'11 Explorer: Cloth vs. Leather

Age old topic, I know. However, it appears the textiles Ford is using in its cars and trucks is a lot more durable than cloth in older offerings. I was just curious to know if anyone had any experience with this seemingly "tougher" material. I have leather now and to be honest it doesn't do much for me. Especially during warm days here in Southern California. I'd like to know of any additional pro's and cons such as having kids with either fabric, etc. Thanks!

First,read the "fine" print. Is it a leather "seating surface" or "leather trimmed" ?

Second, leather is not always the most "durable" material. I know someone doing some durability testing on some seats and they were noticeably poor condition after 1000 cycles of entering and exiting the vehicle.

Age old topic, I know. However, it appears the textiles Ford is using in its cars and trucks is a lot more durable than cloth in older offerings. I was just curious to know if anyone had any experience with this seemingly "tougher" material. I have leather now and to be honest it doesn't do much for me. Especially during warm days here in Southern California. I'd like to know of any additional pro's and cons such as having kids with either fabric, etc. Thanks!

I have leather in both my '08 Mustang and my wife's '08 Mountaineer. Before that I had the "premium" cloth in a '97 Explorer. The seats in that Explorer arguably look newer after 271K miles than the leather in the newer cars. No wear spots, no wrinkles, and still comfortable. Had one kid climb all over the back seat with muddy shoes years ago and it cleaned up like new using some baby wipes. I sort of wish they still offered an upgraded cloth seat with all the bells and whistles (6 way power, lumbar, heaters) that they do on leather like they did in '97.

=Vic=

The question of cloth vs. leather really boils down to personal preference. Both can be durable long term depending on how they're cared for, abused, etc. Fairly basic Explorer XLT's will be stocked at dealers with cloth interiors but the more options on the vehicle and the higher the price, the more likely that the vehicle will have a leather interior.

• 2 weeks later...

The question of cloth vs. leather really boils down to personal preference. Both can be durable long term depending on how they're cared for, abused, etc. Fairly basic Explorer XLT's will be stocked at dealers with cloth interiors but the more options on the vehicle and the higher the price, the more likely that the vehicle will have a leather interior.

Do leather seats have any leather at all in them anymore? Especially in popular priced vehicles like Explorers. It looks like all vinyl to me. And vinyl would be far more durable than leather.

I know for years folks have said leather seats mean leather seating surfaces, or trim, etc. And I think that was true 20-30 years ago, or something. But now I believe they are allowed to call leatherete, or leather looking, or leather acting materials....real leather. I'm thinking durable cloth in a color that doesn't show dirt may be the superior fabric. I just don't think leather seating has enough leather, if any at all actually, to be useful for better breathing. Real leather would be leather all the way thru, would crack like heck in heat, and would be very hi maintenance....like cars from the 50's and 60's with real leather.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Do leather seats have any leather at all in them anymore? Especially in popular priced vehicles like Explorers. It looks like all vinyl to me. And vinyl would be far more durable than leather.

I know for years folks have said leather seats mean leather seating surfaces, or trim, etc. And I think that was true 20-30 years ago, or something. But now I believe they are allowed to call leatherete, or leather looking, or leather acting materials....real leather. I'm thinking durable cloth in a color that doesn't show dirt may be the superior fabric. I just don't think leather seating has enough leather, if any at all actually, to be useful for better breathing. Real leather would be leather all the way thru, would crack like heck in heat, and would be very hi maintenance....like cars from the 50's and 60's with real leather.

Years ago (1974-1980) I owned a 1974 Mercury Cougar XR-7 and then a 1976 Mercury Cougar XR-7 that I kept until 1980. Back then the standard interiors were a "super soft" vinyl with leather trim being the factory option. Even then, you'd have trouble telling the difference between the two other than the price. I trust that much the same is true today. Depending on the vehicle owner's preferences today and their use or abuse, whether it's vinyl or leather actual trim it'll probably outlast the cloth trim by a wide margin and add to the vehicle's resale value. In addition, once a new vehicle's MSRP gets past $30,000 it gets harder for dealers to not order the leather trim option as at that price point it's pretty much expected.