04-06 F150 U-Joint price

bilge

Why is it more cost to replace the u-joints than to replace the driveshaft on the new model F150?

Just priced 2 u-joints which are on national backorder for another month, $210/ea ($420) + about 4 hours labor @ $50/hr ($200) = $620.

Replace the entire driveshaft that is available for $390 driveshaft and 0.5 hr labor ($25) = $415.

Two u-joints cost $420 and the driveshaft w/the ujoints costs $390?????

That makes no sense whatsoever. And the labor to install makes even less sense. ?

Edited by bilge

Why is it more cost to replace the u-joints than to replace the driveshaft on the new model F150?

Just priced 2 u-joints which are on national backorder for another month, $210/ea ($420) + about 4 hours labor @ $50/hr ($200) = $620.

Replace the entire driveshaft that is available for $390 driveshaft and 0.5 hr labor ($25) = $415.

Two u-joints cost $420 and the driveshaft w/the ujoints costs $390?????

That makes no sense whatsoever. And the labor to install makes even less sense. ?

How could you even need u joints on a 04-06 and if you did should be under warranty :shrug:

Live in an area that requires lots of driving. 60k+ miles a year on lots of trucks. Dirt everywhere, when it finally rains every once in a while, mud gets in everything. Wheels on these trucks very bad about catching mud and getting off balance, brakes go out every 15k miles, ujoints get worn.

Turned a $175 job into more than twice the cost. Guess a guy working out of a Ford needs a F250 cause the F150 can't go offroad? Has the 150 turned into a grocery hauler? If it has, I need to look at other brands.

All I can say is that engineer needs to have a drive shaft shafted where the sun don't shine.

Thanks for the explanation. Lots of wasted metal imo.

Bilge, this has been discussed (emphasis on the cuss part) repeatedly on the fmcdealer.com message boards, with any luck at all somebody with at least a hint of common sence at Ford will address the problem. In the mean time once again Ford has put it's dealership employees in a position of looking like complete idiots. :doh:

Bilge, this has been discussed (emphasis on the cuss part) repeatedly on the fmcdealer.com message boards, with any luck at all somebody with at least a hint of common sence at Ford will address the problem. In the mean time once again Ford has put it's dealership employees in a position of looking like complete idiots. :doh:

Just fixed today, 24 days later,, out of a truck over three weeks for a dang u-joint. Unreal. Simply unreal.

Been thinkin about this for same amount of time. You know, there are alot of animal species that have become extinct, some of the more recent would include a sabre tooth tiger or wooly mammoth within the last 10-12k years. There are even some tribes of people like Aztec or Mayans that are no longer a distinct power or much noticed, but were once a very powerful presence on earth.

These examples are just a couple, but one thing I can think of that is a common thread is that these species did not die all at once. The more current species died one or two at a time because they could not adapt to their environment quick enough to repopulate.

Ford is accomplishing the same result with it's customer base, killing them off one or two at a time, due to incompetence from management to dealer. But it does begin with the company that engineers the vehicle and builds it with the intention that it will sell to somebody, somewhere, no matter how bad the engineering. Sooner or later, there will not be enough customer base available that wants to be associated or buy a product from a company that cannot produce a product that is dependable. There will come a time when it will be too late to repopulate the customer base when the company finally realizes they are going extinct.

Bilge: I hope someone from fomco reads your post it is dead on I am taking my 04 f-150 in one more time for AC check it just doesn't get very cold last time all my dealer would do is check duct temp said it was withing ford specs and he could not check compressor pressure unless I wanted to pay for it after spending 30K for a truck with 20K you can imagine what I told them, this is there last chance and ford will be loosing me forever, like you said 1 or 2 at a time will add up eventually a very sad commentary :shrug:

Bilge: I hope someone from fomco reads your post it is dead on I am taking my 04 f-150 in one more time for AC check it just doesn't get very cold last time all my dealer would do is check duct temp said it was withing ford specs and he could not check compressor pressure unless I wanted to pay for it after spending 30K for a truck with 20K you can imagine what I told them, this is there last chance and ford will be loosing me forever, like you said 1 or 2 at a time will add up eventually a very sad commentary :shrug:

Kenp, the dealer you are using sucks. Go to another. To not check operating pressures is not checking the A/C at all.

As far as the u/j's are concerned, the replacement joints come with the tool to cut the stakes, a new u/j and snap rings to replace the old stakes. The shaft DOES have the grooves to accept clips. As far as price on the u/j's I am not sure, but the labor shouldn't have been over 1.5 hr for two joints.

Kenp, the dealer you are using sucks. Go to another. To not check operating pressures is not checking the A/C at all.

As far as the u/j's are concerned, the replacement joints come with the tool to cut the stakes, a new u/j and snap rings to replace the old stakes. The shaft DOES have the grooves to accept clips. As far as price on the u/j's I am not sure, but the labor shouldn't have been over 1.5 hr for two joints.

Heck, if I waited till the u-joints came off backorder, it would still be in the shop. Think b/o date was july 31. Then Ford would have to ship to the dealer. It would be a week or more into august until the WORK truck i need to make a living with was repaired for a simple 2 hour job. Went with the driveshaft w/joints which was cheaper than 2 joints. ??? And the new driveshaft can use clip in joints. Thinkin the Ford engineer was not using a clip w/his joint, prolly burned his fingers.