Romeo Engine Plant

ldf

To: Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400 Membership

We, the membership of Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400, Engine Associates and Skilled Trades, bring charges against Romeo Engine Plant Chairman Randy Newsom for Conduct Unbecoming of a Union Official and Union Member. Chairman Newsom is unprofessional, abrasive and argumentative with the Membership and Company. Chairman Newsom’s frequent alcohol intoxication impairs his judgment and he displays a consistent lack of self control.[/b]

Charges are as follows:

not scheduling annual Romeo Engine Plant Unit Meetings; disregarding Local 400 bylaws requiring one unit meeting per year

collaborating with Company representative, Paul Doyle, to put low seniority UAW members ahead of high seniority UAW members on PV8 Engine Cold Test

allowing the Company to force UAW members to use vacation hours during TLO

informing plant membership Romeo Engine Plant was closing because plant membership did not vote him Delegate

informing plant membership Romeo Engine Plant will not receive future work unless he is Plant Chairman

not posting FPS or Quality job openings

denying Coordinators their “one hour”

allowing Plant Manager Shaun Whitehead, to dictate Engine Assembly start time and to refuse any discussion with UAW representatives or Engine Associates

allowing UAW Plant Committee members to “turn in” fellow UAW members to the Company for disciplinary action

allowing the Company to remove individuals from appointed Plant Committee positions because they do not politically align with Chairman Newsom

eliminating record of 374 overtime hours from a politically aligned Committee member

allowing overtime spread to exceed 400 hours; the Local contract stipulates maximum spread of 175 hours

manipulating overtime hours spread by allowing a member in a UAW appointed position to accumulate 2,700 hours of overtime in order to maximize his compensation as Plant Chairman

In addition, the Skilled Trades of Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400, bring charges against UAW Plant Chairman Randy Newsom for actions and activities Unbecoming of a Union Official and Union Member.

Charges are as follows:

allowing skilled trades overtime hours to remain continuously out of spread; no attempt is made to equalize hours.

failing to represent skilled tradespersons disciplined by the Company for ECPL violations, not challenging ECPL violation allegations against tradespersons, failing to follow up with the UAW grievance procedure and making no attempt to reinstate lost wages

stopping the Skilled Trades Committee organized to discuss and clarify work rules impacting all Skilled Trades

refers to all the Skilled Trades in very negative and derogatory terms

Romeo Engine Plant Chairman Newsom has left the Membership of Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400, with no other alternative but to pursue impeachment proceedings for Conduct Unbecoming of a Union Official and Union Member. Petitions demanding to bring this to a vote by the Membership are forthcoming.

Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400 Membership

• Like 2

Hmmm........

Let me guess you have an election coming up within the next 6 months.

Leave this crap in your plant.

Dont post it here where no one else cares about your politics.

This stuff makes us look like buffoons on a public web site

Thanks......

Lets just keep hiding the truth. Just what we need another person against freedom of speech.

Here is an idea.

Stand outside the gates and hand out flyers

Post this on your union poster boards.

Bring it up as new business at your next union meeting

There is your freedom of speech.

To post this on a public web site is really a shame. I could care less if you impeach your chairman. I worry a potential customer(s) stumbles on to this site investigating a purchase of a Ford vehicle and see’s this crap. We all seen the congressional and senate hearings and know what the general public feel about UAW workers. That’s what I am concerned about. This potential customer(s) could then post this link to a local newspaper blog and the entire list readers see this and the next purchase will not be a Ford.

So post your political literature in your plant where it belongs and not on a public website.

Thanks,

Lou

We, the membership of Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400, Engine Associates and Skilled Trades, bring charges against Romeo Engine Plant Chairman Randy Newsom for Conduct Unbecoming of a Union Official and Union Member. Chairman Newsom is unprofessional, abrasive and argumentative with the Membership and Company. Chairman Newsom’s frequent alcohol intoxication impairs his judgment and he displays a consistent lack of self control.[/b]

Charges are as follows:

not scheduling annual Romeo Engine Plant Unit Meetings; disregarding Local 400 bylaws requiring one unit meeting per year

collaborating with Company representative, Paul Doyle, to put low seniority UAW members ahead of high seniority UAW members on PV8 Engine Cold Test

informing plant membership Romeo Engine Plant was closing because plant membership did not vote him Delegate

informing plant membership Romeo Engine Plant will not receive future work unless he is Plant Chairman

allowing Plant Manager Shaun Whitehead, to dictate Engine Assembly start time and to refuse any discussion with UAW representatives or Engine Associates

allowing UAW Plant Committee members to “turn in” fellow UAW members to the Company for disciplinary action

allowing the Company to remove individuals from appointed Plant Committee positions because they do not politically align with Chairman Newsom

eliminating record of 374 overtime hours from a politically aligned Committee member

allowing overtime spread to exceed 400 hours; the Local contract stipulates maximum spread of 175 hours

manipulating overtime hours spread by allowing a member in a UAW appointed position to accumulate 2,700 hours of overtime in order to maximize his compensation as Plant Chairman

In addition, the Skilled Trades of Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400, bring charges against UAW Plant Chairman Randy Newsom for actions and activities Unbecoming of a Union Official and Union Member.

