IIHS 2010 "Top Safety Pick" Awards

If it's an easy fix (strengthening the Fusion roof), I hope Ford makes it happen.

If was easy, it would have been done for the 2010MY.

Don't expect any structural changes for Fusion until they drop the current platform and it becomes a Mondeao in everything except name.

I hear mixed report of who is in charge of the next Mondeao (Dearborn or EU), but I certainly hope that are watching these tests !

Why wasn't the Flex tested? Is Ford simply concentrating efforts on Taurus?

IIHS is not "mandatory" and, I believe, that IIHS selects the models themselves because IIHS pays for all of it ! Consequently, not every model may be tested, especially the first year of a new test.

If they skip a model one year, they try to pick it up the next. It took them several years to build up the database on head restraints (whiplash), even though that test is relatively inexpensive. (Total vehicle not required. The driver seat is mounted on a sled which is accelerated.)

Per IIHS:

“Honda and Ford would have to make only minor changes to achieve good ratings for roof strength, as the Accord and Fusion just missed the mark,” says IIHS president Adrian Lund.

Apparently, it's not that complicated. Do we know for a fact that it isn't an easy fix?

IIHS is not "mandatory" and, I believe, that IIHS selects the models themselves because IIHS pays for all of it ! Consequently, not every model may be tested, especially the first year of a new test.

The IIHS will always run a test if the automaker pays for it. Many of the new roof tests -- including the Taurus and Volvos -- were paid for; the IIHS only ran its own tests of subcompact cars, midsize cars, and small SUVs.

Don't expect any structural changes for Fusion until they drop the current platform and it becomes a Mondeao in everything except name.

I hear mixed report of who is in charge of the next Mondeao (Dearborn or EU), but I certainly hope that are watching these tests !

They added strength to the floor in January 2007 because of the test ratings. I don't see what's to stop them from doing it again for the roof. What's good for the bottom is good for the top. :)

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=756

Edited by move4ward