Couple 2011 Edge Questions

Stryprod

Ordered a 2011 edge and should be currently being built as we speak. I have a few questions for those in the know, or for those who own a 2011 edge.

First, is the touch screen on the myFord Touch capacitive like an iPhone or is it more like a normal touch screen? Can anyone compare its feel to something common like perhaps the grocery store self checkout touch screens?

Secondly, is there any option (or suggestions) for a remote start on a 2011 SEL edge? I'm open to factory or aftermarket but I ave no experience with any particular brands like viper, ect.

Lastly, anyone have any experience with the all weather mat quality? The local dealer has none in stock and we have two new kids and we camp a lot so I want something rugged that will hold up well and protect the edge. Is it worth the price or would you suggest walmart (cheap) alternatives.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Congrats on the order! I may have on order shortly as well as soon as I can test drive one.

From what I recall, the touch screen is not capacitive, but the lower controls are.

I do not think remote start is available on the SEL, but you might have dealer-installed aftermarket options available. I don't have any personal experience with them to recommend a brand though.

As for the mats, I heard the Ford ones are pretty decent, but everyone on the forums here seems to swear by the aftermarket WeatherTech ones.

Hope I helped a little bit!

Congrats on the order! I may have on order shortly as well as soon as I can test drive one.

From what I recall, the touch screen is not capacitive, but the lower controls are.

I do not think remote start is available on the SEL, but you might have dealer-installed aftermarket options available. I don't have any personal experience with them to recommend a brand though.

As for the mats, I heard the Ford ones are pretty decent, but everyone on the forums here seems to swear by the aftermarket WeatherTech ones.

Hope I helped a little bit!

Nick-

Thanks so much for the information. I was unsure of the screen tech as it said on Edmunds its "like a smartphone" which was so vague.

Checking out the weatherTech site now, man those look nice (especially the digigfit), but wow they can be pricey. It seems there is no 2011, do you know if there is a difference? I'm apprehensive since its a model refresh and the floor layout might be different. Best to hold off I suppose but thanks for pointing these out!

Nick-

Thanks so much for the information. I was unsure of the screen tech as it said on Edmunds its "like a smartphone" which was so vague.

Checking out the weatherTech site now, man those look nice (especially the digigfit), but wow they can be pricey. It seems there is no 2011, do you know if there is a difference? I'm apprehensive since its a model refresh and the floor layout might be different. Best to hold off I suppose but thanks for pointing these out!

Hopefully I'll be testing one out in the next week or so. I'll try to remember to let you know.

Not certain on the floor mats. I would guess they are the same as the 2010's, but you can never be certain.

Hopefully I'll be testing one out in the next week or so. I'll try to remember to let you know.

Not certain on the floor mats. I would guess they are the same as the 2010's, but you can never be certain.

I have emailed WeatherTech and they think the 2011's will be the same as the 10's but they are still testing and won't say for sure if they are the same or not.

The touch screen is not as responsive as an iphone/pod but about the same as a garmin or blackberry. It works pretty well for me when I am patient and don't try to get ahead of it. Just like any microsoft product; if you get click happy, it will freeze temporarily. I am very happy with what I got and love driving it.

I have emailed WeatherTech and they think the 2011's will be the same as the 10's but they are still testing and won't say for sure if they are the same or not.

The touch screen is not as responsive as an iphone/pod but about the same as a garmin or blackberry. It works pretty well for me when I am patient and don't try to get ahead of it. Just like any microsoft product; if you get click happy, it will freeze temporarily. I am very happy with what I got and love driving it.

Good info! Thanks! Sounds like the response issue on the touch screen isn't nearly as bad as some are making it sound then.

Good info! Thanks! Sounds like the response issue on the touch screen isn't nearly as bad as some are making it sound then.

