Questions About Ordering 2010 Expedition

GlennSullivan

Hi

I'm a newbie here looking for some detailed information on the 2010 Expedition, which I'm thinking about ordering. I've been looking through the order guide and the "build it" online tool and wonder about the following.

It appears you cannot order built in navigation without getting second seat DVD player, is that true?

It appears you cannot get limited slip differential on Expedition 4X4, is this also true?

Do the second row seats fold flat to the floor? I've see some pictures indicating they do and then seen others where they appear to stick up somewhat.

Thanks

Edited by GlennSullivan

Hi

I'm a newbie here looking for some detailed information on the 2010 Expedition, which I'm thinking about ordering. I've been looking through the order guide and the "build it" online tool and wonder about the following.

It appears you cannot order built in navigation without getting second seat DVD player, is that true?

It appears you cannot get limited slip differential on Expedition 4X4, is this also true?

Do the second row seats fold flat to the floor? I've see some pictures indicating they do and then seen others where they appear to stick up somewhat.

Thanks

Correct... Navigation System requires the Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System.

Correct... Limited Slip Axle is available only with the Limo package.

From what I can tell... only the 3rd Row Seat is Fold/Flat.

Correct... Navigation System requires the Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System.

Correct... Limited Slip Axle is available only with the Limo package.

From what I can tell... only the 3rd Row Seat is Fold/Flat.

Thanks for the information

So I guess the Expedition has gone completely to the soccer mom side of things and us people who want to use them for "utility" purposes (as opposed to carrying kids around) are out in the cold.

Order it without, have the dealer install it seperatley. I don't know why Ford is forcing people to do this. Not good.

Ford seems to only want the Soccor Mom with Kids SUV Business. They are taking the "U" out of SUV

No Limited Slip Available

Rear Independent Suspension

Non-Fold-Flat Second Row Seats

Light / Soft Springs

Crazy option packages preventing people from ordering the vehicle they way they want.

The last Expedition I had was 1999 and it was a true utility vehicle with truck chassis, limited slip, fold flat seats, etc.

Up until 2006, I only owned Ford SUVs (Explorer + Expedition + Excursion). It is this kind of Soccor Momification that pushed me to a Tahoe then.

I'm trying to buy a Ford SUV on this next purchase, but the Momification seems to have gotten worse, maybe making it impossible for me.

FWIW, I ordered a 2009 EL LTD in Feb and finally got it in July. I too found it strange that you couldn't get the factory nav w/o the rear DVD, and was initially concerned about the lack of LSD. I came out of an 01 EB, and do use my Expedition for hauling.

The seats do fold pretty flat; there is a slight angle to the second row but it's not a showstopper. I had a chance to monkey around in the snow a few weeks ago, and I didn't miss the LSD when in 4x4. Being an EL, it's a massive SUV, but the ride is very stable. I wouldn't call the suspension soft, but it is very smooth. While I was awaiting delivery, I drove a Sub for comparison and walked away shaking my head.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm assuming you've driven one?

FWIW, I ordered a 2009 EL LTD in Feb and finally got it in July. I too found it strange that you couldn't get the factory nav w/o the rear DVD, and was initially concerned about the lack of LSD. I came out of an 01 EB, and do use my Expedition for hauling.

The seats do fold pretty flat; there is a slight angle to the second row but it's not a showstopper. I had a chance to monkey around in the snow a few weeks ago, and I didn't miss the LSD when in 4x4. Being an EL, it's a massive SUV, but the ride is very stable. I wouldn't call the suspension soft, but it is very smooth. While I was awaiting delivery, I drove a Sub for comparison and walked away shaking my head.

If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm assuming you've driven one?

My current fleet consists of a 1998 Explorer XLT, 2002 7.3 Excursion XLT and 2007 Tahoe Z71. I like the Tahoe, it is good design and nice riding vehicle, but GM overall quality really sucks. Lots and lots of annoying little issues that I never had with any of my 5 Ford SUVs.

I have not driven a current Expedition yet. I chose the 07 Tahoe over the 07 Expedition last time around primarily because of the lack of available positraction and the fact that my Fisher Homesteader plow (which has resided on the Explorer for 5 years) could not be put on the Expedition (or a new Explorer) because of the ultra light duty front suspension.

I will make it a point to drive one.

Edited by GlennSullivan

My current fleet consists of a 1998 Explorer XLT, 2002 7.3 Excursion XLT and 2007 Tahoe Z71. I like the Tahoe, it is good design and nice riding vehicle, but GM overall quality really sucks. Lots and lots of annoying little issues that I never had with any of my 5 Ford SUVs.

I have not driven a current Expedition yet. I chose the 07 Tahoe over the 07 Expedition last time around primarily because of the lack of available positraction and the fact that my Fisher Homesteader plow (which has resided on the Explorer for 5 years) could not be put on the Expedition (or a new Explorer) because of the ultra light duty front suspension.

I will make it a point to drive one.

I agree. The F150 and Expy of 97-2000 or so were heavy duty in comparison to the ones of today. Thinner metal, cheaper feel, etc. Cost savings at it's best.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe they dont have a limited slip diff because they all seem to have traction control now. I think with traction control they use an open diff and when slippage is detected the brakes stop that wheel which sends power to another. I saw a nice demo a few years ago on this with an suv on a ramp with rollers set up so that at all times 3 wheels were on the rollers,it was like the suv was trying each wheel until 1 got traction and then it would move up and when it spun again it started all over. I was impressed at how well it did considering only 1 wheel at a time was getting traction