Mariner Hybrid Long Term Mileage

rlawson4

I picked up my wife's new 2010 Mariner Hybrid. I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. On the Fusion, when you turn off the car, it provides a lifetime mileage reading. Even if you reset the milage on every fill up, the car has a separate reading of long term mileage. Does the Mariner Hybrid have this feature? Thanks.

Richard

I picked up my wife's new 2010 Mariner Hybrid. I have a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. On the Fusion, when you turn off the car, it provides a lifetime mileage reading. Even if you reset the milage on every fill up, the car has a separate reading of long term mileage. Does the Mariner Hybrid have this feature? Thanks.

Richard

If you have the vehicle already and the owner's manual - why are you asking us?

I have the vehicle. The displays are different than the Fusion Hybrid. On the Fusion it simply tells you the lifetime mileage when you turn off the car. I like that because I can reset the mileage with each flllup without desturbimg the lifetime average.

Edited by rlawson4

I have the vehicle. The displays are different than the Fusion Hybrid. On the Fusion it simply tells you the lifetime mileage when you turn off the car. I like that because I can reset the mileage with each flllup without desturbimg the lifetime average.

My '09 FEH does not have a lifetime MPG and I don't think the '10 FEH has it either. Resetting the tank average in my '09 ends up to be 4% high after a average fill and throughout the tank. I keep a gas log at http://www.cleanmpg.com/ with a personal log and record all my readings at every fill since it rolled down the assembly line in KC. This is the only true way possible to get a MPG average and I certainly would not rely on your FFH or FEH OEM lifetime, message center, smartgauge or Nav Sys until you compare them to actual gas pumped over at least 10 full tanks. The quality of gas effects the electronic MPG gauges as well as tire wear. You have a lifetime OD that you must rely on because the bottom line is that is the mileage everyone goes by.

If you sincerely want to know your lifetime MPG average you must add the amount of gas you pump at each Fill and divide your lifetime OD reading by that running number of gallons of gas pumped. For instance, my lifetime OD is logged at every fill and the total amount of gas at that point is divided by that mileage at each Fill. I compare the readings of all my gauges before I reset them at fill-up because every fill-up will be a little high or low compared to the size of the tank. The gauges for the most part calculate the gas used consistently with the math their programmed to use. Converting metric to standard is also an area that leaves room why gauges are not always the same. They all can't round off exactly the same unless they have the exact math programming and use the same sensors.

Use whatever gauges you want but lifetime MPG is what you add into the tank divided by your lifetime OD reading.

My '09 FEH does not have a lifetime MPG and I don't think the '10 FEH has it either. Resetting the tank average in my '09 ends up to be 4% high after a average fill and throughout the tank. I keep a gas log at http://www.cleanmpg.com/ with a personal log and record all my readings at every fill since it rolled down the assembly line in KC. This is the only true way possible to get a MPG average and I certainly would not rely on your FFH or FEH OEM lifetime, message center, smartgauge or Nav Sys until you compare them to actual gas pumped over at least 10 full tanks. The quality of gas effects the electronic MPG gauges as well as tire wear. You have a lifetime OD that you must rely on because the bottom line is that is the mileage everyone goes by.

If you sincerely want to know your lifetime MPG average you must add the amount of gas you pump at each Fill and divide your lifetime OD reading by that running number of gallons of gas pumped. For instance, my lifetime OD is logged at every fill and the total amount of gas at that point is divided by that mileage at each Fill. I compare the readings of all my gauges before I reset them at fill-up because every fill-up will be a little high or low compared to the size of the tank. The gauges for the most part calculate the gas used consistently with the math their programmed to use. Converting metric to standard is also an area that leaves room why gauges are not always the same. They all can't round off exactly the same unless they have the exact math programming and use the same sensors.

Use whatever gauges you want but lifetime MPG is what you add into the tank divided by your lifetime OD reading.

Thanks. I usually do the math but have liked a reading as well. I find that the mileage on the Fusion is over-estimated by .5 MPG

• 3 weeks later...
So I have read the manual cover to cover and feel satisfied that a long term mileage reading is not independently given.

I have an 09 MMH, and also have read the manual. I haven't seen any reference to this in either the vehicle manual or the Sync manual. Reading about it, I wish it was available.