Folks,

Do you all agree that the Panther will go away without any more upgrades?

I am tempted to take the plunge on a 09 but will be extremely upset if Ford decides to

change the sheet metal or interior in '10 or '11. :reading:

Still hoping, but won't be left Pantherless for the next 10 years.

These "would, could, should" posts are getting old, just like the venerable Panthers themselves. Yes, Ford could update them. But they won't. Yes, Ford should have updated them years ago. But they didn't. Yes, Ford would update them. But they don't see the point anymore.

We can hold out hope for a new RWD sedan sometime down the road, but Ford has made it abundantly clear that their investment in the Panther platform is over. Sad it will die in fleet hell like so many of their other storied nameplates, but that's the reality of it.

These "would, could, should" posts are getting old, just like the venerable Panthers themselves. Yes, Ford could update them. But they won't. Yes, Ford should have updated them years ago. But they didn't. Yes, Ford would update them. But they don't see the point anymore.

We can hold out hope for a new RWD sedan sometime down the road, but Ford has made it abundantly clear that their investment in the Panther platform is over. Sad it will die in fleet hell like so many of their other storied nameplates, but that's the reality of it.

http://www.kansascity.com/115/v-print/story/1181002.html

New lawsuit .......

Wrong answer because you don't like it, or wrong answer because I'm incorrect? If I'm incorrect, by all means, show me where. The Panther simply is not going to keep chugging along forever.

The panther is getting a new skin for 2014 after a years hiatus. Also new will be: V-6 eco-boost, V8 5.0 & 4.4 Diesel (maybe reduced to 3.6). All will feature a 6 speed AT.

Also, the GM and TC will be getting a future Mustang derived IRS. CV PI will continue with SRA.

The panther is getting a new skin for 2014 after a years hiatus. Also new will be: V-6 eco-boost, V8 5.0 & 4.4 Diesel (maybe reduced to 3.6). All will feature a 6 speed AT.

Also, the GM and TC will be getting a future Mustang derived IRS. CV PI will continue with SRA.

That certainly sounds like pie-in-the-sky dreaming at this point unless you have some source we don't know about. I hope you're right though. That does sound like a tantalizing combination. And I sure hope if they go through all of that trouble that they also change the name. "Crown Victoria" and "Grand Marquis" just sound flat out silly in today's marketplace. My votes would go to "Interceptor" and "Marauder".

Edited by NickF1011

That certainly sounds like pie-in-the-sky dreaming at this point unless you have some source we don't know about. I hope you're right though. That does sound like a tantalizing combination. And I sure hope if they go through all of that trouble that they also change the name. "Crown Victoria" and "Grand Marquis" just sound flat out silly in today's marketplace. My votes would go to "Interceptor" and "Marauder".

While this is the first I've heard of it and I seem to think it would be wishful thinking, I'd really consider the 4.4 Diesel with a V-6 for our fleet. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Even if true, the 4.4 would have to come in at a price close enough to the 16k we pay for the charger to make it attractive.

Wrong answer because you don't like it, or wrong answer because I'm incorrect? If I'm incorrect, by all means, show me where. The Panther simply is not going to keep chugging along forever.

Your incorrect Nick, that's all I'm gonna say.

You've just described the proposed 2014 Falcon platform, most of that power train list

is already in the Falcon /Territory or coming next year. Falcon will go to V6 in 2014.

FoA is pushing on and evolving the Falcon/Territory towards the GRWD ideas they started early last year.

FNA is now able to access parts of the Falcon platform for the Mustang (if or as needed).

While this is the first I've heard of it and I seem to think it would be wishful thinking, I'd really consider the 4.4 Diesel with a V-6 for our fleet. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Even if true, the 4.4 would have to come in at a price close enough to the 16k we pay for the charger to make it attractive.

And by the way, how are the Chargers holding up? My little town has three of them plus an "old" CV and a new EX-P. The CV is on the road a lot as the Chargers seen to be having repeated "issues". Plus now that the thrill of the Hemi has worn off, the lack of visibility is starting to become an issue. And for sure, the head of DPW will not be driving an old Charger when it comes time to replace his retired P-71.

And by the way, how are the Chargers holding up? My little town has three of them plus an "old" CV and a new EX-P. The CV is on the road a lot as the Chargers seen to be having repeated "issues". Plus now that the thrill of the Hemi has worn off, the lack of visibility is starting to become an issue. And for sure, the head of DPW will not be driving an old Charger when it comes time to replace his retired P-71.

And you wonder why Chrysler is in Chapter 11 right?

Since everyone in this country is on some sort of retro-kick. Why not bring back LTD, Park Lane?

In fact... That wouldn't be a bad idea to shape a new Panther like vehicle off the looks from the late 60's cars like those.

The new Mustang looks good, so does the Challenger. Maybe there is some sort of trend evolving... Who knows.

Since everyone in this country is on some sort of retro-kick. Why not bring back LTD, Park Lane?

In fact... That wouldn't be a bad idea to shape a new Panther like vehicle off the looks from the late 60's cars like those.

The new Mustang looks good, so does the Challenger. Maybe there is some sort of trend evolving... Who knows.

Personally, I don't think retro is the way to go with it. It's even starting to grow a little old on the Mustang in my opinion. Give it some throwback styling cues, but make it modern in overall execution. And for goodness sakes, just call it Falcon. It's by far the best of the "old school' names they currently aren't using in North America.