2016 should be the practical deadline for the Panther platform now with King Hussein's recent CAFE mandate change forces us all into Geo Metros.

If you think that's the case, you don't have a very good grasp of what the new CAFE regulations really mean. And why would you complain? You own a metro and your next newest car was built over a decade ago. What impact does CAFE have on you?

Edited by NickF1011

If you think that's the case, you don't have a very good grasp of what the new CAFE regulations really mean.

It means the largest non-hybrid sedans available will be Fusion sized FTL.

And why would you complain? You own a metro and your next newest car was built over a decade ago. What impact does CAFE have on you?

God willing at that point I'll have the increased financial means to make a new car purchase if I desire to, of course at this rate, there will be absolutely nothing I'll have an interest in buying. As far as have cars a decade old, if it ain't broke...

I'm thinking of an "A' that comes to mind....j/k. :hysterical:

Cute, but fullsize cars aren't going to suddenly disappear because of the new CAFE. They say the same thing every time CAFE is changed. Automakers find ways to adapt. People will still want and need large cars. Automakers will find ways to provide them.

Cute, but fullsize cars aren't going to suddenly disappear because of the new CAFE. They say the same thing every time CAFE is changed. Automakers find ways to adapt. People will still want and need large cars. Automakers will find ways to provide them.

I believe they'll go away shy of some major technological breakthrough (hydrogen etc). I think automakers will be more likely to invest in improving SUVs since they can get further with the "Fleet average" of trucks versus the "fleet average" for cars.

I believe they'll go away shy of some major technological breakthrough (hydrogen etc). I think automakers will be more likely to invest in improving SUVs since they can get further with the "Fleet average" of trucks versus the "fleet average" for cars.

Well I certainly don't see a return to the 1950's-70's when even many "small" cars on the road were pretty darn large. But I don't see them disappearing entirely. There will always be niche large cars, CAFE be damned. I do agree with you on the SUV thing though also. I think the way the new CAFE is worded, it may end up having untintended consequences in that regard -- unless, of course, gas prices shoot through the roof.

• 1 month later...
The panther is getting a new skin for 2014 after a years hiatus. Also new will be: V-6 eco-boost, V8 5.0 & 4.4 Diesel (maybe reduced to 3.6). All will feature a 6 speed AT.

Also, the GM and TC will be getting a future Mustang derived IRS. CV PI will continue with SRA.

Update:

Diesel is out for the time being for NA sales.

V6EB and 5LV8 still a go for 2014

Here's the biggie!

New body structure is to be Aluminum. Frame is to remain steel with aluminum suspension components.

Update:

Diesel is out for the time being for NA sales.

V6EB and 5LV8 still a go for 2014

Here's the biggie!

New body structure is to be Aluminum. Frame is to remain steel with aluminum suspension components.

Interesting if true. Will that new aluminum body actually look like it was designed more recently than 1990?

Where are you getting the information about a 2014 update of the Panthers?

Freind of a friend, (yeah I know). She used to be with Wixom now she's part of STAP (product management?). She's been very accurate up to this point. However, she's a good employee and won't provide pictures of anything.

My other contact, was a collage friend, he retired last year though. He was pretty high up, and was good for info on the competition as well as Ford. Wish he was still there.

Cute, but fullsize cars aren't going to suddenly disappear because of the new CAFE.

Most of the fullsize cars already disappeared due to the last CAFE. The only "fullsize" sedan left is the Panthers. The D3 Taurus, Avalon, Lucerne, DTS, etc. fall into the elusive "large" sedan category. And no I don't wanna know how the EPA goes by the size of the trunk, I go by the overall length of the platform.

Most of the fullsize cars already disappeared due to the last CAFE. The only "fullsize" sedan left is the Panthers. The D3 Taurus, Avalon, Lucerne, DTS, etc. fall into the elusive "large" sedan category. And no I don't wanna know how the EPA goes by the size of the trunk, I go by the overall length of the platform.

CAFE didn't kill the fullsize car. People's individual desire for a more efficient vehicle did. They would have abandoned the guzzling fullsizers of the time if CAFE existed or not. If anything, CAFE made the large cars even more appealing than they would have otherwise been because they were forced to become somewhat more fuel efficient than they had been prior.

And what good does going by the length of the platform do if much of that length is wasted? Interior volume is the only consistent measure. Exclude the trunk and use passenger volume only if you want, but going by the length of the body doesn't give you any indicator of anything except how large of a parking space you need for it.