Foreign Cars Are Forgettable

Stugots

I started thinking the other day about foreign cars, and how they may be a fad now but they aren't memorable. How many movies and tv shows have you watched where the car was the "star"? There have been quite a few. Other than magnum pi and his ferrari its all american, detroit muscle. I know you're thinking about the fast and the furious. Ok even there the little rice burners zipped around and looked stupid. When the time came to get down to business vin diesel pulled out the detroit muscle and that was the car everyone talked about from that movie. Steve mcqueen and the bullitt mustang. The general lee. Both knight riders. The bandit. Transformers. The A-team. The list goes on and on.

Without spending a quarter million on an exotic sports car, American muscle cars are the only performance cars. With Jap cars you have to spend a fortune to keep up with our muscle. With the American autos you get a lot more car for your money. In todays competitve market consumers are slowly but surely finding out that American quailty higher than people realize. The sad part is that we would get more credit (as far as quality goes) if our own government would stand behind us as the governments of our counterparts do.

Just a Few....

Herbie- 63' VW Beetle

Miami Vice- Ferrari 365gts

Ferris Bueller's Day Off- 61' Ferrari 250GT Spyder

Risky Buisness- 79' Porsche 928

James Bond Die Another Day- 02' Aston Martin Vanquish

Itialian Job - 03' Mini Cooper (original movie used 68' Austin MK and Mini Cooper S)

Magnum PI- 79' Ferrari 308GTS

James Bond The Spy Who Loved Me- 75' Lotus Esprit (submersible)

James Bond Goldfinger- 63' Austin Martin DB5

If you don't remember these you must live under a rock...

Just a Few....

Herbie- 63' VW Beetle

Itialian Job - 03' Mini Cooper (original movie used 68' Austin MK and Mini Cooper S)

I remember the ferrari. Nice ITALIAN automobile. Slug bug and a mini cooper I'd rather not remember. I'd take a mustang over a porsche any day of the week.

Just a Few....

Herbie- 63' VW Beetle

Dude, how about listing something that Joe Six-Pack can afford? Or do we have to pull the Ford GT out of the garage? Sheesh! :redcard:

Just a Few....

Herbie- 63' VW Beetle

3 of these are bond movies what do you expect from a Brit and the rest do not empress as well, and the U.S. legal Porsche what a over priced joke, and none of these really affect market share because the common man cant afford these but where's your list of rice burners all you have here is mostly kraut and pasta burners.

I wish hollywood would buy 25 million cars a year.

Otherwise its al bullshit. So we have the coolest old muscle, that doesn't sell the Edge, the Explorer or all the other cars not related to those cool cars.

I'm with you the old cars are sweet. I just don't see where it makes a difference other than in our hearts.

Besides the new movies are moving to foreign cars that may seem to be forgettable, but are decent cars. the Transporter uses BMW's, a Mecedes and the Audi.

This thread is like talking about which horse was more famous Rogers Trigger or Autry's Champion. We don't ride them or sell them.

I do like that GM put how much money into getting TRansformers to use GM's and its going fucking broke. Good thing they spent that money without all the sales that movie inspired you can imagine where they'd be.

personally for me, its Bullitt, and the Triumph in "the Great Escape"

I agree that allot of the new movies are using foreign cars even allot of TV shows and music videos as well, I had read a article a while back explaining this and the reason was DVR not as many people watch TV in real time anymore because they can DVR it, and skip through the commercials, and their doing this with allot of products, even stores have got into this kick. I can remember years back you could watch a movie or a sit-com and these products were blurred out or had a similar look but a different name, my how times have changed before they didn't want anything to with TV now they out bid one another to have their product used on there.

Just a Few....

Herbie- 63' VW Beetle

What about American Grahfetti, or how bout' that bus Ride in the movie Speed (ha ha) that has to be an American Bus that Sandra Bulloch was sporting. What about the Griswalds in that loaded down family wagon? Grease Lightning anyone? These movies were all a hoot and even made funnier with the rides they had. Rice burners couldn't compare.

Did anyone mention Vanishing Point? '70 Challenger

Or Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, late 60's Chevy and Sublime Green '69 Charger

I love the line from the cop in that movie, about his police interceptor Fury: "My top end, is unlimited"

Edited by Ranger4.0

How could you forget gone in 60 seconds? Eleanor, the shelby gt500.

The first Eleanor was a 1973 Mach 1.

I'll add to the list a few

Dazed and Confused- All kinds of Detroit Muscle in that one

Phantasm- 1971 Hemi cuda

Tommy Boy- 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX convertible

Billy Madison- 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

Also note the Red early 90s LX Notchback Fox body Mustang parked across the street and white LX Mustang convertible that passes by

The Hollywood Knights- Another one with to many to list

the quote i found suggests your both wrong....

“Eleanor” Is a 1971 Fastback Ford Mustang played the role of a 1973 Mach 1 Ford Mustang, a true lady both beautiful and tough and is the "Star" of Gone in 60 Seconds.

Toby Halicki, teams up with “Eleanor” and puts her through “The most hair-raising chase scene ever filmed”…. said Car Craft Magazine

I've searched and searched, and I have yet to find any source that says Eleanor was anything but a '73 Mach 1. What issue of Car Craft said that?

i hate a fucking rice rocket. they sound like a sick weed eater but i have to say....they are fast. been beat a few times in my 06 gt with mods but id still rather keep my v-8 sound and horses

LOL..Buy a Camaro then. The manual SS version makes 426 hp. Those rice rockets won't know what hit 'em. Shit, even the 6 cylinder Camaro makes 304 hp.