy tomorrow

2005Explorer

"Chrysler’s best assets would be sold to a new entity that would have an ownership structure similar to that envisioned in an out-of-court deal between the Auburn Hills, Michigan-based automaker and Fiat, based in Turin, Italy, the people said."

That sounds like good news for Fiat. They can take what they want and let the rest be trashed.

it would be a very quick type of bankruptcy and they could continue operating and emerge on the other side in a much stronger position.

Yeah right. And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

They're going to need a revolving door down at the courthouse for all the creditors. You think the UAW, dealers, and suppliers are going to smile when told to go pound sand--to fight over the battered crust of 'crappy Chrysler'?

The only people that will benefit from this are the lawyers--------and, kind of, Fiat.

Except that Fiat is in such lousy shape that they're probably teetering on the edge of disaster as well.

Actually if the last 'merger' of Chrysler was a merger of equals, this this is definitely a merger of UN-equals.

10 years ago, Chrysler was in 3 or more times better shape. Now it's but a hollow shell.

Let's say everything works wonderfully and no more problems, no more money poured into it. What do you people see in this future? A Wrangler, a Grand Cherokee, a Chrysler mini-van, a Dodge ram and a Fiat 500?

Those are the model lines Fiat will have to sell to clean their own house, when it happens to them.

Wait, have I been fooled into thinking that Fiat is in much better shape than FORD? And even Ford doesn't want any of that?

Well I wish I could predict the future. Or at least live it and come back and make a fortune for it.

Al right can anyone guess how low the UAW pay scale is going to shift?

the union employees are making $75 dollars an hour anyways right?

cut that down to what $14? maybe $20?

Umm, I seriously hope you're kidding about that $75 remark. See the sticky note at the top of the thread list.

I sense some Fix It Again Tony negativity here. The US knows Fiat from 30 years ago. But in fairness to Fiat they are a much changed company. They have uber efficient plants in Eastern Europe and make arguable one of the finest small car ranges in the world. The Fiat 500 is their cheaper MINI rival and is a total sell out. The Fiat Grande Punto, and Fiat Panda are also big sucess stories for Fiat. Their problem is that no one in Europe likes Fiat branded large cars. So whilst Fiat can fight hard against say Ford in the small car market, it does OK against the Focus, but not brilliantly and it's getting nowhere against the Mondeo. In fact they pulled the Chroma out of the UK altogether after they realised what an immense flop it was after just a few months.

Alfa Romeo is another kettle of fish. Great styling, reasonable reliabilty, OK performance but FWD so struggles in the handeling dept. They sell well in Europe but not wonderfully well. However I'd argue that if they had access to the US market then they might scare the living crap out of the likes of Lincoln by pricing keenly but impressing with Italian flair.

Lancia is almost an Italian only brand. I could see this dying or effectively sharing models with Chrysler.

Their Ferrari and Mazerati brands are all doing very well.

The big negative is their debt mountain of about 16 billion Euro's. But they are doing OK in a recession and have a spring in their step. If they can fix Jeep quickly then it will find a big market in Italy and Europe generally, but Fiat need to take control of this fast because it's getting trounced over here. As for Chrysler or Dodge then I could see Chrysler and Lancia sharing models whilst Dodge and Alfa Romeo possibly work more closely together sharing floorpans, transmissions, etc....

This could work.

Alfa Romeo is another kettle of fish. Great styling, reasonable reliabilty, OK performance but FWD so struggles in the handeling dept. They sell well in Europe but not wonderfully well. However I'd argue that if they had access to the US market then they might scare the living crap out of the likes of Lincoln by pricing keenly but impressing with Italian flair.

:headscratch:

Mmm...yeah.

hey have uber efficient plants in Eastern Europe and make arguable one of the finest small car ranges in the world. The Fiat 500 is their cheaper MINI rival and is a total sell out. The Fiat Grande Punto, and Fiat Panda are also big sucess stories for Fiat.

The problem is that there isn't much of a market in the US for a car smaller then the Focus. Even when $4 dollar gas come back to the US, people would much rather drive in a I4 Fusion getting 32-34 MPG then a Fiesta that does 38 or so..and its going to take Years for rebranded Fiats to make it to the states, we'd be lucky to see them by 2012 at the earliest..and I'm willing to be that Chrysler doesn't make it that long.