Charges are as follows:

allowing skilled trades overtime hours to remain continuously out of spread; no attempt is made to equalize hours.

failing to represent skilled tradespersons disciplined by the Company for ECPL violations, not challenging ECPL violation allegations against tradespersons, failing to follow up with the UAW grievance procedure and making no attempt to reinstate lost wages

stopping the Skilled Trades Committee organized to discuss and clarify work rules impacting all Skilled Trades

Romeo Engine Plant Chairman Newsom has left the Membership of Romeo Engine Plant, UAW Local 400, with no other alternative but to pursue impeachment proceedings for Conduct Unbecoming of a Union Official and Union Member. Petitions demanding to bring this to a vote by the Membership are forthcoming.

• Like 1

He truly is an embarrassment to the Plant and the Local. But you must remember he was voted in by the people, not all but a majority.

With that being said...... I second........

Maybe you all should have elected Johnny again instead of this guy!!!!!!

• Like 1

First of all, I have not or probably will never be an employee at Romeo, so most of the items mentioned I cant be qualified to comment on.

But, on 3 issues, here may be some reasonable explantions:

This may be the State of Michigan doing this, rather than the collusion of company/UAW. Check the unemployment laws in MI as they have changed in the last 2 years.

The BATAVIA HATCHET! Where ever she goes, the building crumbles behind her!

The company cant remove those from appointed positions, only the International UAW can. The company can make a complaint and use the arbitration/umpire process to have a person removed if they feel the person is doing harm to both UAW and company workers. But that would take up 2 years to have the process complete.

Tapper

Edited by tapper
  • Like 1

First of all, I have not or probably will never be an employee at Romeo, so most of the items mentioned I cant be qualified to comment on.

But, on 3 issues, here may be some reasonable explantions:

This may be the State of Michigan doing this, rather than the collusion of company/UAW. Check the unemployment laws in MI as they have changed in the last 2 years.

The BATAVIA HATCHET! Where ever she goes, the building crumbles behind her!

The company cant remove those from appointed positions, only the International UAW can. The company can make a complaint and use the arbitration/umpire process to have a person removed if they feel the person is doing harm to both UAW and company workers. But that would take up 2 years to have the process complete.

Tapper

[b]Special Payments (Vacation Pay, Holiday Pay, Severance Pay, Separation Pay, Wage Continuation Payment, Payment in Lieu of Notice, Bonus)[/b]

What the law says: This issue is covered by Sections 48(2), 27©, and 50©(4) of the Michigan Employment Security Act, and Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) Administrative Rule 302. The law says that if the worker is entitled to the vacation pay, holiday pay, severance pay, or any of the other payments mentioned in the title of this page, these kinds of payments may be used to reduce a worker's unemployment benefits. However, to reduce an unemployed worker's unemployment benefits, the employer must “allocate” (assign) the holiday pay, vacation pay, severance pay, or any other payments mentioned, to a specific period,or the employment contract must do so.

If an employer gives no notice to a worker before layoff, but gives the worker payment instead (“in lieu” of the notice), then that payment would reduce the worker’s unemployment benefits.

Supplemental Unemployment Benefit (SUB) payment by the employer will not be used to reduce unemployment benefits. However, a bonus, and a severance, separation, or a wage continuation payment will be used to reduce unemployment benefits in the week paid, or over a series of weeks if so allocated by the employer. Severance, separation, and wage continuation payments will not be used as qualifying wages in determining monetary eligibility for benefits. Holiday pay and vacation pay will, however, be used as qualifying wages, as will bonus payments and payments in lieu of notice.

What the Attorney General and the Courts have said: The Attorney General has said that if a worker receives a vacation payment but has the choice and does not choose to take a vacation, then the vacation pay will be considered a bonus. If the employee did not take vacation, but did not have the choice of receiving the vacation payment, then the vacation pay would reduce unemployment benefits if the employer allocates the pay to a week or weeks.

