Weak local Representation

sajabio

I work at KCAP. I see my committeperson approx. once a month, sometimes every 2 months. When i have emergency issues , it takes a minimum of 3 days to get a response if i even get a one. I have tried to be a good soldier and not ask for help unless it is safety issue or a total disregard of the contract. Im in a situation now that i feel is a total disregard of my my safety as well as anyone who comes remotely close to my work area. After 3 days of blowing up my committepersons phone , he finally showed up to see what the problem was, at which point his response was man this is real unsafe , You should have told me it was this bad ( like its somehow my fault that it took him 3 days to come check it out). I waited 24 hours and nothing was done. So i called the union safety rep. for 3 days and suprise suprise no answer. So i left message for bargaining committee yesterday. By the end of last nites shift i have had no response. Can someone give me any suggestions. Im truely to the point where i dont give a shit anymore and i give up. And hate that its got to this point HEEEELLLLPPPP !!!!

I work at KCAP. I see my committeperson approx. once a month, sometimes every 2 months. When i have emergency issues , it takes a minimum of 3 days to get a response if i even get a one. I have tried to be a good soldier and not ask for help unless it is safety issue or a total disregard of the contract. Im in a situation now that i feel is a total disregard of my my safety as well as anyone who comes remotely close to my work area. After 3 days of blowing up my committepersons phone , he finally showed up to see what the problem was, at which point his response was man this is real unsafe , You should have told me it was this bad ( like its somehow my fault that it took him 3 days to come check it out). I waited 24 hours and nothing was done. So i called the union safety rep. for 3 days and suprise suprise no answer. So i left message for bargaining committee yesterday. By the end of last nites shift i have had no response. Can someone give me any suggestions. Im truely to the point where i dont give a shit anymore and i give up. And hate that its got to this point HEEEELLLLPPPP !!!!

If you have a safety issue, call your safety dept.

What exactly is it that is unsafe?

As far as weak representation goes, you are the union. If you feel you could do a better job, by all means run for the position.

As far as weak representation goes, you are the union. If you feel you could do a better job, by all means run for the position.

You shouldn't have to run for any position the people we elect should do their job!!!!

i have called safety dept, company and union, company to buisy checking drivers licenses. union rep. wont answer phone, and when i stop by, theres no one home. I work the rail dock and company is bringing in a bunch of shit they dont have room for and stacking it 6 foot higher than the rail car, on the apron so i have blind spots in all directions. As far as running for position , health and Safety are appointed positions.

i have called safety dept, company and union, company to buisy checking drivers licenses. union rep. wont answer phone, and when i stop by, theres no one home. I work the rail dock and company is bringing in a bunch of shit they dont have room for and stacking it 6 foot higher than the rail car, on the apron so i have blind spots in all directions. As far as running for position , health and Safety are appointed positions.

any other ground breaking ideas ?

any other ground breaking ideas ?

If you wanna talk about poor representation,talk to someone at local2000.We have a chairman who never shows up on nites and who is only seen on days {if your lucky}when he is coming into the plant or when he is leaving the plant.We are going thru a line speed reduction and have just laid off about 170 people and he couldn't even come on the floor to talk to us.

If you wanna talk about poor representation,talk to someone at local2000.We have a chairman who never shows up on nites and who is only seen on days {if your lucky}when he is coming into the plant or when he is leaving the plant.We are going thru a line speed reduction and have just laid off about 170 people and he couldn't even come on the floor to talk to us.

I feeel your pain, i guess all we can do is hang on for the ride. hang in there

Here at 228 we recently elected a new Plant Chair.

Next year we are going to replace a few more reps!

Until you're able to replace the mofo's give them an ear full every chance you get.

Bring what's done in the dark to the light. And at election time you will achieve victory like we have here. Don't stop.

I work on the lcl and when they do that kind of thing it just makes me work even slower :) Just follow all their safety rules and they can't do anything to you. Give those rail cars a good, thorough safety inspection before you even think about opening up the doors. Especially, if they have hot parts in them. Wouldn't want to endanger yourself or others rushing to get them to the line.

Your post makes me think your on nites. Tharp (uaw safety 1407)has been out of town, I had a small issue last week and did not get response til Monday (how I found out he was gone) I have had trouble getting anyone to pick up 1539 in the committee room. Called it last week and left it ringing when we went to break, it was still ringing when the line started back up. I have been told they got new phones, but have not received any new number. Bargaining is 1193 and I get better luck getting someone in there. Skippy does have a large district, Hi-lo's on both sides of house + paint . You have the right to refuse if you FEEL your safety is in peril. Skippy can't make that choice for you. You are responsible for your own safety. You should be ok in labor even if you are safe, as the benchmark is your impression of being put in danger. I have refused to do a job once for safety and the boss did not bat an eye, it was Delmar, which got him some points in my book. No trip to labor, I got a different assignment and he got the issue handled without me being involved. Man whatever you do, do it safely. Don't take a chance working in a area that could get you or someone else squished. Never seen one of those injury report list that did not have at least one hi-lo incident.

