2012 Focus with SFE gets EPA 28/40

tjl

Argh, I want to know the non-SFE numbers. I'll guess 26/37 for the automatic.

I just downloaded the window sticker for an auto/SEL ordered for local dealer stock and the EPA estimate is 27/37.

[edit] Whoa...the other dealer stock vehicle, an auto/SE has a sticker with EPA estimates of 28/38. Huh? Both are 5-door models and show a combined estimate of 31 MPG.

Edited by mrgdr57

The only Focus I can pull up in the local dealer inventory is an S trim Sedan with a manual transmission. The window sticker is reading 26/36 for that one and 30 mpg combined. It's a base S with no options and stickers for $16,995. I thought the FE would be better than that really. However I have always done better than what the EPA says on my last 3 Fords.

You can see it here.

Edited by baggs32

The only Focus I can pull up in the local dealer inventory is an S trim Sedan with a manual transmission. The window sticker is reading 26/36 for that one and 30 mpg combined. It's a base S with no options and stickers for $16,995. I thought the FE would be better than that really. However I have always done better than what the EPA says on my last 3 Fords.

You can see it here.

Manuals typically have numerically higher gearing which makes for lower MPG, especially against the powershift DSG.

If anyone could post links to the window stickers so we could check out the MPG between trims/transmissions I would appreciate it. Specifically the Titanium model. Thanks.

I found some just by entering local zipcodes in the inventory tool ( http://www.inventory.ford.com/2012-Ford-Focus#page=/ChooseYourPath/ ) and switching between dealers. So far I've only found 3 around metro detroit. All S models with autos and no other options.

My dealer now shows five hatchbacks on order for stock - all automatics; one SEL and four SEs. I wonder if this is due to the production run or if the dealer anticipates hatchback sales to be stronger than sedan sales. The press consistently poo-poos hatches as being undesirable in the U.S. but the practicality is undeniable and IFO prefer the design of the Focus hatch to the sedan.

According to Kicking Tires, the rest of the Focus lineup will return a slightly less exciting 38 mpg on the highway and 28 mpg around town (31 mpg combined) when equipped with a six-speed automatic gearbox. The manual transmission Focus will hit 36 mpg on the highway and 26 mpg in city driving (30 mpg combined). Not best-in-class, but not too shabby, either.

According to Kicking Tires, the rest of the Focus lineup will return a slightly less exciting 38 mpg on the highway and 28 mpg around town (31 mpg combined) when equipped with a six-speed automatic gearbox.

Not best-in-class, but not too shabby, either.

28/38 w/auto isn't best in class? It beats everything except the new Elantra quite handily. And the SFE version is within 1 mpg of the Elantra. I'd call that best in class.

Honda Civic 25/36

Mazda3 24/33

Toyota Corolla 26/34

Volkswagen Jetta 24/31

Chevrolet Cruze Eco 26/37

Hyundai Elantra 29/40

28/38 w/auto isn't best in class? It beats everything except the new Elantra quite handily. And the SFE version is within 1 mpg of the Elantra. I'd call that best in class.

Honda Civic 25/36

Mazda3 24/33

Toyota Corolla 26/34

Volkswagen Jetta 24/31

Hyundai Elantra 29/40

Especially when you consider that based on early reviews, the Focus is fastest (at least with the PowerShift "auto"; Car & Driver got 7.6 seconds to 60 mph), the most fun to drive, and the most solid, quiet, and stable on the road. It's also considerably heavier than the new Elantra.

Honda Civic 25/36

Mazda3 24/33

Toyota Corolla 26/34

Volkswagen Jetta 24/31

Hyundai Elantra 29/40

I agree. Personally, I'll be thrilled with a combined average of 31 MPG. Sure beats my current daily driver's 18 MPG (that's not the LS, BTW).

Manuals typically have numerically higher gearing which makes for lower MPG, especially against the powershift DSG.

I meant as a whole the mpg surprised me. Meaning I was surprised the SFE gets 3 mpg more on the highway than the ATX and 4 more than the MTX. The newer auto trannies have consistenly been better in FE ratings for at least 5 years now but that wasn't always the case. More gears and better gear ratios are to blame as you semi-eluded to.

Ok, so the Focus is not exactly going to be the class leader without the SFE package, but look at its other qualities.

Best styling.......Focus is a Ferrari as the Elantra is a Corolla. The Elantra looks nice in photos, but is boring in person!

Best driving/handling......fun, fun, fun!

Best technology

Best hp

Best safety

Best quality

Ok, so the Focus is not exactly going to be the class leader without the SFE package, but look at its other qualities.

Good Grief! Can you people not count?

Except for the much smaller and lighter Elantra Sedan, the Focus blows away the rest of the competition in fuel economy without the SFE model. And I just saw that those FE ratings for the Elantra are only for the Sedan. The hatchback gets 23/31.

Let me post it again.

Focus non SFE 28/38

Honda Civic 25/36

Mazda3 24/33

Toyota Corolla 26/34

Volkswagen Jetta 24/31

Hyundai Elantra Touring (wagon) 23/31

Hyundai Elantra 29/40

Edited by akirby

Good Grief! Can you people not count?

Except for the much smaller and lighter Elantra Sedan, the Focus blows away the rest of the competition in fuel economy without the SFE model. And I just saw that those FE ratings for the Elantra are only for the Sedan. The hatchback gets 23/31.

Let me post it again.

Focus non SFE 28/38

Honda Civic 25/36

Mazda3 24/33

Toyota Corolla 26/34

Volkswagen Jetta 24/31

Hyundai Elantra Touring (wagon) 23/31

Hyundai Elantra 29/40

You've just repeated DEREKC's assertion. :reading:

btw, the Elantra sedan is not "much smaller" than the Mk3 Focus.

Edited by aneekr

You've just repeated DEREKC's assertion. :reading:

btw, the Elantra sedan is not "much smaller" than the Mk3 Focus.

The Elantra sedan is 9" narrower than the Focus sedan and weighs 200 lbs. less. To me that is much smaller and part of what enables the higher mileage.

The Focus is so far ahead of the rest of the class including the Elantra wagon that it should get at least get best-in-class co-status with the Elantra sedan.

Note that the Elantra Touring hatchback / wagon is a different car from both the old Elantra sedan and the new Elantra sedan (and was not redesigned for 2011). But it is relatively thirsty for its size, due to its older tech engine and low gearing.

Consumer Reports finished testing a new Elantra sedan (automatic). Although its EPA numbers of 29/40 are better than that of the Fiestas that they tested (manual 28/37, automatic 29/38), Consumer Reports did not get as good fuel economy in the Elantra as they did with the Fiestas. Still the Elantra did beat all of its class in Consumer Reports fuel economy tests except for the Civic Hybrid and the Corolla (which seemed to do a lot better in their fuel economy test than in the EPA, even though they thought it was a pretty dull driving car otherwise).

Back to the new Focus, the summary of EPA fuel economy is:

Manual: 26/36

Automatic: 28/38

Automatic with SFE: 28/40

I found stickers for Titanium and SEL hatches and an auto SE sedan. The Titanium and SEL are rated 27/37, the SE sedan is rated 28/38. I am encountering uploading errors and will make another attempt later this afternoon as an edit to this post.

I found stickers for Titanium and SEL hatches and an auto SE sedan. The Titanium and SEL are rated 27/37, the SE sedan is rated 28/38. I am encountering uploading errors and will make another attempt later this afternoon as an edit to this post.

Kinda expected the hatches to be a bit worse - they usually have somewhat worse aerodynamics (although the hatch is also a bit lighter)