Lincoln LS question

Does anyone know the location of the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor on the '02 LS V8?

The LS does not use a ECT. They use a CHT, a cylinder head temp sensor. Its located on the Right hand head under the intake.

What is the problem you are having? I have never had to change a CHT on a LS.

No wonder I can't find it!

Anyway, the car overheated the other day and when I stopped, there was coolant leaking from the overflow bottle. I replaced that, refilled the coolant (including the bleeding the air) and it's still randomly overheating, mainly when idling. I suspect the fan isn't working properly. It's turning but doesn't seem to spin up to hgh speed. The fan fluid (yes, it has fan fluid!) was a bit low so I brought it up the max level and so far, it's keeping normal temp.

As you know it uses a hydraulic pump to run the fan. If you turn the A/C on, the fan should speed up. If it does not, I bet the solenoid on the back of the fan pump is bad. It can be serviced seperately from the pump.

I have replaced a few. Also, check the space between the condenspor and radiator, it fills with leaves and debris.

There was a TSB about bad fan assemblys, but I doubt thats the problem.

If parts dept can't find it, tell them its the same solenoid base part number as a "EVO" solenoid as used in powersteering.

As you know it uses a hydraulic pump to run the fan. If you turn the A/C on, the fan should speed up. If it does not, I bet the solenoid on the back of the fan pump is bad. It can be serviced seperately from the pump.

I have replaced a few. Also, check the space between the condenspor and radiator, it fills with leaves and debris.

There was a TSB about bad fan assemblys, but I doubt thats the problem.

If parts dept can't find it, tell them its the same solenoid base part number as a "EVO" solenoid as used in powersteering.

The pump is buried down beside the engine. How hard is it to change solenoid?

The pump is buried down beside the engine. How hard is it to change solenoid?

Its kinda tight. I can not remember on a 8cyl if you have to get it from the bottom or not. It just have one bolt going through it. But like most things on the LS, what isn't hard to get to. Its on the back of the pump. Look for the electrical connector. I am thinking you get it from underneath.

Its kinda tight. I can not remember on a 8cyl if you have to get it from the bottom or not. It just have one bolt going through it. But like most things on the LS, what isn't hard to get to. Its on the back of the pump. Look for the electrical connector. I am thinking you get it from underneath.

Ok thanks. I'll crawl under and see if it's easy to get to.