-boom shanka

Its your right its your life..Don't work unsafely..Do you have weekly team meetings? In the last few years I have noticed our plant getting lax on a lot of safety issues..I guess ford can only be as safe as we can afford to be..It seems right now safety is something they are letting slide a little. Don't give up..keep making noise till someone listens..good luck ..

I feel for you brother, I have been going thru the same thing for months. I probably work close to you and know who you are; and I know the problem that you are talking about, it is very F* UP. Lucky being on day shift my Committeeman shows up, I have heard from several people on night that your Committeeman is always a NO SHOW pretty boy. You gotta hang in there brother and give it time bc it will get better just give it some time. I have been at KCAP for over twenty five years and I have seen a lot of changes within the company and the union. The main problem is that a lot of our current union reps (like your committeman) arent as dedicated as they use to be. Part of being a good committeman is going around and talking to your people and they just dont do that anymore besides election time; it is very sad to see that is how it has become. What they dont realize is the give the company more control/power by doing so. If they would come around more the F*UP shit wouldnt happen like what is going on with you. As far as the safety problems you are having document everything. Carry a notebook around and a daily basis write down and sketch/take pic with your phone of how F*UP the area is. Do this for a few weeks then submitt your finding to the Health and Safety Dept, commiteman, barg., Foreman and Superintendent and Laborville. If this wont get all of thier attention, then you tried brother and F*IT!!!

-----HANG IN THERE BROTHER, IM WITH YOU---- RIDE4LIFKC

Here at 228 we recently elected a new Plant Chair.

Next year we are going to replace a few more reps!

Until you're able to replace the mofo's give them an ear full every chance you get.

Bring what's done in the dark to the light. And at election time you will achieve victory like we have here. Don't stop.

I totally agree with this response. If they are not representing you like they should, vote them out.

I have a great committeman- but I've worked at KCAP long enough to know that I'm one of the fortunate ones.

Go across the street and throw a fit. I did it and it worked- they are paid to represent YOU, not to sit in the office because the plant is too hot. Go to the hall first thing in the AM- they are all there. They leave at noon.

I have one answer....

In regards to safety issues where eminent danger exists....

The by the book thing to do is to FIRST, make your supervisor aware that you're not refusing work....

and say that you feel that the job is not safe to run in the condition that it's in....

Then you respectfully request another job assignment....

You'd better be ready to dig your heels in and fight....

Before you take this action, it's best to talk to your brothers and sisters around you who you can trust and also the people who the supervisor is most likely to go to, if the supervisor decides to reassign you prior to trying to write you up or call the committee person.....

Make sure your brothers and sisters will also ask to be reassigned.....

If no one in the area or dept. will operate the job in it's unsafe condition...

They'll have to fix it....

You'd better be ready to take a stand and fight...

Don't try to do it alone.... Get your brothers and sisters behind you...

STAND TOGETHER....

You'll force the change with SOLIDARITY....

Solidarity

I have one answer....

In regards to safety issues where eminent danger exists....

The by the book thing to do is to FIRST, make your supervisor aware that you're not refusing work....

and say that you feel that the job is not safe to run in the condition that it's in....

Then you respectfully request another job assignment....

You'd better be ready to dig your heels in and fight....

Before you take this action, it's best to talk to your brothers and sisters around you who you can trust and also the people who the supervisor is most likely to go to, if the supervisor decides to reassign you prior to trying to write you up or call the committee person.....

Make sure your brothers and sisters will also ask to be reassigned.....

If no one in the area or dept. will operate the job in it's unsafe condition...

They'll have to fix it....

You'd better be ready to take a stand and fight...

Don't try to do it alone.... Get your brothers and sisters behind you...

STAND TOGETHER....

You'll force the change with SOLIDARITY....

Solidarity

Asolutley, That is the Sterling way....key ingredient is your brothers and sisters standing up for you when you take that stand.

Well explained Unionman..

I work at Romeo and I didn't even know we had a union. With the representation we get it is like having two company's in the plant. One pays you and you pay the other.

I work at Romeo and I didn't even know we had a union. With the representation we get it is like having two company's in the plant. One pays you and you pay the other.

if you work nites at kcap an cant get ahold of one call the 54 thats where they congerate at