My 2011 Ford Mustang Order Experience

Kahdir

Hello Ford employees and fellow Ford customers,

I ordered a 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium on January 19th, 2010. I did so because of my pleasant experience with my 2005 Mustang GT Premium. Growing up in a predominately GM favored family, I decided to go against the grain when I ordered my 2005 Mustang for my 29th birthday in July of 2004. After owning several Jeeps ('85 CJ-7, '97 TJ, '00 TJ, '03 TJ), this was my first sport car and my first Ford purchase. My only expectation for delivery was before Christmas of 2004. My car was delivered November 19th, 2004. All of the excitement surrounding the S197 chassis did not disappoint.

Now fast forward to 2009. The new Chevrolet Camaro returns and I considered purchasing one while also keeping my 2005 Mustang. The redesign of the 2010 Mustang was wonderfully done, but the drivetrain did not meet the 400hp mark the 6.2L LS3 brought the table. Yet there were whispers of a new 400hp 5.0L motor slated for the 2011, so my plans changed. I held off on purchasing the Camaro as I anxiously awaited the opening of the 2011 Mustang order banks.

I ordered early to receive my car early and enjoy it as a birthday gift to myself. Not quite sure why my order took so long to schedule, but it was built on 5/14/10 and has been sitting at AAI's lot ever since. This wouldn't bother me so much if all similarly equiped cars were keeping it company, but there have been several hundred that I am aware of that were ordered (retail and stock), built and shipped since 5/14/10.

With July right around the corner, I am considering my options (2010 Camaro 2SS/RS) to keep my promise of "driving a new car by my birthday". I had hoped it would be the 2011 Mustang GT I ordered in January, but with the lack of info on my order status I don't see it happening.

2011 VIN #1ZVBP8CF7B5118634

Edited by Kahdir

Hello Ford employees and fellow Ford customers,

I ordered a 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium on January 19th, 2010. I did so because of my pleasant experience with my 2005 Mustang GT Premium. Growing up in a predominately GM favored family, I decided to go against the grain when I ordered my 2005 Mustang for my 29th birthday in July of 2004. After owning several Jeeps ('85 CJ-7, '97 TJ, '00 TJ, '03 TJ), this was my first sport car and my first Ford purchase. My only expectation for delivery was before Christmas of 2004. My car was delivered November 19th, 2004. All of the excitement surrounding the S197 chassis did not disappoint.

Now fast forward to 2009. The new Chevrolet Camaro returns and I considered purchasing one while also keeping my 2005 Mustang. The redesign of the 2010 Mustang was wonderfully done, but the drivetrain did not meet the 400hp mark the 6.2L LS3 brought the table. Yet there were whispers of a new 400hp 5.0L motor slated for the 2011, so my plans changed. I held off on purchasing the Camaro as I anxiously awaited the opening of the 2011 Mustang order banks.

I ordered early to receive my car early and enjoy it as a birthday gift to myself. Not quite sure why my order took so long to schedule, but it was built on 5/14/10 and has been sitting at AAI's lot ever since. This wouldn't bother me so much if all similarly equiped cars were keeping it company, but there have been several hundred that I am aware of that were ordered (retail and stock), built and shipped since 5/14/10.

With July right around the corner, I am considering my options (2010 Camaro 2SS/RS) to keep my promise of "driving a new car by my birthday". I had hoped it would be the 2011 Mustang GT I ordered in January, but with the lack of info on my order status I don't see it happening.

2011 VIN #1ZVBP8CF7B5118634

They are on hold currently. Ford is making sure the car is right before they give it to you. Many others are upset as well, but be patient.

I know you want the car for your birthday, and I hope you get it (my birthday's in July <hint-hint>), but wouldn't it just SUCK to be in a Camaro the day after your birthday, and get smoked by the guy driving your Mustang?????...... :ohsnap:

They are on hold currently. Ford is making sure the car is right before they give it to you. Many others are upset as well, but be patient.

I know you want the car for your birthday, and I hope you get it (my birthday's in July <hint-hint>), but wouldn't it just SUCK to be in a Camaro the day after your birthday, and get smoked by the guy driving your Mustang?????...... :ohsnap:

lol!

Yes that would suck, but I'm the automotive aftermarket industry -so either car I get will be modified ;-)

The Mustang would only need wheels, tires and a lowering kit in the begining to suit my taste. The Camaro on the other hand would need a good bit of SLP parts to avoid getting smoked the 2011 5.0L.

Eventually I'll have both in my driveway, I just wanted to replace my fantastic 2005 Mustang GT with an awesome 2011 Mustang GT and wait for Chevrolet to improve the Camaro's suspension, interior and power output.

:banghead: No change in status, my dealer does not have any idea when it will ship... yet a bunch of Mustangs built around the same time as mine were updated to in transit. (reference forum)

I have requested my deposit back.

Edited by Kahdir
  • Like 1

:banghead: No change in status, my dealer does not have any idea when it will ship... yet a bunch of Mustangs built around the same time as mine were updated to in transit. (reference forum)

:ohsnap:

Mine was built on 5/20, and it just arrived on 6/14. I know that there has been several holds. I have to believe it will ship at anytime. Will your dealer contact their Zone Rep and see if the can get you a definite answer?

:shades:

I'm in the same boat. Mine has a scheduled build date of 4/15 and it still hasn't shipped. Oh, and it's not even a 5.0 so there's no hold to speak of.

Dealer Summary:Provide a 2011 Mustang launch update. To:All Ford DealersAddressees: Dealer Principal

Sales Manager

F&I Manager

Service Manager

Parts Manager

Communication:

2011 Mustang Launch

Over the last several weeks, the 2011 Mustang has gained solid momentum as awareness grows for our latest product enhancements and as many launch elements unfold for the summer months. In fact, as many of you know, Mustang outsold Camaro for the month of May, the first time this year we've achieved leadership in the Sports Car segment.

As with all new product launches, we are making every effort to ensure the highest quality of early build units. With summer sales ramping up, there have been questions regarding the status of 2011MY Mustang orders, particularly retail units. As of today:

·We are currently building and shipping all Mustangs - V6, GT and GT500

·All currently built retail customer orders have been prioritized (oldest to newest) and will be shipped by the end of June.

In addition to capturing one month of Mustang Leadership, we are seeing other very good trends with 2011MY Mustang:

·Segment market share has been on an upward trend since February

·Between April and May, Mustang share was up 5ppts

We appreciate your continued support of our 2011 Mustang launch efforts, and you have our continued commitment to deliver the highest quality, the best value and hottest performance for Mustang, both on and off the track. Thank you.

The oldest to newest line is the biggest load of crap! As of 6/16/10, several hundred cars built in June were loaded for shipment, my car that was built 5/14 -no update!

The regional rep for eastern Pennsylvania called in a favor for an aftermarket company who employs the son of a Ford dealership owner. A grabber blue Mustang GT was ordered, built and delivered within 4 weeks! That order was sold at dealer cost (well below invoice). I am paying 2% over invoice. Does my money not spend as well as American Muscle's? Does my purchase not matter as much as theirs? I ordered early to receive my car early. Now it seems since I'm not using my purchase for profit and providing possible media coverage for Ford, I am forced to wait at the back of the bus as if it were 1955 on the Montgomery Bus line.

• Like 1