Lima Engine

fantasyfrank

do you have a copy of that ?

because i also have friends at SRP, and Sandusky, and THEY are not showing it.

Well ya better check your friends, because I have 3 friends at Sandusky who have text me and told me the postings are up in their plant. Why do people try to stir sh*t up just to be relevent?

i just checked, and as of today it is not posted in SALINE, ACH.

Dark,

The posting is up at all ACH locations. The Saline location included. If its not up you better get a hold of your committee or labor.

The posting is clear that it is following steps 1-4 of the hierarchy.

Good luck, I hear Lima is a country club....

This is what we have been told. Extra Ford shift means 250 jobs

Comments 16

October 19, 2010 6:23 PM

Bart Mills

Published Oct. 20, 2010

LIMA — The addition of a third shift at the Ford Engine Plant will mean about 250 more jobs for the community.

On Monday, Ford officials announced plans to add a third shift at the plant to keep up with an increased demand for the Lima-built Duratec engines, but gave few details of the plan. Tuesday, union leaders offered up those details.

According to Dave Rabe, president of United Auto Workers union Local 1219, the new shift will mean about 250 new positions, including the recall of 15 to 20 employees out on layoffs.

“This is great news to our plant,” Rabe said.

The new workers will be brought in starting in November and most crews should be on by the end of the year, Rabe said. New employees will be hired through the Allen County Department of Job and Family Services, according to Ford spokeswoman Marcey Evans.

Rabe would not say how much the new hires would make. The union agreed in 2007 to let some new workers start at about $14 an hour, and pay a larger share of their health insurance premiums. In recent months, Ford has negotiated with some plants to allow them to bring in new hires at that second-tier rate — about half the current assembly worker’s wage.

The need for a third shift is the result of increased sales of vehicles sporting the Lima-built 3.5- and 3.7-liter V6 engines, including the popular Taurus and some new models for 2011, Rabe said.

“This is driven by the sales of the new Edge and the launch of the new Explorer,” Rabe said. “Both of these vehicles will be powered by Lima engines.”

told..

Addition of a third shift. When will we see the posting of openings for skilled trades needed to support this third shift.

Dark,

The posting is up at all ACH locations. The Saline location included. If its not up you better get a hold of your committee or labor.

The posting is clear that it is following steps 1-4 of the hierarchy.

Good luck, I hear Lima is a country club....

ok thanks, can anybody post it here ? what is the last date to apply ?

Edited by dark271

hey did i read that right ? only 6K to move, then the work is going to cleveland in 2nd qtr of 2012, so than would have to go there ?

The volume has a good chance to move to Cleveland. If it does they will offer transfer of operations to go before any other location. You dont have to go if you are happy at Lima.

There are 2 opportunities on the moving allowance

1) Regular moving allowance will let you keep zone 1 as your home location. $6,000 for your first installment moving allowance.

2) Enhanced moving allowance will make Lima your home location. No RTBU for zone 1. Lima will be your home zone. $6,000 will be your first moving allowance installment.

Get more info on the moving allowance totals and payment plan from your job security rep.

Good luck

• Like 1

should not need any trades . They are pulling the trades that were reduced to production and calling the laid off trades back

The trades are all back to work in lima. They found a place for every single one of them. If you have decent production senority (2004) transferring to Lima you will be able to stay when the volume moves to cleveland.

• Like 3

According to the posting, here is a list of the plants that should have seen it.

Locations Posted: AAI, Atlanta HVC, Brownstown, DDMP, DEFTP, Detroit HVC, DSP, Fort Worth HVC, Greensboro HVC, Houston HVC, Indianapolis, Livonia, LAP, Maumee, Milan, Monroe, Nashville Glass, National Parts, Ontario HVC, Pilot Plant, R&E Center, Rawsonville, River Raisin Warehouse, Romeo Engine, Saline, Sandusky, Sharonville, Sheldon Road, Tulsa Glass, Utica Trim, Van Dyke, Walton Hills Stamping Plant, Wixom, Woodhaven Stamping, and Ypsilanti

Posting Deadline: Thursday, November 4, 2010

Hope this helps, good luck

I find it interesting that many people will come on here and voice their, rightfully so, opinion about how they feel that the IUAW has failed at this, or that, or how they should have done things differently. The interesting part is how I don’t see much praise for the things they have achieved for us, gainfully.

Additional UAW jobs gained at any plant in these times we live in should warrant membership respect and praise. These openings might even help to get some of our tradesmen back to their SOG’s and off the production line, further warranting our praise.

Some of you have read my posts, some have not, but if you have then you know for a fact I too question some of things (of my opinion) that are done wrong, or should I say not in our favor. But I will give praise for a job well done.

Gainful UAW employment, possible tradesmen back to their respective SOG’s, and moving allowances. Good Job IUAW.

Jeff Hodges

DTP Body Shop

Material Handling

C-Crew

The trades are all back to work in lima. They found a place for every single one of them. If you have decent production senority (2004) transferring to Lima you will be able to stay when the volume moves to cleveland.

Not true, some of your fellow Mill-Wrights are still on the street. There are only a few tradesmen that will not fall within the RTO numbers, was told our local is looking for ways to plug those few in though.

Not true, some of your fellow Mill-Wrights are still on the street. There are only a few tradesmen that will not fall within the RTO numbers, was told our local is looking for ways to plug those few in though.

Wrencher, this person is not a millwright, just hiding behind my username wanting everyone to think its me posting. Not very well informed if they dont know that all the trades aren't back to work yet. Probably a production worker and maybe even a girl.

