Hood Problems!

SVTDarkCobra

Ok guys um I love Ford so much that it is hard for me to say this but I need a little help. I really take great care of my Mustang (2006) washed and waxed at least once a week. But since Im younger, eighteen to be exact, I bought my baby used and after this winter the hood is starting to oxidize. Man you guys don't know how hard it was for me to type that let alone think that. The oxidization is starting on the lip of the hood on the inside and has started to show on the outside, with a little starting on the bottom of the inside door. Now can I take my car to the Ford dealer were I bought it used and see if the Corrosion coverage (60/unlimited) will do? Can this even help me? It really saddens me to even think at my 2006 Ford has started to oxidize (I will never say the other word). I could take pictures if you guys really want (but I really would like to forget that this happened). The thing is I don't know how to get pictures here.

Kyle

Ok guys um I love Ford so much that it is hard for me to say this but I need a little help. I really take great care of my Mustang (2006) washed and waxed at least once a week. But since Im younger, eighteen to be exact, I bought my baby used and after this winter the hood is starting to oxidize. Man you guys don't know how hard it was for me to type that let alone think that. The oxidization is starting on the lip of the hood on the inside and has started to show on the outside, with a little starting on the bottom of the inside door. Now can I take my car to the Ford dealer were I bought it used and see if the Corrosion coverage (60/unlimited) will do? Can this even help me? It really saddens me to even think at my 2006 Ford has started to oxidize (I will never say the other word). I could take pictures if you guys really want (but I really would like to forget that this happened). The thing is I don't know how to get pictures here.

Kyle

Hi Kyle. :D Sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to definitively answer your question over the Internet. Therefore, the best course of action is to take your Mustang to the Dealer and see what can be done.

One thing to know: If you read all of the information in the Warranty Guide concerning the Corrosion Coverage, you will find that it does not kick in until the component/body panel has rusted completely through (i.e. been perforated by rust). So technically, it is not yet covered under Warranty. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the hood of the Mustang either composite or aluminum ( I forget which)? Of course, the paint can still oxidize on a composite or aluminum hood, but there won't be any rust or rust through.

In the end, the only way to get a definitive answer is to bring your Mustang to the Dealer so the problem can be diagnosed. Then we can try to help you from there if necessary.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Last Update:

Let me start off by saying that the Ford Dealer was very helpful with my corrosion problem. Unfourturently there was nothing they could do because it was considered surface corrosion which is a 3 year/36K mile warranty. Even with the extended warranty (which doesn't protect against surface corrosion I found out) they couldn't help me. Ill be honest it sucks but I he tried to help me and did what he could've. Thanks for the help too bbf2530 it much appreciated. It also gave me an excuse to go look at the new Taurus.

Kyle

This problem is actually extremely common on the s197 mustangs. There is a known problem with the aluminum hoods being contaminated with metal particles before paint at the factory. They were not properly handled or prepped for paint. The corrosion always starts at the seem of the hood and eats it like cancer destroying the paint as it goes. There are tsbs issued to dealers describing this condition. Its sad that something the factory allowed causes a defect that doesn't become noticeable until ford is able to deny responsibility. I'm not being negative here. I'm very happy with my car but when the paint on the hood is finally ruined I will turn to the aftermarket because ford won't do anything about it and even a repaint is just putting off the inevitable.

Last Update:

Let me start off by saying that the Ford Dealer was very helpful with my corrosion problem. Unfourturently there was nothing they could do because it was considered surface corrosion which is a 3 year/36K mile warranty. Even with the extended warranty (which doesn't protect against surface corrosion I found out) they couldn't help me. Ill be honest it sucks but I he tried to help me and did what he could've. Thanks for the help too bbf2530 it much appreciated. It also gave me an excuse to go look at the new Taurus.

Kyle