Courts have said that if a worker has the right to receive vacation pay, and the worker actually takes vacation time off of work, then unless otherwise specified by the contract the employer can assign the vacation pay to any future period of time. However, the employer must notify the worker in writing, and the worker’s union representative, if any, of the designation.

Examples: If a worker becomes entitled to three weeks of vacation pay on his or her anniversary date on March 1, the worker does not have the option of receiving the payment without taking vacation, and the employer has a plant shutdown scheduled for three weeks in July, the employer can designate the vacation pay to the period in July (unless the contract specifies otherwise), regardless of when the vacation payment is actually paid to the worker (unless the contract specifies otherwise). However, the written notice required under Administrative Rule 302 must be given in advance of the plant shutdown.

The designation in this way will likely prevent unemployment benefits from being payable to the worker for the period of the plant shutdown.

Proof at the Hearing: The employer has the burden to prove that a particular kind of special payment was made, and that the payment meets the requirements of the law and the Administrative Rule, in order to reduce unemployment benefits.

For Further Help: The Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) Advocacy Program can provide assistance to employers and workers in preparing for Administrative Law Judge and Board of Review hearings on this issue. Call 1-800- 638-3994.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information on this sheet is intended to provide a general understanding of the subject matter. It does not have the force of law or regulation.

• Like 1

name='louie' date='09 June 2010 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1276116228' post='619944'

Here is an idea.

Stand outside the gates and hand out flyers

Post this on your union poster boards.

Bring it up as new business at your next union meeting

All good Ideas

However I do care to know what is happening at other locations, you may not give a shit but information is information. This and other message boards are ways for Ford workers to be able to communicate with what is happening at their locations.

I work in Local 600, I hardly know what is happening in a plant that is on my site let alone what workers are dealing with in other locals around the country.

You want the dark ages, don't read the boards plain and simple.

To post this on a public web site is really a shame. I could care less if you impeach your chairman. I worry a potential customer(s) stumbles on to this site investigating a purchase of a Ford vehicle and see’s this crap. We all seen the congressional and senate hearings and know what the general public feel about UAW workers. That’s what I am concerned about. This potential customer(s) could then post this link to a local newspaper blog and the entire list readers see this and the next purchase will not be a Ford.

So post your political literature in your plant where it belongs and not on a public website.

Thanks,

Lou

Outsiders already have their minds made up I am sure seeing a post or two here will not change anyone's mind either way about autoworkers, they already have good or bad feelings about us.

As you have already pointed out with the congressional hearings, our business has already been put in the public eye, I highly doubt threads here will change that perception.

Edited by lquidspine
  • Like 1

All good Ideas

However I do care to know what is happening at other locations, you may not give a shit but information is information. This and other message boards are ways for Ford workers to be able to communicate with what is happening at their locations.

I work in Local 600, I hardly know what is happening in a plant that is on my site let alone what workers are dealing with in other locals around the country.

You want the dark ages, don't read the boards plain and simple.

Outsiders already have their minds made up I am sure seeing a post or two here will not change anyone's mind either way about autoworkers, they already have good or bad feelings about us.

As you have already pointed out with the congressional hearings, our business has already been put in the public eye, I highly doubt threads here will change that perception.

Well HAPPY Fucking Thursday to Romeo!!!

About time SOME of the truth leaked out.

These are not empty charges.

These charges are just the tip of the iceberg.

Could sharing a cell with Kwame be in Randys future?

Tapper

Two years is a long time. Why not just take'em out back and beat his Azz? It still amazes me how this idiot got elected. He isn't even smart enough to know how to tie his shoes, let alone B.S. the people and become "The Chairbilly"

• Like 1

Charges are as follows:

Charges are as follows:

1) Who exactly is the charging party?

2) When were the charges filed?

3) Have the charging members brought it up at a local union meeting?

4) Has there been a vote of 2/3s of the membership to remove the Chairman?

5) Has the Region been involved?

6) Has the International been involved?

1) Who exactly is the charging party?

2) When were the charges filed?

3) Have the charging members brought it up at a local union meeting?

4) Has there been a vote of 2/3s of the membership to remove the Chairman?

5) Has the Region been involved?

6) Has the International been involved?

Next week there will be names provided for each charge and who has brought the charges forth, followed up step-by-step per our constitution for the impeachment process.

Edited by ldf
  • Like 1

Idiots, this is a fking public Ford Motor Company site! Keep this shit off of it!

As a customer, I hope that you will allow me to speak to this since there are a number of comments about what customers must be thinking.