I heard that Lima was only haveing this add shift for appx 18 months then the production goes to clev. Why doesn't for just keep the work in Lima, after all they have always had high quality and low cost. just doesn't sound right unless Ohio's govt. is giving ford a little something to move the work there

I heard that Lima was only haveing this add shift for appx 18 months then the production goes to clev. Why doesn't for just keep the work in Lima, after all they have always had high quality and low cost. just doesn't sound right unless Ohio's govt. is giving ford a little something to move the work there

We wish we knew exactly as to why the work is shifting to Cleveland..... With the work going to CEP in 18 months, we don't even understand exactly why we are being forced to take permanent transfers as opposed to temporary transfers. Some of us even feel that once the work does go to CEP that they, meaning CEP, will play games and try to deny people the right to transfer under the "transfer of operations" part of the contract. We make all the FWD motors and CEP makes all the RWD motors, see to potential for games to be played????

As far a trades transferring in, we have enough to support the third shift and still will have a dozen or so working in production. I don't see any postings for trades going up any time soon. That's not to say, there could possibly be temporary trade postings to finish tearing out the old V6 and maybe an install, if any new work comes our way.

We wish we knew exactly as to why the work is shifting to Cleveland..... With the work going to CEP in 18 months, we don't even understand exactly why we are being forced to take permanent transfers as opposed to temporary transfers. Some of us even feel that once the work does go to CEP that they, meaning CEP, will play games and try to deny people the right to transfer under the "transfer of operations" part of the contract. We make all the FWD motors and CEP makes all the RWD motors, see to potential for games to be played????

As far a trades transferring in, we have enough to support the third shift and still will have a dozen or so working in production. I don't see any postings for trades going up any time soon. That's not to say, there could possibly be temporary trade postings to finish tearing out the old V6 and maybe an install, if any new work comes our way.

The work has the potential to go to Cleveland. The company doesnt know what it it is doing day to day, they surely dont know what they are doing 18 months from now. I dont believe those engines are leaving Lima. If they do put the volume in Cleveland, upwards of150 people or more will have voluntary transfer of operation protection as well as moving allowances.

Sorry I dont see game playing here. I see the IUAW holding the company to the contract.

Seems to me you are trying to discourage members from going to Lima for whatever reason. I do have several friends that signed the posting and they are looking forward to starting a new life in Lima.

I would hope that the Lima membership treat the transfers with respect and open arms and not like scabs. These are our Brothers and Sisters that need to feed their families.

• Like 1

The work has the potential to go to Cleveland. The company doesnt know what it it is doing day to day, they surely dont know what they are doing 18 months from now. I dont believe those engines are leaving Lima. If they do put the volume in Cleveland, upwards of150 people or more will have voluntary transfer of operation protection as well as moving allowances.

Sorry I dont see game playing here. I see the IUAW holding the company to the contract.

Seems to me you are trying to discourage members from going to Lima for whatever reason. I do have several friends that signed the posting and they are looking forward to starting a new life in Lima.

I would hope that the Lima membership treat the transfers with respect and open arms and not like scabs. These are our Brothers and Sisters that need to feed their families.

I am not trying to discourage anyone from coming to Lima .And you are correct when you say that these people are our brothers and sisters that need to feed families, but they are going to come here and will displace brothers and sisters here with families to feed. If we had a product that would sustain the workforce, long term, I would gladly welcome 1000 new people. The fact is, we won't have the work to sustain everyone. Myself, as well as MANY others, feel that since the company is saying this increase in volume is temporary, so should the transfers. As far as this work being permanent/long term, if you go through the machining areas a look at DCP's and other documents, they all have an end date of 2013. ALOT of our engineering staff will come right out and tell you, point blank, in 5 years D35/37 at Lima WILL be a thing of the past. Another thing that you need to realize, the days of 20 year product life cycles are long gone, 10 years (approximately) will become the norm in powertrain, D35/37 is in it's 5th-6th year at Lima.

To make another point to you about CEP playing games. I am not sure if you are aware of the bad blood that exists between CEP and Lima, it goes back 30 years. If CEP gets the chance to stick it to Lima, you better bet your ass that they will. As far as IUAW doing something about that, you ought to know, it's all political and IUAW will turn a blind eye. I have faith in them to do NOTHING!!!! CEP will say that the product they are building is something different than what LEP builds/built, and technically they would be correct, and that no one has "transfer of operations" rights.

Some points for you to ponder. Since so many of our people that transfered in from other plants complained when the original plan to hire temps was announced, why didn't they complain when CAP couldn't get enough people to sign and fill all those openings????? Why didn't they complain when CAP announced the mass hiring of temps to take those open positions, probably in excess of 700 jobs. Why didn't they complain that the contract WAS NOT being followed through the placement heirarchy, meaning people being forced into those open positions????

At this point, looking long term, everyone would be better served, if these people who have signed to come to Lima were sent/forced to CAP. The people that are moving would have longer term stability for their families as well as not displacing anyone locally when the volume drops off in a few months. It would also save the company a boat load of cash paying moving allowances one time as opposed to paying people to move to Lima, then paying people to move from Lima. Not to mention, the entire UAW rank and file would be best served as to the fact the language in the master agreement would be honored.

These people that are slated to come to Lima will have little or no effect on me personally, due to my seniority. I am, however, greatly concerned about the well being of our younger/junior people here at Lima that WILL be displaced.

Edited by lep_wrencher