I'm wondering if some of the screens are more sensitive than others? Some people say they have to press *very* hard to get theirs to respond. If they have a wide quality-issue like that, here's to hoping mine is one of the 'light touch' variety! :D (on order... wasting time online while I wait it out)

I'm wondering if some of the screens are more sensitive than others? Some people say they have to press *very* hard to get theirs to respond. If they have a wide quality-issue like that, here's to hoping mine is one of the 'light touch' variety! :D (on order... wasting time online while I wait it out)

I have 2011 Edge on order (two actually and both with MyFord Touch), I have driven three at the dealer and I found all of them to have the same MyFord Touch response time. As choff said it is not at the responsiveness level of an iPhone. The response is a tad slower than I would like, much like my Garmin Nuvi. I noticed it the most when trying to quickly get through a few menu systems. If I went too fast there were times that I was working faster than the unit responded and resulted in my touching the button a couple times in rapid succession. Also the LCD has a matte finish (good for in an vehicle), not glossy like a smartphone.

Bottom line, the system is still top notch and didn't deter me one second on my decision to purchase. Also the MyFord Touch passed the wife acceptance factor, and she has an iPhone.

Edited by mozariwc

Have you checked out www.fordedgeforum.com - another great place to kill time while waiting. Lots more activity then this one.

good screen protector.... http://www.nushield.com/specials.php can be found there - worth getting.

I also find you really have to touch right where they say - not around it. But it is good. I have an iphone and touch - not the same but good.

Ordered a 2011 edge and should be currently being built as we speak. I have a few questions for those in the know, or for those who own a 2011 edge.

First, is the touch screen on the myFord Touch capacitive like an iPhone or is it more like a normal touch screen? Can anyone compare its feel to something common like perhaps the grocery store self checkout touch screens?

Secondly, is there any option (or suggestions) for a remote start on a 2011 SEL edge? I'm open to factory or aftermarket but I ave no experience with any particular brands like viper, ect.

Lastly, anyone have any experience with the all weather mat quality? The local dealer has none in stock and we have two new kids and we camp a lot so I want something rugged that will hold up well and protect the edge. Is it worth the price or would you suggest walmart (cheap) alternatives.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I have a 2011 SEL with MyFord Touch and find the screen to be pretty responsive. Like someone else said, it might take a second to react, but I don't have to touch it hard to get it to work.

I don't know about remote start on SEL.

But I did get the All weather floor mats from the factory. I really like them and think they will hold up well. They are different from 2010, there is another thread somewhere that talks about the mats. I am going to invest in the cargo area mat as things seem to slide around on the carpet back there...

Overall really love my Edge. So glad I waited for a 2011.

I have a 2011 SEL with MyFord Touch and find the screen to be pretty responsive. Like someone else said, it might take a second to react, but I don't have to touch it hard to get it to work.

I don't know about remote start on SEL.

But I did get the All weather floor mats from the factory. I really like them and think they will hold up well. They are different from 2010, there is another thread somewhere that talks about the mats. I am going to invest in the cargo area mat as things seem to slide around on the carpet back there...

Overall really love my Edge. So glad I waited for a 2011.

Regarding the remote start. Ford will be offering the Factory Remote Start. My dealer told me it would be available in December. It will come with new keys with 4 buttons including the remote start. The kit includes an antenna which is mounted in the rear drivers quarter panel and the keys. The dealer then has to enable the remote start in the Myford menu and it is ready to go. Also have to install a hood switch, but the wiring harness is already there on the SEL on the front passengers side of the radiator cover. The SEL's come from the factory ready to plug-n-play the OEM remote start system. The system is already listed on the fordaccessories.com page though not available til December.

Edited by jpelt

Regarding the remote start. Ford will be offering the Factory Remote Start. My dealer told me it would be available in December. It will come with new keys with 4 buttons including the remote start. The kit includes an antenna which is mounted in the rear drivers quarter panel and the keys. The dealer then has to enable the remote start in the Myford menu and it is ready to go. Also have to install a hood switch, but the wiring harness is already there on the SEL on the front passengers side of the radiator cover. The SEL's come from the factory ready to plug-n-play the OEM remote start system. The system is already listed on the fordaccessories.com page though not available til December.

Makes sense, as Remote Start is already available on the Limited and Sport. Good to see it looks like a pretty simple plug-and-play operation.