I would suggest that people not stop posting this stuff. I come here to get the latest news from Ford, and I can get a chance to 'take the pulse' of the company. When stuff like this comes up what I see is that there are a number of dedicated employees who give a damn about their jobs and about the quality of work they can do, enough so that they speak up and try to effect change. This is a good thing in my view.

Edited by PTRocks
  • Like 2

As a customer, I hope that you will allow me to speak to this since there are a number of comments about what customers must be thinking.

I would suggest that people not stop posting this stuff. I come here to get the latest news from Ford, and I can get a chance to 'take the pulse' of the company. When stuff like this comes up what I see is that there are a number of dedicated employees who give a damn about their jobs and about the quality of work they can do, enough so that they speak up and try to effect change. This is a good thing in my view.

Thank you PTR, the workers do value what our customers think.....and some of us even still believe the fight we take on still has an effect around the country.

Maybe cocky thinking, but i would like to think that a democratic organized labor force should still be allowed to voice their opinions. Some however would rather sweep things under the rug and let the same old same old continue to happen.

We are not all lazy ,lying , cheating workers....the new union activist want fair work for fair pay as well as accountability from those that lead us.

• Like 1

Thank you PTR, the workers do value what our customers think.....and some of us even still believe the fight we take on still has an effect around the country.

Maybe cocky thinking, but i would like to think that a democratic organized labor force should still be allowed to voice their opinions. Some however would rather sweep things under the rug and let the same old same old continue to happen.

We are not all lazy ,lying , cheating workers....the new union activist want fair work for fair pay as well as accountability from those that lead us.

idiot!

Sweep under the rug???

Are you serious?

I have said that I could care less about the local politics or even impeaching the Chairman.

I have said and it is still my opinion that this will have a negative impact on the buying public that read these types of posts. End of story.

I will continue to say…….. Its part of our constitution and everyone included can apply the constitution to best represent the location.

I have posted nothing to even suggest sweeping provisions of our constitution under the rug.

Why is everything a conspiracy with you?

Sweep under the rug???

If members do not use all communications currently available to get word out what is happening at their locals no one in other locations would ever know of certain things.

This being one example; do you honestly think someone in KC is going to get information with this type of detail out to other members that may actually care to know ?

Are you serious?

Ya I am , this may sound out of the ordinary to you but I would like to know as much as I possibly can fit into my brain.

Conduct Unbecoming a Union member is the most serious charge a union worker can be brought up on within our structure....so ya I give a shit.

I have said that I could care less about the local politics or even impeaching the Chairman.
Is it really politics or are some of the charges the same shit that happens at every Local around the country and a group of people are fed up with it, /shrug

If pushed all the way we will find out someday.

I have said and it is still my opinion that this will have a negative impact on the buying public that read these types of posts. End of story.
You are entitled to your opinion and have posted as much, others felt it was their opinion to post this. So until you become moderator and restrict what is and is not allowed people can post what they want within the rules of the boards.

You may even want to look at the other side of the coin louie.

If non Ford workers see rank and file will no longer stand for corruption within our leadership , we may actually change some minds that way. Example one bad cop does not make me hate all police officers , and I would applaud any cops that turn in corrupt ones.....Same goes for Our Union.

I will continue to say…….. Its part of our constitution and everyone included can apply the constitution to best represent the location.

I have posted nothing to even suggest sweeping provisions of our constitution under the rug.

Why is everything a conspiracy with you?

It Is part of our constitution you are correct , and again I will refer to the last paragraph. Right now most outsiders feel UAW workers are all a bunch of corrupt lazy workers that always want the easy route.

Here is someone posting a serious charge in accordance of our bylaws, so why is it so bad that it should not be put out for more members to see (while yes admittedly people outside will see it) ?

But its ok for the general public to know how much and when I get my fucking bonuses, but when it comes to not getting contractual language out to members before votes or issues that effect more than one person its not ok to be in the public eye ?

Sorry its not a conspiracy thing to me its a transparency thing in my eye, something our structure has resisted for years, but that is slowly changing.

Seems we will continue to agree to disagree , no big deal and nothing neither of us can do anything about anyway right ?

Unless you want to start your own site and restrict what is and is not post-able topics.

• Like 1

If members do not use all communications currently available to get word out what is happening at their locals no one in other locations would ever know of certain things.

This being one example; do you honestly think someone in KC is going to get information with this type of detail out to other members that may actually care to know ?

Ya I am , this may sound out of the ordinary to you but I would like to know as much as I possibly can fit into my brain.

