FFH: Lots of interesting info in the owner's guide

mirak

I've only recently ordered my FFH, but I'm already starting through the owner's guide, and I've come across lots of interesting information. For example:

Page 5: Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Page 8: Your fuel economy should improve throughout your hybrid’s break-in period.

Page 9: The high voltage battery is electrically isolated from the rest of the vehicle when the key is OFF. When the key is turned ON, high voltage contactors inside the battery are closed to make the electricity available to the motor/generator and enable the vehicle to drive. The clicks are the sound of these contactors as they close and open during start up and shut down.

Page 10: Running out of gas is not recommended. However, you may be able to go about one mile, driving at 30 mph (48 km/h), if the battery has a normal state of charge.

Page 11: Your hybrid vehicle can use E10 (10% ethanol, 90% gasoline) fuel, but you may notice slightly reduced fuel economy because ethanol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline. Your hybrid vehicle is not designed to use E85 (85% ethanol).

Edited by mirak

I've only recently ordered my FFH, but I'm already starting through the owner's guide, and I've come across lots of interesting information. For example:

Page 5: Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

Page 8: Your fuel economy should improve throughout your hybrid’s break-in period.

Page 9: The high voltage battery is electrically isolated from the rest of the vehicle when the key is OFF. When the key is turned ON, high voltage contactors inside the battery are closed to make the electricity available to the motor/generator and enable the vehicle to drive. The clicks are the sound of these contactors as they close and open during start up and shut down.

Page 10: Running out of gas is not recommended. However, you may be able to go about one mile, driving at 30 mph (48 km/h), if the battery has a normal state of charge.

Page 11: Your hybrid vehicle can use E10 (10% ethanol, 90% gasoline) fuel, but you may notice slightly reduced fuel economy because ethanol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline. Your hybrid vehicle is not designed to use E85 (85% ethanol).

Last week, I took possession of the hybrid. You're wise to prepare yourself ahead of time, as there's a lot of technology involved. Unfortunately, gas without 10% ethanol is getting nearly impossible to find around here, anymore. Last month, my Exxon stopped selling 100% gas. Lucky for us, that we can travel much farther now without needing to put liquid-corn into the tank, :yahoo:

Enjoy your new ride!

Here's something interesting. I've always heard "change your oil every 3,000 miles" - but the FFH's maintance plan specifically calls for oil changes just every 10,000 miles! That seems odd to me. Can anyone explain? Is it really a good idea to wait 10,000 miles between changes?

Here's something interesting. I've always heard "change your oil every 3,000 miles" - but the FFH's maintance plan specifically calls for oil changes just every 10,000 miles! That seems odd to me. Can anyone explain? Is it really a good idea to wait 10,000 miles between changes?

Hey Mirak,

I'm not a FFH owner but on the regular Fusion Sport they recommend 5,000 miles per oil change... Additionally you need to remember that on a hybrid you're running on battery power alot and the engine kicks in to charge the battery and then stops as needed... So you're not running on engine alot, and therefore the oil life lasts longer than that of a conventional car engine.

That sounds about right based on the engine running hours it will produce over the 10,000 miles they recommend!

However maybe others can help explain things that I might have wrong here!

Hi mirak. :D If the Hybrid Maintenance schedule says 10,000 miles between oil changes for normal service (I am taking your word for it), then it is safe to change at 10,000 miles.

First of all, recommended "Normal Service" oil change intervals for Ford (and most other) passenger vehicles has not been 3,000 miles for some years now, due to improved engine technology and oil quality. It has been 5,000 miles for some time, and was recently raised to 7,500 miles for most Ford passenger vehicles. There will also be a "Special Operating Conditions" schedule recommendation for cars used in certain heavier duty types of environments. If you wish, you can shorten up your oil change interval and use that maintenance schedule. I am not sure what that is for the Hybrids (it is 5,000 miles for non-Hybrid Fusions). Check your Maintenance Schedule Guide for further information concerning that schedule.

Also, as iNexx stated, keep in mind that one reason the Hybrid can have longer 10,000 mile OCI as opposed to the 7,500 mile non-Hybrid interval is due to the fact that the internal combustion engine will not be running a good amount of the time while the electrics have kicked in. Less wear and tear on the engine and oil, so a longer oil change interval is possible.

Plus, when the electrics will be running the most (low speed, stop and go, etc) is also when most engine/oil wear and tear takes place.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hey Mirak,

I'm not a FFH owner but on the regular Fusion Sport they recommend 5,000 miles per oil change... Additionally you need to remember that on a hybrid you're running on battery power alot and the engine kicks in to charge the battery and then stops as needed... So you're not running on engine alot, and therefore the oil life lasts longer than that of a conventional car engine.

That sounds about right based on the engine running hours it will produce over the 10,000 miles they recommend!

However maybe others can help explain things that I might have wrong here!

Hi iNexx. :D Just as an FYI: The recommended "Normal Service" oil change interval for the Fusion Sport and all Fusion models since the 2008 model year (other than the 2010 Hybrid), is 7,500 miles.

The recommended oil change interval for "Special Operating Conditions" is 5,000 miles. That would be vehicles used for towing and other "Special" driving conditions as outlined in the Maintenance Schedule Guide.

Of course, if someone wishes to change earlier than 7,500 miles (or 5,000), that is certainly up to them.

Just want to clear up any confusion for others.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi iNexx. :D Just as an FYI: The recommended "Normal Service" oil change interval for the Fusion Sport and all Fusion models since the 2008 model year (other than the 2010 Hybrid), is 7,500 miles.

The recommended oil change interval for "Special Operating Conditions" is 5,000 miles. That would be vehicles used for towing and other "Special" driving conditions as outlined in the Maintenance Schedule Guide.

Of course, if someone wishes to change earlier than 7,500 miles (or 5,000), that is certainly up to them.

Just want to clear up any confusion for others.

Thanks for the correction bbf2530, I was guessing at the milage since I am not next to my vehicle's service guide at the moment... And just trying to help convey a explination in my above message to Mirak...

Thanks for ensuring posts here are accurate! cheers...