Navistar joins the party

Well our old friend Jim Hebe (the guy who helped engineer the theft of Ford's heavy truck business for 300 mil when he was at Freightliner) announced that his new employer- Navistar - was going to jump into class 4 and 5. I'm not sure if GM will be out of 5 (I think they will- someone help me out here) I guess Hebe thinks there is a chance to grab some of Ford's dominance (50.5% class 4, 44.1% class 5) before the likes of Hino get their beachead established.

Hopefully Ford's new 6.7 will hold its own as it will be going up against Navistar's "Power Stroke" in those weight classes.

In any case, with the dealer network they have, and their good position in 7 and 8, this will be formidable competition. Let's hope the Ford Commercial Truck guys get the lions share of the marketing budget vs. the Ford Fleet guys who are clueless- you know them- they are the ones that bring you the "er" ads in the likes of Heavy Duty Trucking!

• Like 1

No surprise, they have been talking about it for years. International was sort-of in class 5 about 10 years ago with a lo-pro version of the 4200, but it didn't go anywhere. It will be interesting to see what they will come up with. As for GM, they don't have anything in class 5 at the moment. The 3500HD's get an all-new chassis this summer (2011 model year) that will put them in class 4. GCWR on the pickups will be over 20,000#'s I am told. Rumor is there will be a larger class 5 at some point as well.

• Like 1