Traction Control on 2007 Limited Expy

Goalie30

Lately the traction control system on my 2007 Limited Expy has been activating and the indicator on the dash will not turn off unless I park and shut the truck off and start it back up again. Taking a trip this weekend and I am wondering if I need to take the truck in to get it looked at before we leave. Any ideas as to why this is happening ?

Lately the traction control system on my 2007 Limited Expy has been activating and the indicator on the dash will not turn off unless I park and shut the truck off and start it back up again. Taking a trip this weekend and I am wondering if I need to take the truck in to get it looked at before we leave. Any ideas as to why this is happening ?

My guess is the ABS wheel speed sensor is bad since that's what TC uses. Shouldn't hurt normal brake operation though.

This should not harm the transmission, brakes, gear boxes.....

Not if it's just a bad sensor - it just disables the TC and ABS functionality. But if it's actually tripping the traction control constantly then that might be a problem but then you'd notice the brakes being applied and/or engine torque being reduced.

Not if it's just a bad sensor - it just disables the TC and ABS functionality. But if it's actually tripping the traction control constantly then that might be a problem but then you'd notice the brakes being applied and/or engine torque being reduced.

How big of a fix if it just the sensor? Or if it is something other than the sensor?

How big of a fix if it just the sensor? Or if it is something other than the sensor?

I don't think it's too hard but I've never done it or seen it done. I just know that it's a common problem. I don't think you can tell which sensor it is without hooking it up to the diagnostic computer though. I also don't know if there is a recalibration procedure or test procedure. I don't think I'd risk it unless you had done it before. Besides, you probably need to test it to confirm it which points to a visit to the mechanic. But if it's not activating it should be ok to drive.

• 7 months later...

Update on my traction control issue. The Traction control has been activating when accelerating on flat, dry pavement. I can feel it rev or torque the engine -but if I have to put the brakes on I get a grinding and shudder in the truck. Grinding is like when the brake pads are worn. It is really bad and makes me wonder what would happen at highway speeds if it happens and have to hit the brakes hard. It happens intermittently and has been at 20-35 MPH. Afraid of the damage - I pull over and turn the truck off, restart and go on my way. So far that has "stopped" the event.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...