Super Duty beds not rectangular?!

Having driven new Ford pickups in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, I was shocked when I pulled up behind a Super Duty and took a close look and noticed the side sheet metal on the body of the bed was tapered in at the rear. To put it another way, the ridge at the top of the sides is wider at the front than it is at the rear. Can I assume this is more for aerodynamics than cosmetics?

Having driven new Ford pickups in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, I was shocked when I pulled up behind a Super Duty and took a close look and noticed the side sheet metal on the body of the bed was tapered in at the rear. To put it another way, the ridge at the top of the sides is wider at the front than it is at the rear. Can I assume this is more for aerodynamics than cosmetics?

Ha, you oughta look at the bed rails on my 06 flareside....talk about curved!

It's because they originally shared the taillights and tailgate with that generation F150. It required them to taper the bed back to transition from the wider cab to the F-150 tailight-tailgate combo at the rear. I never liked the way it looked. Each update I am waiting for the correction of the proportions.

Edited by BigBadBflo