2012 Honda Civic: Good, in a sea of Great

PREMiERdrum

honda+civic+exterior.jpg

The Honda Civic is an institution. Since its introduction to the US market in 1973, it has grown in size, presence, and reputation to be the 2nd best selling small car today (only beaten by soulless and dated Corolla). Throughout most of its life, it has won buyers over with its conservative styling, straightforward interior, and impressive fuel economy.

When it came time for the men and woman at Honda to redesign the Civic for the 2006 model year, the powers that be decided to separate the US Civic from the European Civic. Another huge departure was ditching the handsome, conservative styling in favor of a new sharp, angular design language . The wedge-like Civic proved popular in the marketplace, despite reviews pointing out the odd interior set up.

The very unusual gauge pod setup sure didn't seem to phase buyers: Honda sold more than 260,000 Civics in 2010. The angular model that hit the scene as a 2006 model was still selling well, but after 6 model years in the marketplace it was time for a change. In early 2011 Honda being releasing teaser images of the next generation Civic. The internet community was buzzing over what stance Honda would take to fight in a segment that was becoming ripe with new competitors.

Ahead of the 2011 New York International Auto Show, Honda digitally pulled back the curtain on the new Civic. The internet responded with a collective "meh..."

Continued at LINK

Edited by PREMiERdrum

I think it's too early to write off a car that no one's driven. Hondas have never been spec-sheet winners anyway -- it's the overall ease of operation with sharper-than-normal handling that's won fans. If that improves even with the car looking similar -- and it's not as if Ford and others have made great strides in how a car drives without changing its overall shape -- then it will continue to attract customers for more than its name.

I've long said the Civic is pricey for what you get, and that will probably still be the case, but there's still a pretty good chance it will be more than competitive with the other pricey small cars.

Also, typo correction: faze, not phase.

Edited by DC Car Examiner

I think it's too early to write off a car that no one's driven. Hondas have never been spec-sheet winners anyway -- it's the overall ease of operation with sharper-than-normal handling that's won fans. If that improves even with the car looking similar -- and it's not as if Ford and others have made great strides in how a car drives without changing its overall shape -- then it will continue to attract customers for more than its name.

I've long said the Civic is pricey for what you get, and that will probably still be the case, but there's still a pretty good chance it will be more than competitive with the other pricey small cars.

Also, typo correction: faze, not phase.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll defend my commentary, though... I never "wrote the car off." I came to the same conclusion as many other publications: The bar has been raised by the competition and this Civic doesn't measure up. A double-DIN head unit in a new-for-2012 car? That interior design? The minimal exterior changes?I don't need to drive it to see those things.

Hopefully, after some seat time in the new Civic and Focus, I'll be able to elaborate (I've had a hot second in a Cruze and new Elantra).

Interior shows obvious cost cutting needed to be done to off set the currency shift in Japan.

I do not expect Honda to follow VW lower MSRP game though, but this new Civic interior does look low rent .

I can't yet judge materials (though I'll be sitting in one this weekend), but the design itself is poor and lags behind the Focus, Cruze, and even Elantra (which didn't exactly impress me). But chin up, Honda. It's better than the ancient Corolla! :hysterical:

A double-DIN head unit in a new-for-2012 car?

Some people may actually prefer that, since it allows a relatively clean installation of an aftermarket head unit. A double DIN head unit with GPS navigation costs a lot less than factory GPS navigation.

Some people may actually prefer that, since it allows a relatively clean installation of an aftermarket head unit. A double DIN head unit with GPS navigation costs a lot less than factory GPS navigation.

But its also more of a PIA to change out and not as clean IMO...its not like its the 1990's any more...I don't see a huge market for aftermarket headunits any more. Plus the new Ford Nav system thats based on SDcards is just under $800 bucks, which is a great price IMO.