18" vs. 20" Wheels

newford

What are some pros/cons of the 18" vs. 20" wheels in a Expy EL 4x4? Thanks!

Hi newford. :D You will get varying opinions according to the personal preference of the individual replying, but here are few off the top of my head:

18" pros - Lower purchase cost. Better ride due to higher profile (larger sidewall) tires. Replacement tires are less expensive.

20" pros - Possibly slightly better handling due to lower profile tires. But after all, it is a large SUV so "slightly better handling" is a relative term. Most people feel a larger wheel looks better.

18" cons - Most people feel smaller wheels do not look as good as larger wheels. Possibly slightly worse handling (but again, the terms "large SUV" and "handling" generally do not mix well anyway).

20" cons - Higher purchase cost. Replacement tires are more expensive. Possible higher chance of wheel damage due to shorter sidewalls (potholes etc.). Slightly lower fuel mileage due to heavier wheel weight (again, the terms "large SUV" and "good fuel mileage" are contradictory).

My bottom line opinion: It comes down to what is important to you: The looks of the 20's or the better ride of the 18's. If money matters, the lower cost of the 18's, both upfront for the wheels and later for replacement tires could be a factor.

Slightly better handling (20's) or slightly better fuel mileage (18's)? Let's face it if someone is greatly interested in either handling or mpg's, they are not buying a large SUV in the first place.

Like I stated upfront, this is just few ideas off the top of my head, and it is a highly personal preference type of question.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Hi newford. :D You will get varying opinions according to the personal preference of the individual replying, but here are few off the top of my head:

18" pros - Lower purchase cost. Better ride due to higher profile (larger sidewall) tires. Replacement tires are less expensive.

20" pros - Possibly slightly better handling due to lower profile tires. But after all, it is a large SUV so "slightly better handling" is a relative term. Most people feel a larger wheel looks better.

18" cons - Most people feel smaller wheels do not look as good as larger wheels. Possibly slightly worse handling (but again, the terms "large SUV" and "handling" generally do not mix well anyway).

20" cons - Higher purchase cost. Replacement tires are more expensive. Possible higher chance of wheel damage due to shorter sidewalls (potholes etc.). Slightly lower fuel mileage due to heavier wheel weight (again, the terms "large SUV" and "good fuel mileage" are contradictory).

My bottom line opinion: It comes down to what is important to you: The looks of the 20's or the better ride of the 18's. If money matters, the lower cost of the 18's, both upfront for the wheels and later for replacement tires could be a factor.

Slightly better handling (20's) or slightly better fuel mileage (18's)? Let's face it if someone is greatly interested in either handling or mpg's, they are not buying a large SUV in the first place.

Like I stated upfront, this is just few ideas off the top of my head, and it is a highly personal preference type of question.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Great info! Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Great info! Thanks!

Actually the 18's would have the potential to have better handling since you could use a wider tire then you could with a 20" rim (true 20's usually have a lower profile but you could easily use a tire with the same low profile on an 18 but at the same time would be able to go wider). Since you have a 4x4 I would recommend getting the 18's because you'll be able to get a wide tire that still has some decent sidewill height that will let you go offroading. The only Pro's for getting bigger than an 18 would be for aesthetic looks to fill out the wheel well more, and 20's will take more gas and you won't be as fast on acceleration.

Actually the 18's would have the potential to have better handling since you could use a wider tire then you could with a 20" rim (true 20's usually have a lower profile but you could easily use a tire with the same low profile on an 18 but at the same time would be able to go wider). Since you have a 4x4 I would recommend getting the 18's because you'll be able to get a wide tire that still has some decent sidewill height that will let you go offroading. The only Pro's for getting bigger than an 18 would be for aesthetic looks to fill out the wheel well more, and 20's will take more gas and you won't be as fast on acceleration.

Hi smo0thride. :D Not really contradicting you, just want to make sure the OP (or others) are not confused by the information we have provided (since it can be confusing to those not up on wheel/tire tech). Actually, assuming the same width/sidewall ratio tire, I generally agree that an 18" wheel will handle better than a 20" wheel (all other variables being equal, i.e. no expensive lightweight 20's etc.), due to the unsprung weight factor being in favor of the 18's. And I also agree that in most cases, the 18" wheel is a better choice, for those who value function and substance over "style".

As far as worrying about room in the wheelwell, neither an 18" or 20" wheel would generally be a factor with large 4x4's like the Expedition. Lots of room in the wheelwells for most applications. That is unless someone were putting very large tires specifically for hard core off-roading, which did not seem to be a concern for newford (or most 4x4 owners, who are usually only off-road when they are in a parking lot at the mall).

However, the point I wanted to make to avoid possible confusion for some people: The tire width range that can be used on any particular wheel is determined solely by the width of the wheel, not the diameter. So as an example: The acceptable width range of any particular tire brand/model for both an 18" x 8.0" wheel and a 20" x 8.0" wheel would be exactly the same. Mix in any particular diameter/width wheel, and the same applies.

I know you were referring mainly to space in the wheelwell in your reply, I just thought it would be good to mention the "wheel width" factor concerning manufacturer recommended tire width ranges..

For those who may not be sure, this information can be easily double-checked on any of the major tire manufacturers websites. Just check the manufacturers usage/spec charts, and we will find that the acceptable tire tread width is determined solely by the wheel width (not diameter).

Hope this information helps someone :shift: .

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

...As far as worrying about room in the wheelwell, neither an 18" or 20" wheel would generally be a factor with large 4x4's like the Expedition. Lots of room in the wheelwells for most applications. That is unless someone were putting very large tires specifically for hard core off-roading, which did not seem to be a concern for newford (or most 4x4 owners, who are usually only off-road when they are in a parking lot at the mall)....

Hope this information helps someone :shift: .

Good luck. :beerchug:

Appreciate your input!

Just to clarify. 4x4 primarily for driving through snow, for when launching and pulling boat out of water, and some basic trails, but no hardcore off-roading. Want 4x4 for just a little more than the mall parking lot though. :D The Raptor, not the Expy, would be my choice if I wanted to do real off-roading. B)

:beerchug: