99 ranger 4.0 auto Trans issue

SRC ESCAPE

My younger brother has a ranger xlt 4wd 4.0 automatic 205,000 miles was told motor and trans rebuilt 25,000 miles ago.

The issue is take off in drive and it won't shift untill about 4,000 rpm but you have to let up on gas then it shifts to what feels like 3rd or 4th gear. He also states that overdrive lite on dash lites up intermittently. He also had dealership do a fluid and filter

100 miles earlier. My guess is the trans is dieing. Any thoughts?

My younger brother has a ranger xlt 4wd 4.0 automatic 205,000 miles was told motor and trans rebuilt 25,000 miles ago.

The issue is take off in drive and it won't shift untill about 4,000 rpm but you have to let up on gas then it shifts to what feels like 3rd or 4th gear. He also states that overdrive lite on dash lites up intermittently. He also had dealership do a fluid and filter

The auto tranny has band adjustments on the side of the case. The normal service manual says nothing about them, but you SHOULD have them adjusted every 60k. If you plan on rebuilding the transmission. Change the bands, seals, primary shift solenoid and the three secondary shift solenoids and the filter assembly at a minimum. There's a killer article on the guts of whats in that transmission buried in the explorerforum.com .

Could have a torn seperator plate gasket as well, which is a cheap fix. However you won;t know jack till you at least have the codes read to see why the TCIL is flashing.