Conduct Unbecoming a Union member is the most serious charge a union worker can be brought up on within our structure....so ya I give a shit.

Is it really politics or are some of the charges the same shit that happens at every Local around the country and a group of people are fed up with it, /shrug

If pushed all the way we will find out someday.

You are entitled to your opinion and have posted as much, others felt it was their opinion to post this. So until you become moderator and restrict what is and is not allowed people can post what they want within the rules of the boards.

You may even want to look at the other side of the coin louie.

If non Ford workers see rank and file will no longer stand for corruption within our leadership , we may actually change some minds that way. Example one bad cop does not make me hate all police officers , and I would applaud any cops that turn in corrupt ones.....Same goes for Our Union.

It Is part of our constitution you are correct , and again I will refer to the last paragraph. Right now most outsiders feel UAW workers are all a bunch of corrupt lazy workers that always want the easy route.

Here is someone posting a serious charge in accordance of our bylaws, so why is it so bad that it should not be put out for more members to see (while yes admittedly people outside will see it) ?

But its ok for the general public to know how much and when I get my fucking bonuses, but when it comes to not getting contractual language out to members before votes or issues that effect more than one person its not ok to be in the public eye ?

Sorry its not a conspiracy thing to me its a transparency thing in my eye, something our structure has resisted for years, but that is slowly changing.

Seems we will continue to agree to disagree , no big deal and nothing neither of us can do anything about anyway right ?

Unless you want to start your own site and restrict what is and is not post-able topics.

Excellent rebuttal LS, agree completely.

Excellent rebuttal LS, agree completely.

I couldn't agree more, the Adm Causcus has dumbed down he membership by allowing thiscrap to go on un-checked and well known! The reason being, many are part of the smae culture and use the position they hold for their own benefit, over the members!!

I couldn't agree more, the Adm Causcus has dumbed down he membership by allowing thiscrap to go on un-checked and well known! The reason being, many are part of the smae culture and use the position they hold for their own benefit, over the members!!

You're right.. but now that charges against Newsom have been made Romeo Engine Plant Local 400 membership will only get "dumbed down" further ... IF they allow the current situation to continue.

• Like 1

As an employee at Romeo I will say this is another piece of the same crap I've been seeing and hearing for a while now.

I did vote for Randy. I did because the previous chairman was a disapointment-losing cleaner and hi-lo jobs-all the talk of how he was setting himself up to go downtown, etc. You all remember that stuff?

Randy has been a disapointment in his own right.

I do feel it was lowdown to circulate an unsubstantiated unsigned letter. Everyone deserves to know who their accuser is. Randy was stupid enough to get busy responding with his own letter-letting us know how hard he is working for us.

If this is true then lets prove it and make any changes required. It was true about Pinelli and changes were made and thats good.

I personally am tired of conflicting answers on overtime spreads and passing of the buck from the chairman to the skilled trades rep. Everyone points at the other guy. No unity, no party line. It's not me its him. He did it. I'm out of the loop. He cut a deal with HR.

We elected these guys to represent us and it's all a farce

• Like 1

As an employee at Romeo I will say this is another piece of the same crap I've been seeing and hearing for a while now.

I did vote for Randy. I did because the previous chairman was a disapointment-losing cleaner and hi-lo jobs-all the talk of how he was setting himself up to go downtown, etc. You all remember that stuff?

Randy has been a disapointment in his own right.

I do feel it was lowdown to circulate an unsubstantiated unsigned letter. Everyone deserves to know who their accuser is. Randy was stupid enough to get busy responding with his own letter-letting us know how hard he is working for us.

If this is true then lets prove it and make any changes required. It was true about Pinelli and changes were made and thats good.

I personally am tired of conflicting answers on overtime spreads and passing of the buck from the chairman to the skilled trades rep. Everyone points at the other guy. No unity, no party line. It's not me its him. He did it. I'm out of the loop. He cut a deal with HR.

We elected these guys to represent us and it's all a farce

Verellen didn't lose those jobs, the International negoiated those "non-core" jobs away in order to be competitive.. the simple fact is that you failedto look into the candidates what they said and who was responsible forthe issues you are listing here. the membership has the duty to perform due diligence prior to voting. Remember the politicians will tell you what you want to hear to get elected. As for the unsigned letters, I would agree. But look at what the chairbilly has sdone since gettting into office, he had the company remove those who opposed him, from company appointed jobs, not contractually union appointed jobs. He purposely lett the hours get out of spread, along with Ellison!! Remember, the chairbilly is nothing without ellison and ellison is standing by while things become worse.

• Like 1