2001 CV Sport with 41K miles failed to start but cranked strongly. No-fuel synptoms. 2 hours later it started fine, ran well. Ford dealer shop diagnosed code P0191 and said fuel pump needed. I went for it and the bill was $860+ with new filter, environmental fee et al.

Did I get shafted? Could it have been some relay? Should the filter have been replaced first to see what happened?

2001 CV Sport with 41K miles failed to start but cranked strongly. No-fuel synptoms. 2 hours later it started fine, ran well. Ford dealer shop diagnosed code P0191 and said fuel pump needed. I went for it and the bill was $860+ with new filter, environmental fee et al.

Did I get shafted? Could it have been some relay? Should the filter have been replaced first to see what happened?

I certainly would have replaced the filter first and re-run the test.

Price seems kind of high. Fuel pump assembly should be between $100-$200. The rest is labor.

P.S. When WAS the last time the fuel filter was replaced ?

Its very possible the Fuel pump was bad. I have replaced them in a Grand Marquis for a intermittent crank no start. The code P0191 is a lack of fuel pressure detected by the fuel rail pressure sensor. I can not remember the exact price of the pump, but last one I priced for a older Navigatior was $400.00.

It could have been a relay, but it doesn't surprise me it needed a pump.

• 1 month later...

I certainly would have replaced the filter first and re-run the test.

Price seems kind of high. Fuel pump assembly should be between $100-$200. The rest is labor.

P.S. When WAS the last time the fuel filter was replaced ?

Replacement pump whistled badly and the dealer did the job at their cost. Now that one is whistling just as bad. Why would original equipment not do this but these 2 be this way? Is there a better quality pump for the application?