Contractors in while Pipefitters work production

Here I am beating a dead horse again about contractors working in plants. I work at the Romeo plant and we currently have pipefitting contractors here hanging sprinkler lines while pipefitters that were laid off are working the production line. The least this union can do considering the upcoming layoffs is allow the pipefitters to do the work the contractors are doing even if it is only a temporary assignment. There are a ton of contractors in this plant over our shutdown here and it blows my mind that the local union allows this to happen.

• Like 1

It could be worse...you could be assembling vehicles in one of Ford's South American plants. In these plants, the suppliers bring their parts to the Ford plant and have THEIR employees assemble the vehicle. No employees means $0.00 per hour paid by Ford Motor Company...pretty tough to beat THOSE cost cutting measures...

It could be worse...you could be assembling vehicles in one of Ford's South American plants. In these plants, the suppliers bring their parts to the Ford plant and have THEIR employees assemble the vehicle. No employees means $0.00 per hour paid by Ford Motor Company...pretty tough to beat THOSE cost cutting measures...

WHAT KINDA REPLAY IS THIS

You must be Salary.

In this Country Unionized workers shouldn’t have to put up with contractors doing trades work while our tradesmen are on ILO or placed on assembling cars/trucks on the line.

How about we start focusing on pushing our Government to help out manufacturing with tax incentives like – Healthcare Costs – Building Tax – Property Tax – Shipping Costs? These are the areas and only the areas of cost that will save manufacturing in the US. Even if we worked at your $0.00 an hour, we still cost nearly $28.00 - $32.00 an hour.

Our Government and our Union (with lobbying) has to step up to the plate and help out with areas of manufacturing tax incentives or all the middle class as we know it will be lost and in a very short time. I’m not just talking about auto manufacturing, I’m talking about all manufacturing in the US.

Until then, please stop taking the easy way out with saying “any job is better then no job”. I’m certainly glad our fathers didn’t follow that simple minded shit. Trust me, when they are done with attacking the hourly in auto manufacturing, Nursing – Teachers – Cops – Trucking etc etc are next. Then watch the minimum wage tank along with everyone else’s other then top CEO’s and the greedy rich.

Uhhhh....What the hell does working in South America have to do with our local allowing contractors into the Romeo plant??? I'm lost!

and you own a VW JETTA? :finger:

It could be worse...you might find something REALLY witty to write...!

Ok Racing Richard.

I say we start lobbying Ford, GM and Chrysler to cut Salary’s pay until they are all in line with comparison to each hourly member's annual pay increases since 1980. In 1980 a UAW auto worker earned on average $30k annually. At the same time the Big 3 top CEO’s earned nearly $2.2 million or 73 times the amount of our blue collar wages. In 2007 UAW workers earned nearly $50k annually while our top CEO was paid aprox $21.7 million or 434 times the amount of our blue collar wages.

Lets look at Dearborn’s Salary annual pay debt. There are aprox 381 salaried folks and on average earning $73,434 yearly. This cost rages from Director of Engineering salary of $193,000 to an Ergonomic Engineer salary of $70,000. Take the average salary cost and times it by 381 and you have $27,978,354. Now take 10% off the top from high to low and you just saved $2.7 Million a year at Dearborn alone.

Now take a guess at what it costs each company from sales of there product to pay its hourly work force. The hourly work force pay makes up only 10% of the total vehicle cost. Wow, what a cost to squabble over.

I think we should lobby Ford, GM and Chrysler for 20% pay cut across the board on the Salary side. This alone would save Ford Motor Company $5.4 Million yearly at Dearborn. Take that number of savings on average across each Ford plant and you have aprox $151 Million a year. Even if we settled for 10%, that’s $75.5 million annually.

How’s that for witty Dick?

Edited by ReDemption

In case you haven't come the realization yet.....The country lost 8 million jobs during our current recession, the predictions are that 4 million of those jobs are never coming back. That giant sucking sound you hear is jobs, jobs gone to china, india, south Africa etc....If you think anybody in America is immune to conditions brought on by our domestic policies think again.....You think housing values will come back, when wages continue to fall, sorry the ripple effects are just beginning to show expect further declines in America.....the race to the bottom

Here I am beating a dead horse again about contractors working in plants. I work at the Romeo plant and we currently have pipefitting contractors here hanging sprinkler lines while pipefitters that were laid off are working the production line. The least this union can do considering the upcoming layoffs is allow the pipefitters to do the work the contractors are doing even if it is only a temporary assignment. There are a ton of contractors in this plant over our shutdown here and it blows my mind that the local union allows this to happen.

