MyKey for 09 Escape

akirby

Preparing to buy my daughter a used 09 escape in a few months. I wanted the 09 so it would have Sync but I wasn't sure if the 09 Escapes came with MyKey as either optional or standard. Anybody remember?

If I recall, and I may be wrong, MyKey wasn't available until the '10 models.

Looks like you're right. Damn. Gotta get the 09 to get Sync and the 2010 to get MyKey. Decisions, decisions.........

http://media.fordvehicles.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=29985

In my opinion -- after teaching and observing my daughter's driving -- I don't think MyKey is really beneficial. You may be better off just getting her an '09. As long as she has the brains to drive responsibly, that's all that matters. That's just my opinion, though.

Good luck!

In my opinion -- after teaching and observing my daughter's driving -- I don't think MyKey is really beneficial. You may be better off just getting her an '09. As long as she has the brains to drive responsibly, that's all that matters. That's just my opinion, though.

Good luck!

Even the most responsible teenager will do something stupid. But I agree it's not a deal breaker.

Even the most responsible teenager will do something stupid. But I agree it's not a deal breaker.

I agree. But in most cases, I doubt a MyKey function would help.

Here's a good example. I was in the passenger seat while my daughter was driving...yes, I survived to tell the story...she decides to change lanes without even looking at the other lane. She would have sideswiped another car had that driver not swerved over. Boy was I embarassed -- and pissed. :confused:

Anyway, if you can find a nice '09 Escape, I would go for it.

I agree. But in most cases, I doubt a MyKey function would help.

Here's a good example. I was in the passenger seat while my daughter was driving...yes, I survived to tell the story...she decides to change lanes without even looking at the other lane. She would have sideswiped another car had that driver not swerved over. Boy was I embarassed -- and pissed. :confused:

Crap! Now I have to wait for BLIS.........(j/k)

Radio volume was one of the more attractive features of MyKey along with seatbelt reminder. Unfortunately it can't fix inattentiveness which is the major problem with most teen drivers.

There is also a OBD-II based data recorder that serves as a nanny-cam - recording your teen's driving parameters (acceleration, speed, etc.). Just knowing that they're being monitored should make them drive a little more carefully.

Take a look at this, it does everything including Max speed, Max RPM, Avg Speed etc for every trip and just plugs into the OBD II connection: http://scangauge.com/

» Maximum Speed

» Average Speed

» Maximum Coolant Temperature

» Maximum RPM

» Driving Time

» Driving Distance

» Fuel Used

» Trip Fuel Economy

» Distance to Empty

» Time to Empty

» Fuel to Empty

Yeah; but do you really want to know all that? Sometimes, I'd prefer not knowing how she's driving. It would give me nightmares and make me lose sleep. :hysterical:

When she gets a speeding ticket for 91mph and says she was only going the speed limit, it would be nice to know when you take it to court though! Same thing when she is in a accident, having this kind of information may be helpful. I have 4 of them to monitor my MPG in all of my Fords, and can read any trouble codes if I get any. It can also clear the trouble codes if the problem goes away. I get this with emissions issues some times and just reset and see if they come back. If you look at my recent videos here you can see I have 2 of them in my '09 FEH to monitor my tank MPG among everything else. I can also program it to find anything including hybrid problems that can't be found on a standard scan tools.

I got pulled over by a nasty cop that said I was doing 46mph in a 30mph zone. I showed him my scangauge readings and he dropped that crap real quick. Any time you shut the key Off for more than 3 seconds, it starts a new trip OD. It stores everything for current, the day, yesterday, and the entire tank if you reset it at each tank fill-up.

Many FEH and hybrid owners own at least one SGII, but also many non hybrid owners have them also. Great tool that just plugs-in to your OBD II connection above your brake pedal and your ready to go in minutes after a quick set-up of the size engine, gas tank, type of fuel (gas, diesel, Hybrid etc) and can be adjusted to your OD distance. It turns On and Off itself with the Key and you can hide it under the dash if you want.

get a 2010 and Ill get you a PIN......... case closed!

edited to say, you can get a Mariner with all the rebates too at this point......

I get Ford Partner x plan but thanks for the offer. I will check into a leftover Mariner if the price is right.

it would be nice to know when you take it to court though!

Not admissible evidence. Scangauge gives only the max speed. It does not reference speed / time. There are commercial data loggers used in fleet operations that do but they are expensive and again, probably not admissible. Even when used in the overseeing of young drivers, the storage capability is limited to a day or two. Plus speed in many cases is the least of the problem with young drivers. Today there are too many distractions in operating a vehicle from vastly increased traffic on the roadways to testing, cell phones, upgraded audio systems, gps and a basic inexperience in the operation of a car.

Hate to date myself but when I learned a AM radio was about it and even in the NY/NJ area traffic was nowhere near what it is today. Nothing is going to relieve parents of the fear felt the first time the kids take out a car solo. But all in all, thirty years of handling and reviewing mva's, kids were not the majority in crashes.

Edited by rscalzo

Not admissible evidence. Scangauge gives only the max speed. It does not reference speed / time. There are commercial data loggers used in fleet operations that do but they are expensive and again, probably not admissible. Even when used in the overseeing of young drivers, the storage capability is limited to a day or two. Plus speed in many cases is the least of the problem with young drivers. Today there are too many distractions in operating a vehicle from vastly increased traffic on the roadways to testing, cell phones, upgraded audio systems, gps and a basic inexperience in the operation of a car.

Hate to date myself but when I learned a AM radio was about it and even in the NY/NJ area traffic was nowhere near what it is today. Nothing is going to relieve parents of the fear felt the first time the kids take out a car solo. But all in all, thirty years of handling and reviewing mva's, kids were not the majority in crashes.

I didn't think it was admissable but wasn't positive. Also, don't you need to state the calibration stats?

My daughter's "practice" car has been hit twice thus far in her one year of driving solo. First time was in the high school parking lot when another girl backed right into her without checking for oncoming traffic first. The second time, we have no clue. I just happened to notice that the car was swiped in the front passenger corner. My kid thinks it was while she was in class at school. Basically, someone hit the car and took off.

I didn't think it was admissible but wasn't positive. Also, don't you need to state the calibration stats?

There are several requirements to have speed measurements admissible in a court proceeding. Calibration is one. Calibration of the calibration devices is another. Observation of the vehicle. How could anyone testify who was operating the vehicle at the time of the electronic device's reading? Does the speed measurement correspond to a time? Even GPS was not certified as a speed measuring device recently in a state court. Don't have the cite at the moment.

But the units do provide a lot of information usable by a frightened parent.

Fords proprietary software allows much more data to be obtained but my experience with is was limited. I was also told it is expensive and not distributed outside the company. that was a few years ago though,.