Thinking about buying an 09 Escape

nizon

I'm looking at buying an 09 Escape.

It seems the only ones that people are actually selling are the V6 Limited.

My primary vehicle has been a 97 Nissan Maxima for ages and now I'm looking at moving up to a small SUV.

Anyway what I'm wondering is what problems do people see with these vehicles?

I've seen a few posts about transmission issues and such, anything else like lights burning out, problems with the stereo, sync, etc.

Thanks guys!

My primary vehicle has been a 97 Nissan Maxima for ages and now I'm looking at moving up to a small SUV.

I've seen a few posts about transmission issues and such, anything else like lights burning out, problems with the stereo, sync, etc.

Thanks guys!

Transmission is the biggest deal. As long as it has had the recall done it should be fine. Other issues have been tempature blend door actuators making noise or stop working. VCT solenoids causing check engine light or buck/jerk. Sync is pretty good. Just get the latest updates for it. Thats about all I can think of.

Cool, thanks.

Anything temperature related will be an issue where I live for sure (Winnipeg).

In a year we get temperatures ranging from -40C to +35C.

All those mentioned issues should be covered by warranty correct?

Thanks guys!

I have a 09 Escape XLT with a 2.5 with automatic transmission. Had an ongoing problem with Sync and dealer finally changed the Sync module and it woks perfect now. Love the GPS that works amazingly. Had a recall on the Transmission for reprogramming and that’s it. Everything was covered by warranty.

Love driving it.

09escape

I am no longer an Escape fan. My 2006 Hybrid experienced a catastrophic (gasoline) engine failure at 65,000 miles and 37 months of ownership. The extended warranty expired @ 60,000 miles, so I was stuck with the $7,000 repair bill. Ford was *not* sympathetic or helpful.

I am now @ 80,000 miles (15,000 on the remanufactured engine which, ironically, has a better warranty than the original), and the front suspension feels and sounds "loose". It is looking like new front struts and shocks are in my future - another BIG expense for components that should *not* fail on an over-maintained vehicle.

The replacement vehicle will not be a Ford product.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

I am no longer an Escape fan. My 2006 Hybrid experienced a catastrophic (gasoline) engine failure at 65,000 miles and 37 months of ownership. The extended warranty expired @ 60,000 miles, so I was stuck with the $7,000 repair bill. Ford was *not* sympathetic or helpful.

I am now @ 80,000 miles (15,000 on the remanufactured engine which, ironically, has a better warranty than the original), and the front suspension feels and sounds "loose". It is looking like new front struts and shocks are in my future - another BIG expense for components that should *not* fail on an over-maintained vehicle.

I don't get it. You complained about your experience with the Escape Hybrid and continue to drive it? Why do you still drive this vehicle if it is a pain in the rear?

How do you "over maintain" struts and shocks? Eighty-thousand miles on the original shocks and struts doesn't sound over maintained, nor is it an unreasonable lifespan for the original equipment, especially the shocks. Does "looking like" mean that you are guessing about the struts and shocks being bad, or could it be something else, such as the swaybar links?

Replace it. The Ford Hybrids are still bringing good money. My Mariner hybrid has 115,000. No major issues. I replaced the struts and sway bar links. Since you are hell bent on hating it. Just sell it.

Replace it. The Ford Hybrids are still bringing good money. My Mariner hybrid has 115,000. No major issues. I replaced the struts and sway bar links. Since you are hell bent on hating it. Just sell it.

80k and your complaining they need replacement? You also try to get 50k between oil changes? 80k and the best shocks are gone.

I just got back from NYC and the bulk of taxis [beside the Crown Vic] are Hybrid Ford Escape taxis...There are other Hybrids running around but most have the Escape Hybrid...I rode in [2] 05 Escape taxis with over 200K miles on them and the drivers only complaint was it was slow on take off from traffic lights...Besides that they have no issues with them whatsoever and they hold up on the nasty streets just fine.

I drove up from Miami to NYC and saw tons of Escapes on the road [i-95] both coming and going...I see tons of Escapes down here in Miami everyday.

Most people overall perfer the 3.0 V6 Duratec gas engine Escape instead of the I-4 Hybrid and gas I-4.