iPod Indexing Times/Length?

iNexxFear

Hi All,

I have posted this to the SYNC and Fusion exclusive forums, but this community seems to be much more responsive and hoping you can help...

I have an iPod Classic, which I am going to be connecting up to my Fusion so that it can index the songs... However with about 9000 songs on it, how long will the index take? Anyone have any estimates or past experience with thier ipod indexing and time to complete?

As I don't want to start it in the morning on the way to work then not have it completed by the time I arrive, and thus not be completed.

So if anyone can help with how this works and a rough estimate of time it would be appreciated.

I have about 7000 songs on my 80GB iPod. If I remember correctly it took about five to seven minutes to index. It wasn't really that bad. It only indexes when you add a new device or modify the songs on the existing device. Otherwise, it plays more or less instantly and doesn't need to index.

For the average iPod (30-80gb) should take 5 to 10 minutes. You can listen to other media while it indexes so it's not like you have to sit there in silence ;)

I have my 8gb iPod Touch full and it took only 2 minutes. And as ackbar said, it only does it once unless there's been a change (add/remove music). Also, make sure you have all your meta fields populated or SYNC will crap out on them. I keep my library clean so it's not an issue for me. But my wife's is another story :P She's always adding songs but not tagging them so it's constantly saying "SYNC was unable to index all files on your device" :D

She's always adding songs but not tagging them so it's constantly saying "SYNC was unable to index all files on your device" :D

Yeah I'm getting this from my ipod and it constantly tries to index occasionally giving me that error... I think I need to narrow some items down or take others off.

But do you guys know if it looks at the "Artist" Or "Album Artists" field of the Meta Data to index them... I have most of my stuff indexed good with the occasional Album Artist not populated.

I'm still trying to get used to this so sync can stop complaining at me... But it will work for a good majority of songs!

Yeah I'm getting this from my ipod and it constantly tries to index occasionally giving me that error... I think I need to narrow some items down or take others off.

But do you guys know if it looks at the "Artist" Or "Album Artists" field of the Meta Data to index them... I have most of my stuff indexed good with the occasional Album Artist not populated.

I'm still trying to get used to this so sync can stop complaining at me... But it will work for a good majority of songs!

I don't think it looks at Album Artist. The meta data it reads is listed in the SYNC manual. I don't have it in front of me right now but this is what I can remember:

Artist

Album

Track

Genre

As long as those are filled in it should sync them fine.

Guess I need to keep looking at my iPod and iTunes config... I found a few artists that weren't correctly labeled but sync is still coming back and telling me it couldn't index all of the songs.

Could the video files contained on my iPod Classic be throwing it off?

Guess I need to keep looking at my iPod and iTunes config... I found a few artists that weren't correctly labeled but sync is still coming back and telling me it couldn't index all of the songs.

Could the video files contained on my iPod Classic be throwing it off?

No, you have too many songs. I don't know what the limit is but I have reached it too and then deleted a bunch of crappy hip hop mix stuff my friend gave me and it was able to index everything.

No, you have too many songs. I don't know what the limit is but I have reached it too and then deleted a bunch of crappy hip hop mix stuff my friend gave me and it was able to index everything.

Out of curiosity... What is your song count on your iPod? I'll keep playing around with my library... But just trying to get a estimate..

Thanks!

Anyone ever run Sync My iTunes off of the SyncMyRide website? Have any luck or horror stories from it?

Damn it!

SYNC is being a DARN pain...

A - I just discovered that through the "Sync My iTunes" utility it doesn't like the "Compilation Flag" and wants to turn them all off! I have compilations identified for sound tracks and such so that I know it all belongs to one another

B - It doesn't seem to like artist that have all upper case names... I.E. ABBA want's to be changed to Abba in both the artist and title name fields.

C - Additional other fields like "I'm OK" want to be changed to "I'm Ok" .... "Rock'n'Roll" to "Rock'n'roll"

The capitalization I can understand due to voice recognition, but I wish there was a way to not do this... Or have it ignore them! And as for the compilation... what does it matter? Why can't it just keep a local copy on there and Sync doesn't talk anything about the compilation metadata tag in the support FAQ's... This sucks!

Time to write to SYNC/Microsoft!

Cause I'm doomed to get this for ever as I refuse to let Sync My iTunes make these stupid changes! I'll manually navigate them or choose to loose out on playing them through my connectivity of the iPod... Why can't they just let the iPod do the indexing and smarts here and play nicely with Apple?

Out of curiosity... What is your song count on your iPod? I'll keep playing around with my library... But just trying to get a estimate..

Thanks!

Its at 2251 for songs and 15.48 gigs. I want to say it had over 4k in songs on it and close to 30 gigs when it would not index everything.

Well whatever. I'm not sure what the size was, but it will announce that it can not index everything when you get to that point. Like "direct access is not available" or something. It happened like 6 months ago on my wifes 08.

Well I'm not getting that, but I am being informed that it can not index all the songs...

Let me ask you this.. Folks.. As I may be able to LIVE without the compilation flag set and remove them for my songs.... (Slight UGHH as I thinkg about this change... But anyways back to my previousl thought)

Does anyone else have an artists like ABBA, TLC or all capital letters on your iPod and are you able to sucessfully index?

I'd hate to change all of my compilation flags and continue to have a problem. :banghead:

Also... One last other question... I have some artists which have "\" in them to seperate artists... Like Santana\Michelle Branch... Are do any of you have these and still able to index? I'm tyring to understand the problem... And like I said it looks like the compilation flag restricts the indexing the most. But I wondered if there was any hopes if I removed them I can have SYNC 100% operational or am I gong to hit a new barrier...

