Build Question

midwestbiker

I've got a 2011 Edge Limited ordered, have the VIN and found out it has enterd production today (thank you Cyberdman). My questions are for my education and information for this entire process (a first for me). I knoiw no matter how much I hope, the new Edge will not get to me any quicker no matter what answers are given.

I understand a production date does not necessarily equate to a build date. Can someone explain the difference and if a production date usually means the build date is concurrent or followed closely?

Also I am curious as to how long the average Edge build takes once the sticker (or order) "starts" its' trip down the assembly line. I saw a thread about a mustang that it took an average of 4 to 5 days from start to completion, then a day or two for quality control before it is shipped.

I totally understand that it would be an average and many factors go into this but it would help me visualize the process. The Harley factory in Pensylvania is the only thing I can relate this whole process to (plus some tv commercials) as I found that tour facinating. My bike was at the dealer and not a custom special order so I didn't experience this when I bought it.

Thanks,

Midwestbiker

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this answers you question but this is from the FAQ in the tracking forum.

Q. What is the AVERAGE wait time between the various dates?

A. Remember that this as only a guideline (except as noted) and in no way a guarantee.

* Receipt Date to Serialize Date: Anywhere from a right away to few days; UNLESS there is a material hold or it is near the end of the model year run and there is a chance that car won't make it to production for that model year.

* Serialize Date to Segment Date: Anywhere from a right away to few days.

* Segment Date to Sequence Date: A week or two.

* Sequence Date to Blend Date: This is usually one of the longest waits, it can be anywhere from a week to a month (or longer if the vehicle is a special edition or limited run!) It is completely dependant on the anticipated build date, the blend date will be almost exactly one week before the build date.

* Blend Date to Produced Date: One week, NEVER before. Sometimes later if there is a production hiccup at the plant but seldom more than 2 weeks.

* Produced Date to Gate Release Date: Same day as Produced to a week.

Gate Release Date to Ship Date: Same day as Gate Release to a week or even two.

Ship Date to Arrival Date: One to two weeks depending on your proximity to the plant.

Arrival Date to Sold Date: Well, that depends on how quickly your dealer preps your car and you come to pick it up

Thanks, My ordered edge is now off the train and awaiting delivery to the dealer (for the last 5 days :censored: ). Once they get it - if early enough - they should prep it that day or the next (if not a weekend) so I can pick it up.

I didn't think I would be so anxious to get it delivered - and can imagine in a few weeks (when the first payment is due), I'll wonder why I couldn't wait.

Ordered 18 December and am soooo hoping to get the call today to come and get it. Last I know, it was off the train and released to the transport folks for delivery to the dealer (6 Feb). It's only 40 miles :banghead:

Anyway, have my fingers crossed that today will be the SOLD date and I pick it up. I honestly wish FORD had a way to monitor and track new car orders by the customer instead of having to rely on the dealer info or, in the case of some lucky folks that heard about this site, monitor the progress through Cyberdman. Kudos to Cyberdman as we know he doesn't have to do this - but chooses to. I'd buy the dude a beer if I could :beerchug:

Ordered 18 December and am soooo hoping to get the call today to come and get it. Last I know, it was off the train and released to the transport folks for delivery to the dealer (6 Feb). It's only 40 miles :banghead:

Anyway, have my fingers crossed that today will be the SOLD date and I pick it up. I honestly wish FORD had a way to monitor and track new car orders by the customer instead of having to rely on the dealer info or, in the case of some lucky folks that heard about this site, monitor the progress through Cyberdman. Kudos to Cyberdman as we know he doesn't have to do this - but chooses to. I'd buy the dude a beer if I could :beerchug:

8 weeks not bad! I'll cross my fingers for you on the delivery!!!

Yes, the wheels do look very nice. Word of advice though, if you live in a snowy area make sure you clean those wheels often. We had the chrome wheels on our Edge and our Ohio winter had them looking horrible by spring. It took quite a few hours with the chrome polish to have them looking like new again.

• 2 months later...