2008 left over

i wanted to introduce myself to you guys as well as get some opinions. ill be here a lot to help out as best i can and gather information as soon as i have som experience with the truck. im in the process of negotiating a new 2008 edge from a dealer a little out of my area, but close enough to drive the distance for the right deal. heres the window sticker.

EDGE

2008 EDGE FWD-LMTD

3.5L V6 ENGINE

AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE TRANS

Exterior

BLACK CLEARCOAT

Interior

CHARCOAL BLACK

MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $31,075

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

BLACK CLEARCOAT

BLACK LEATHER

.18" WHEELS W/CHRM APPEARANCE

.3.5L V6 ENGINE

.AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE TRANS

.P245/60R18 BSW TIRES

CALIFORNIA/GREEN STATES EMISS

PANORAMIC VISTA ROOF $1,595

NAVIGATION SYSTEM-DVD $1,995

POWER LIFTGATE $490

SIRIUS SAT RADIO W/6 MOS SVC $195

AUTODIM RRVW MIRR W/MICROPHONE

FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $35,350

DESTINATION & DELIVERY $755

TOTAL MSRP $36,105

The dealer offered invoice right off the bat, although i havent been there to request a copy of the actual invoice. they priced it at 33950 before taxes and rebates (4000 from ford) all together with tax and tag is 32,933.

from my standpoint im thinking i can do better, considering invoice these days isnt exactly special and this truck is 2 years old (new or not, no dealer is gunna care two years from now that i bought it new as a left over) from the research ive done ive found that the trade in, private party and dealer prices are 24541, 27206, and 29622 respectively. am i crazy to think i shouldnt lose 9500 the second i drive off the lot? The invoice on the 2009s ive looked at are pretty much the same and theyre offering 3000 rebates on those.

In your opinions, what should i ask for? Im thinking 29000 before rebates is reasonable.

From looking at the invoice for my 09, I would say their quote of $33,950 for invoice is pretty close. Minus the grand or so Ford is paying them in holdback, that is about as low as they are going to want to go -- the dealer would be taking a huge loss to sell you that vehicle for $29,000. You really can't compare the prices for used vehicles with a new one, even if it is 2 years old. (Also, remember that the dealer is not obligated to show you the invoice unless you are A/Z or X plan and, if you are, we probably aren't having this conversation about negotiating price.)

What you do may depend on how long you plan on keeping it. If you plan on keeping it for several years, and you like the way it is equipped, I would see what you can negotiate out of them. I would imagine they are paying financing every month it sits there but they still aren't going to give it away. I believe the Edge is due for a freshening in 2011 or so. Since there are virtually no changes from 2008 to 09, the difference in value between the two models will not be that great in 5 or 6 years.

On the other hand, if you plan on keeping it for just a few years, the 2008 may not be such a good idea. As you said, you are going to take a huge hit in depreciation the second you drive off the lot. Regardless, as I am sure you know, the full warranty takes effect the day you take delivery so you will still be covered and there are no changes to warranty coverage (that I know of) for 2009 models.

Good luck.

i wanted to introduce myself to you guys as well as get some opinions. ill be here a lot to help out as best i can and gather information as soon as i have som experience with the truck. im in the process of negotiating a new 2008 edge from a dealer a little out of my area, but close enough to drive the distance for the right deal. heres the window sticker.

EDGE

2008 EDGE FWD-LMTD

3.5L V6 ENGINE

AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE TRANS

Exterior

BLACK CLEARCOAT

Interior

CHARCOAL BLACK

MSRP

STANDARD VEHICLE PRICE $31,075

Optional Equipment

2008 MODEL YEAR

BLACK CLEARCOAT

BLACK LEATHER

.18" WHEELS W/CHRM APPEARANCE

.3.5L V6 ENGINE

.AUTOMATIC OVERDRIVE TRANS

.P245/60R18 BSW TIRES

CALIFORNIA/GREEN STATES EMISS

PANORAMIC VISTA ROOF $1,595

NAVIGATION SYSTEM-DVD $1,995

POWER LIFTGATE $490

SIRIUS SAT RADIO W/6 MOS SVC $195

AUTODIM RRVW MIRR W/MICROPHONE

FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

TOTAL VEHICLE & OPTIONS $35,350

DESTINATION & DELIVERY $755

TOTAL MSRP $36,105

The dealer offered invoice right off the bat, although i havent been there to request a copy of the actual invoice. they priced it at 33950 before taxes and rebates (4000 from ford) all together with tax and tag is 32,933.

from my standpoint im thinking i can do better, considering invoice these days isnt exactly special and this truck is 2 years old (new or not, no dealer is gunna care two years from now that i bought it new as a left over) from the research ive done ive found that the trade in, private party and dealer prices are 24541, 27206, and 29622 respectively. am i crazy to think i shouldnt lose 9500 the second i drive off the lot? The invoice on the 2009s ive looked at are pretty much the same and theyre offering 3000 rebates on those.

In your opinions, what should i ask for? Im thinking 29000 before rebates is reasonable.

• 4 weeks later...

+1 especially since it's black, unless they kept it in a bubble or in the showroom that paint has taken a beating from all the dealer "washes." I would not spend 30 large on a car that's been sitting that long even if it does have a full warranty. Not to mention god knows what's going on underneath the hood, I would be worried about dry rotted gaskets, hoses, belts, and tires etc. Good Luck with your decision though!

+1 especially since it's black, unless they kept it in a bubble or in the showroom that paint has taken a beating from all the dealer "washes." I would not spend 30 large on a car that's been sitting that long even if it does have a full warranty. Not to mention god knows what's going on underneath the hood, I would be worried about dry rotted gaskets, hoses, belts, and tires etc. Good Luck with your decision though!

Wouldn't bother me a bit. In Jan 1998, I bought a 1997 Mustang Cobra that was quite a leftover (I remember seeing it there for 6 months). Never had any problems with it mechanically that could have been attributed to the time sitting on the lot. It did have a few other issues which were common for the car.

As long as you get a decent price, don't worry about it. If nothing else you should get close to the USED value for the car...

Wouldn't bother me a bit. In Jan 1998, I bought a 1997 Mustang Cobra that was quite a leftover (I remember seeing it there for 6 months). Never had any problems with it mechanically that could have been attributed to the time sitting on the lot. It did have a few other issues which were common for the car.

As long as you get a decent price, don't worry about it. If nothing else you should get close to the USED value for the car...

Curious to see how you made out. I was in this exact situation w/ an 08 CX7 a month ago. I didn't get the car, or any car for that matter but it seemed like they weren't coming down enough to make it worth the purchase but I couldn't help but wonder why they wouldn't want to move it aggressively.