There is language in the contract to combat what you describe ............One the first questions in labor notification meeting should be "any trades on layoff" Then labor clearance is denied

if company still brings in the contractors take the grievance to strike stage

Now that I have your attention, I don’t believe the hourly pay and salary pay is the issue. We can keep going back and forth about it, but it’s not really the dilemma. The point that I was making is the fact we are so easily led to into the “pay” issue as the “salvation” to manufacturing. Both sides can make good points to cost savings when it comes to pay amounts.

Ford Motor Company is opining a plant in China for $450 million. It cost more then that to renovate a plant here in the states. Sure the hourly work force will cost less, but so will the salary work force. It’s the manufacturing cost incentives that are the main reasons (plus being a global company) for opening plants off shore. The Government backed manufacturing incentives given by foreign countries are huge reasons for building plants there.

The price that Ford, GM and Chrysler pay its work force (salary and hourly) is worth the product and quality produced here in the states. Mulally saved Ford motor company, but so did the hourly workforce with the concessions we accepted and that’s the part a lot of people seem to forget, or should I say want to forget.

It’s the greed factor that kills manufacturing in the states. So many have their hands out to get their piece of the pie when a company opens its doors or tries to here in the states. Take a look at Legacy costs (the real gap between the big 3 and their competitors) and start lobbying for some type of tax incentive given if you have x amount of retirees on your books. In my opinion that’s when we really start helping out our US manufacturing companies and then we just might see some re-opening of plants here in the states.

Be Good

Ok Racing Richard.

I say we start lobbying Ford, GM and Chrysler to cut Salary’s pay until they are all in line with comparison to each hourly member's annual pay increases since 1980. In 1980 a UAW auto worker earned on average $30k annually. At the same time the Big 3 top CEO’s earned nearly $2.2 million or 73 times the amount of our blue collar wages. In 2007 UAW workers earned nearly $50k annually while our top CEO was paid aprox $21.7 million or 434 times the amount of our blue collar wages.

Lets look at Dearborn’s Salary annual pay debt. There are aprox 381 salaried folks and on average earning $73,434 yearly. This cost rages from Director of Engineering salary of $193,000 to an Ergonomic Engineer salary of $70,000. Take the average salary cost and times it by 381 and you have $27,978,354. Now take 10% off the top from high to low and you just saved $2.7 Million a year at Dearborn alone.

Now take a guess at what it costs each company from sales of there product to pay its hourly work force. The hourly work force pay makes up only 10% of the total vehicle cost. Wow, what a cost to squabble over.

I think we should lobby Ford, GM and Chrysler for 20% pay cut across the board on the Salary side. This alone would save Ford Motor Company $5.4 Million yearly at Dearborn. Take that number of savings on average across each Ford plant and you have aprox $151 Million a year. Even if we settled for 10%, that’s $75.5 million annually.

How’s that for witty Dick?

I love a numbers person, good post and way to get the information out. You should be making a flyer and passing that out next time they think about concessions for the hourly. I am one who believes you could save a ton of money by cuts to the white collar force after all someone has to build the car. Lets hear it from the salaried side, we are educated blah blah blah so are hourly, we are going to lose talent blah blah blah, good luck finding a new job in this market with that talent, we work harder than the hourly blah blah blah, last time I checked that air conditioned office felt pretty good, lets ask them to make a competitive salary like other foreign competitors and see what they blah blah about now.

Thanks Stang, but that wasn’t my point really. What I was trying to show was how easily we can all attach anyone’s pay.

We as Americans need to start lobbing our Government for our middle class future by pushing the envelope of tax incentives for US manufacturing. Also a real health care reform and not a joke. We need to equalize the rules of NAFTA and if we and our Government really want to see the housing crash turn around, it can only happen with creating JOBS. I’m not talking about minimum wage jobs that they are all cooking the books with to seem as if jobs are increasing. I’m talking about middle class manufacturing jobs that we can be proud of.

But if you want this Union brother to believe that the only difference between us big 3 workers and our competitors is the 10% of the total cost of the product produced, you can save your breath and blow smoke up someone else’s ass.