needed mustang option revisited...

ford4v429

just saw pics of the 5.0 going in soon- looks pretty sweet, nice work :)

HOWEVER nothing corrodes faster than magnesium or aluminum in the raw, why not add a few hundred buck option for 'underbody appearance package' and offer some powdercoated valvecovers and a painted block/tranny case- wouldnt worry about things like scratching during assembly, its not a body part- but having a motor that dont turn all white, and a rear axle that wont leave rust stains on the driveway would be awesome.

I'm sure the blocks could be painted before machining without much greif(or cost) involved, and would sure make the popping of the hood less embarassing. the rear axle simply needs painted on everything- theres saving money, then theres simply being too cheap. painting the axles will cost more than the blocks I'm sure due to needing some extra cleaning(blocks gotta be cleaned after casting anyway), but would still be nice- even if it cost buyers extra.

wonder if the FR catalog could offer up a bolt-in 5.0 with harness/pcm for the million or so of the 05-09s out there? think there would e a market for that too at a higher per unit profit than on the whole car...

Aluminum corrosion? WTF?

it gets white/pitted looking. sheetmetal is worse- the entire underside of my 06 hood and about a inch up on the front/top blistered all up- the only part of the car I didnt seal up as it was aluminum, and it corroded all to heck. funny thing was I was at the dealer to get it looked at- the camera they use to digitally send pics direct to ford was broken, was gonna take it back the next week- instead, I dinged up the frontend that week, including scratching the hood near where it blistered, so much for that...instead of messing with it got a 'glass hood/shaker on it now.

Magnesium valvecovers get a black/speckled look- not nearly as ugly as the aluminum, but still not pretty. A friend has a KenneBell blower on his 05, first time he showed it to me- yuck. the blower is nice/painted, but the intake/motor look like crap. When I brought the 09 home I sprayed wd40 on the block and any bare aluminum to keep it looking new, still looks good, but if it ever gets driven guarantee it will be ugly in a month. cars that go out in the salt(our mustangs dont) really get the white/pitted look to the block/tranny. my wifes avalanche motor looks horrible, has looked that way since the first winter.

Edited by ford4v429

• 2 years later...

Just saw the 13 has a painted axle-great!

One other aluminum corrosion comment-mustang hoods are failing miserably, go over to themustangsource.com forums in the warranty/service tab on the s197s... Ford REALLY needs to get a handle on this, there's some 11-12s on there too. Look at hyundais hem finishing- maybe it seals in water, maybe not, but it sure looks good for a few years at least...

Take a quick look here-it's too common:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&redir_esc=&client=ms-android-verizon&source=android-launcher-widget&v=133247963&qsubts=1347463588079&action=devloc&q=ford+alum+hood+corrosion&v=133247963

Here's a link to pic of my UNDRIVEN 2009 (4 miles on the clock-washed a couple times, other than that never wet even, sitting inside under a Shelby cover), it's got the start already too... Looks like seam sealer, but no, if you press on it with a thumbnail, it's hollow blisters, same as my 06 did...

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f739/corrosion-hood-491504/index4/#post6176627

I dont buy the iron contamination either- it looks to me like the top panel was sheared, not deburred, and the sharp edge got crimped onto the stiffener/ underside, you can't paint the edge of a razor and expect it to hold up...it's a process issue IMO, but not "iron contamination"... Even galvanic corrosion needs oxygen, it simply is not sealed because it's too sharp- just a opinion... In any event it's giving ford a black eye, who wants a 3~5 yr old car with blistering paint?

Edited by ford4v429