Cause I'm doomed to get this for ever as I refuse to let Sync My iTunes make these stupid changes! I'll manually navigate them or choose to loose out on playing them through my connectivity of the iPod... Why can't they just let the iPod do the indexing and smarts here and play nicely with Apple?

I wouldn't let Sync My iTunes make changes like that either - those changes may not even be the cause of the issue. If I were you, I would go through my music library in iTunes and make sure that all my music had good meta-data information in it. If that didn't fix it, my next step would be to take all the music off the iPod and add it back in gradually, taking note of when it stopped working with Sync so you can narrow down the problem.

I wouldn't let Sync My iTunes make changes like that either - those changes may not even be the cause of the issue. If I were you, I would go through my music library in iTunes and make sure that all my music had good meta-data information in it. If that didn't fix it, my next step would be to take all the music off the iPod and add it back in gradually, taking note of when it stopped working with Sync so you can narrow down the problem.

I'm pretty sure my meta-data is fine, as my music is on a home server at my house and I've got it linked via a couple of PC's... All PC's grab the data correctly and list appropriately in iTunes. Additionally I've never had a problem wtih it on the iPod.

The problem here is that if I do a iPod Reset and load my data back in, it normally takes like 5 hours to reload all the data... And of course that means I would need to uncheck all of my songs and recheck them manually... That's a bigger nuscience then having SYNC yell at me each time, or having all the compilation flags turned off.

What I'm hoping here is that if someone has an iPod without an issue, can they go into one of thier albums (like a sound track) and set this flag to see if SYNC then begins to complain at them?

If not then it could be pure size or metadata issues.... But until confirmed there's no knowing...

The other thing to note is that when I browse my music library on my NAVI screen, I can't find any of the album titles that have the compilation flag set.... So either it is indeed this flag, or its given up before it hit that album.

Again I really appreicate the feedback here... I think we may be on to something as well as getting my SYNC/USB/iPod connectivity working correctly!

So I Click Chatted with a SYNC representative and my worst nightmare is true... All the compilations need to come off and certain capitalizations need to be removed, extra spaces removed (within and at the end of titles) etc...

After 4 hours of editing and re-organizing my music, I think that the SYNC My iTunes application is happy... So the main system in my fusion should be as well right? :ohsnap:

After 4 hours of editing and re-organizing my music, I think that the SYNC My iTunes application is happy... So the main system in my fusion should be as well right? :ohsnap:

It took me days to get though all that crap. You did good in 4 hours. Its easy to keep up, that initial whipping into shape sucks.

So now that the index completes, I have noticed that the voice commands aren't readily availalbe right away... However when they are I've just about reached my destination so I shut the car down...

However I'm noticing that SYNC continues to try to resume indexing at next car run (that's some sample tests as of this morning)... So on my way in today, I took an extra little detour to give the car some time to index and complete it's process.

If it continues to do this, I guess I'll have to wait for the weekend to let it fully complete.... But if not, does anyone know of a neat way to have SYNC save it's process for easy resuming? I've left the iPod connected after I arrived to see what happens when I get back in the car after work... Hopefully we'll get it to stop indexing soon so that I can just use my voice commands quicker each time I connect it..

Further thoughts or ideas to help me with this last process?

So now that the index completes, I have noticed that the voice commands aren't readily availalbe right away... However when they are I've just about reached my destination so I shut the car down...

However I'm noticing that SYNC continues to try to resume indexing at next car run (that's some sample tests as of this morning)... So on my way in today, I took an extra little detour to give the car some time to index and complete it's process.

If it continues to do this, I guess I'll have to wait for the weekend to let it fully complete.... But if not, does anyone know of a neat way to have SYNC save it's process for easy resuming? I've left the iPod connected after I arrived to see what happens when I get back in the car after work... Hopefully we'll get it to stop indexing soon so that I can just use my voice commands quicker each time I connect it..

Further thoughts or ideas to help me with this last process?

Well if you are not changing whats on the Ipod and simply plugging and unplugging it, plug it in before you start the car and it won't index again. If anything has changed it will.

I'm not an Ipod fan for Sync in the car. I have USB hard drives in my wifes and mine and sync them to the computer occasionally or when I get new music. There is so much action on and off the Ipod that its going to index all the fricken time and between the index and the making voice commands it takes a long time, as you are lamenting about.

Well if you are not changing whats on the Ipod and simply plugging and unplugging it, plug it in before you start the car and it won't index again. If anything has changed it will.

I'm not an Ipod fan for Sync in the car. I have USB hard drives in my wifes and mine and sync them to the computer occasionally or when I get new music. There is so much action on and off the Ipod that its going to index all the fricken time and between the index and the making voice commands it takes a long time, as you are lamenting about.

Slightly off topic but what type and how big of a USB external drive are you using and I'm assuming it is working ok or you wouln't be using it. Do you have it in your console and have you experienced any heat issues from the drive since they can generate a lot of heat?

Slightly off topic but what type and how big of a USB external drive are you using and I'm assuming it is working ok or you wouln't be using it. Do you have it in your console and have you experienced any heat issues from the drive since they can generate a lot of heat?

Like a 160 gig SimpleTech and 160gig Seagate. The SimpleTech is the older one, never an issue. Both are in the console and generate a little heat but nothing detrimental. I always think about how hot my XBox gets and that hard drive is OK, these don't even get remotely that hot.

Just remember you have to force them to format FAT32 and you need a little program to do it. Search FAT32 Formatter or something like that. Windows will only do 32gigs and obviously the drives are bigger than that.