2010 Door Question

lost1

I was washing my SEL the other day and I noticed that the bottom edge of all 4 doors are not creased all the way closed like the side edges of the doors. Can anybody check their cars to see if they are the same. I worry that this might cause a future rust issue.

This is not an error but rather a superior design. The intention is to allow for the bottom seam to air out or flushed out with the rain or washing. A pinched seam will collect the moisture or salt and s trapped in between the tight seam and will promote rust as it cannot air our or flush out.

I was washing my SEL the other day and I noticed that the bottom edge of all 4 doors are not creased all the way closed like the side edges of the doors. Can anybody check their cars to see if they are the same. I worry that this might cause a future rust issue.

I have the same on my Fusion and Escape, put some rustproofing oil in that seam once a year and it will never rust.

I have the same on my Fusion and Escape, put some rustproofing oil in that seam once a year and it will never rust.

What's rustproofing oil and where do you get it? Do you have a brand name, is it just conventional all purpose oil placed in the seam with the excess wiped off or can you just use blinker oil?

Edited by transitman

What's rustproofing oil and where do you get it? Do you have a brand name, is it just conventional all purpose oil placed in the seam with the excess wiped off or can you just use blinker oil?

In northern climates like Canada, we refer to "rustproofing oil" really as rustproofing compounds. There are several types out there offered. For many of us, we go to specific chains like Krown, Houghton, Ziebart, etc. There are some DIY ones, but I'm not sure how well they do.